Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear hatch stuck

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2008, 03:56 PM
theykallmekem
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rear hatch stuck

i really do not use my rear hatch that much, except for the weekly groceries of about 20-30 lbs of dog food

i just used it about 2 nights ago and it was working just fine, then until today, the left (drivers side) does not want to open when using the key OR the button in the cockpit. is there any troubleshooting i can do or try before i pry it open with a crowbar ??

thanks in advance
Old 10-24-2008, 04:06 PM
krystar
Drifting

u can try to go in thru the back seat and see if the cylinder is turning the two bars. probably one of them disconnected or snapped. u might be able to pop the cylinder out completely.....i'll take a look tonite.
Old 10-24-2008, 04:41 PM
BeerBurner
Unbannable
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 44 Posts

Like Krystar said, go through the back seat and pull down the carpeting along the back of the hatch. You'll see a metal bar going to both hatch releases. If you manually pull one of those bars (I forget which direction) it should pop the hatch open.

Assuming nothing is broken, the releases may just need to be lub'd and/or adjusted.

BB.
Old 10-24-2008, 04:56 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 64 Posts

The latch has a white tab on it (what the bar connects to) and if the bar has popped off, you can actuate with latch with your finger.
Old 10-24-2008, 05:08 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Try pushing down on the side of the hatch that is stuck. This usually works for me.
Old 10-24-2008, 05:16 PM
87 944 C
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

push down a few times, if not crawl through the hatch and make sure everything is still connected. also if you can get someone to help. if the where the pin goes down has shifted just a little you can move it and have someone unlock it, then it'll open and you can readjust where the pin goes, then a lil wd40, and you're good to go.
Old 10-24-2008, 06:14 PM
theykallmekem
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by BeerBurner
Like Krystar said, go through the back seat and pull down the carpeting along the back of the hatch. You'll see a metal bar going to both hatch releases. If you manually pull one of those bars (I forget which direction) it should pop the hatch open.

Assuming nothing is broken, the releases may just need to be lub'd and/or adjusted.

BB.

i want to start by saying thank you to everyone because only YOU THE PEOPLE OF RENNLIST CAN CONVINCE ME TO GO INSIDE THAT DREADFUL CRAMPED PLACE MY REAR HATCH

the rear hatch is a place no one above 6 foot (i am about 6'2'') would like to be in.

but i did go back there and take apart the carpet and i checked the cylinder and it seems fine. the metal rod that if you push in the INWARD direction (both sides) is functioning.

i managed to get the hatch open (still is open) but with some force from the inside to push the hatch up. i put the key in and turned and it turned everything the way it should and i looked inside the hole where the 2 latch "pins" go inside to lock it and it opens and closes fine.

i then closed it again and tried opening it with the key, and still the passengers side only opens and the drivers side sits there...locked. i opened the hatch again (manually from the INSIDE) and decided to update you guys
Old 10-24-2008, 06:15 PM
theykallmekem
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Techno Duck
Try pushing down on the side of the hatch that is stuck. This usually works for me.
did that, and i got nothing. i always did that before too if it did get fidgety on me
Old 10-24-2008, 06:26 PM
Andy1212
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Your hatch pins need to be adjusted.
Old 10-24-2008, 06:33 PM
Wipeout
Not Special
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Another thing you can try is to do is use something (or a second person) to hold the electronic release down and lift up on it from outside the hatch.

You may need to adjust the hatch pin.
Old 10-24-2008, 06:36 PM
theykallmekem
Burning Brakes

how do i re-adjust them?? i have the automotive repair manual for the 944 and to no avail, they have nothing on this particular problem..

and i am the only one here at my house until later tonite, my brother and sister are out being teenagers and mom is out working late
Old 10-24-2008, 06:54 PM
Andy1212
Burning Brakes

To re-adjust them, i unscrew them all the way until they are about to come out. Then i tighten them half a turn at a time until they catch equally and there is no play in the hatch. If they are too tight, it will be hard to turn the key. If they are too loose the hatch will have a little bit of play. if they are not equal, they wont release the same.
Old 10-24-2008, 07:14 PM
theykallmekem
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Andy1212
To re-adjust them, i unscrew them all the way until they are about to come out. Then i tighten them half a turn at a time until they catch equally and there is no play in the hatch. If they are too tight, it will be hard to turn the key. If they are too loose the hatch will have a little bit of play. if they are not equal, they wont release the same.

going to the garage right now

thank you so much
Old 10-24-2008, 07:44 PM
Wipeout
Not Special
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Also, from Clark's Garage about the rear hatch...
A noisy rear hatch (squeaking or rattling) can be caused by several different things.

Over time, the hatch seals tend to dry out and shrink. As a result, the hatch does not fit as tightly and it can rattle or squeak. If so, this can often be corrected by adjusting the two posts on the rear hatch. To adjust the posts, loosen the lock nut next to the hatch. To tighten the post, turn it clockwise several turns and then tighten down the lock nut. Be careful not to tighten the post to much or the hatch will difficult to latch and unlatch.

Another possible cause is latch mechanism for the rear hatch. The latch mechanism needs to periodically lubricated. Use a good quality grease to lubricate the latch mechanisms on both sides. A combination of lubrication and adjusting the posts will often solve a squeaky hatch.

Finally, the most difficult hatch repair is caused by the rear glass separating from the hatch frame. This is caused by repeatedly slamming the rear hatch. The vibration caused by slamming the hatch closed, over time, causes the glass to separate from the frame. That's why it's important to close the hatch by lowering it down against the hatch opening gently and then pushing down on the rear of the hatch to latch it.
Old 10-24-2008, 07:48 PM
Andy1212
Burning Brakes

Oh yea definatly use some type of lubrication for the release mechanisms. I use anti-corrosion marine grade grease that comes in an aerosol can.

Quick Reply: Rear hatch stuck