Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HOT AIR blowing out prob

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2002, 04:49 PM
mallen
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post HOT AIR blowing out prob

"83 944 with the hot air constantly blowing on my feet! i know there have been lots of posts on this; #1, i don't have the plastic clip and rod that everyone is talking about. #2 any suggestions where i should start to figure out what is causing this HEAT? #3 the vacuum reservoir near the battery, where is the vacuum line supposed to be going? thanks for any help.....i'm dying already!!
Old 06-01-2002, 05:30 PM
jim968
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I honestly don't know Jack about anything specific to the pre-'85.5 heater systems, never having owned anything earlier than an '88 but here are a few general thoughts, until someone with more specific knowledge comes along:

A) There's got to be a heater control valve to turn the hot water to the heater core on & off. It'll be in the heater hoses / lines somewhere, likely in the engine bay. Trace these hoses (right side of engine, probably) 'til you come to an unidentified object. Likely location is just behind the engine, on / near the firewall (hard to see or reach, standard Porsche engineering).

B) There's got to be a method of operating this valve from the heater control panel in the dash, likely either a cable pull or a vacuum actuator. Look & see what type of actuator is on the valve, a pull lever for the cable or a vacuum dashpot (see photos under "Another Climate Control Post", probably on page two of this board).

C) As a temporary measure, figure out how to close the valve & secure it in the closed position, maybe with a tie-wrap or bread-bag tie.

This'll at least get you started, maybe.... good luck.

Jim, hot enough for misery, without adding heat...
Old 06-01-2002, 05:35 PM
mallen
AutoX

thanks for the advice, jim. i know where the heater valve is and i tried playing with the arm but it goes only so far and thats it......its not stopping the heat. i even tried clamping the heater hose, but wasn't successful.
Old 06-01-2002, 08:05 PM
Gerald Allgire
Instructor

Are all your cables hooked up to the dash controls? On my 84, if you move both of the upper controls to the center the heat will try to come out the center dash vents, as it should. When i first got mine the heater control valve cable was bent which kept me fromclosing the heater valve all the way. Man was it warm until I fixed that. If you pinched off the heater hose that should have helped, unless it wasn't the heater hose.
Old 06-01-2002, 08:16 PM
ERAU-944
Race Car

on early 944's the heater valve is behind the engine over the bell housing. sounds like it could be stuck partially open... is hot air coming from everywhere? or is it just at your feet... weird!
Old 06-02-2002, 09:37 AM
mallen
AutoX

the hot air comes out of all vents, not just the feet (of course, i close the dashboard vents so it comes out just at the feet). i couldn't totally clamp off the heater hose (no needle nose vise grips). my next step is to buy some vise grips that will clamp the entire hose; before i replace the valve. any other suggestions anyone???? thanks
Old 06-02-2002, 12:30 PM
mideastmafia
Three Wheelin'

yes.. look in the engine behind the speed and reference sensors close to the firewall.. there is a white plastic rod with a metal wire connected to it.. this is the heater tunnel on/off vent. you should be able to pull it closed with your hand. it is the hardest thing to actually see or describe, but keep looking, you will see it.

SHAUN
Old 06-02-2002, 12:39 PM
mideastmafia
Three Wheelin'

down in THIS area..

SHAUN
Old 06-04-2002, 12:24 AM
Dick Ruddell
Instructor

I had a similar problem with my '86 NA. It would