Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MAXTRONIC Sweetness!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2008, 11:10 PM
eman930
Banned

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Default MAXTRONIC Sweetness!!

Well, just finished installing the Maxtronic with a little help from Russell, Loaded up the 944Max maps and a 944maxR map, Took it for a ride and OMG this things is crazy. In my modded 924S it Really woke this thing up. SMOOOTH power great torque threw the whole rpm range. It might be different for a stock 944 but it seems this was the missing link for my 924S. Im hoping I get a chance to play around a little this weekend, My WOT maps need a little work, I get a little buck at around 3800-4500rpm, But this may be due to me running to much fuel with my Maf tuner. Anyway Russell and his products are great. He helped me out with the install and didnt mind me calling him for some help, Great guy and easy to talk to. His products are nicely made and Work GReat. Anyone else running a Maxtronic on the NA????
Old 10-20-2008, 11:14 PM
MM951
Race Director

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

Good to hear! Russell is sending me some chips to use while I send the maxtronic back for a check/ replacement
Old 10-21-2008, 10:35 AM
harrisonrick
Captain Obvious
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wonder if he has done any updates to the 944S chip?

I got one from him last year...hmmm...Russell?
Old 10-21-2008, 11:24 AM
roman944
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

wait, a chip for the N/A?
Old 10-21-2008, 02:07 PM
billthe3
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So there are people with working maxtronics? I need to contact russel cause mine ain't working (my own fault, long story), and when I checked last week his website was down...
Old 10-21-2008, 02:13 PM
rberry951
Temprarily Banned per IB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by billthe3
So there are people with working maxtronics? I need to contact russel cause mine ain't working (my own fault, long story), and when I checked last week his website was down...
BILL!!!!

I swear, you and I suffer from the world's worst timing when trying to contact one another. Comcast tech accidently disconnected me one day last week, everything was down for the better part of a day as I was away and didn't realize it until I got home that night. But yes, there's 43 units out there working fine. Fast924S is the first to use it on a 944NA, most are in 951s and one in a 911 Carrera with a Scivision MAF. PM me your number and a good time to call so we can get you sorted out.

Regards,
Russell
Old 10-21-2008, 02:13 PM
rberry951
Temprarily Banned per IB

Originally Posted by roman944
wait, a chip for the N/A?
Yep, released them in August.
Old 10-21-2008, 02:15 PM
rberry951
Temprarily Banned per IB

Originally Posted by fast924S
Well, just finished installing the Maxtronic with a little help from Russell, Loaded up the 944Max maps and a 944maxR map, Took it for a ride and OMG this things is crazy. In my modded 924S it Really woke this thing up. SMOOOTH power great torque threw the whole rpm range. It might be different for a stock 944 but it seems this was the missing link for my 924S. Im hoping I get a chance to play around a little this weekend, My WOT maps need a little work, I get a little buck at around 3800-4500rpm, But this may be due to me running to much fuel with my Maf tuner. Anyway Russell and his products are great. He helped me out with the install and didnt mind me calling him for some help, Great guy and easy to talk to. His products are nicely made and Work GReat. Anyone else running a Maxtronic on the NA????
Before you tweak your Maf tuner, give the R2 I put in your directory a try.

Thanks for the great testimonial!

Regards,
Russell
Old 10-21-2008, 02:17 PM
rberry951
Temprarily Banned per IB

Originally Posted by harrisonrick
I wonder if he has done any updates to the 944S chip?

I got one from him last year...hmmm...Russell?
Hey Rick,

Haven't done any more development on the 944S chip. That is the one I worked with Jesse on extensively. He went to the dyno many times, I don't think there's much room for improvement on that one. Would you like me to make you a Race chip for it?

Regards,
Russell
Old 10-21-2008, 02:44 PM
rmconner80
Advanced

I've got the S chip in my car, seems very nice. My impression, albeit totally subjective: smoother and a bit quicker to go up through the revs. I use 93 octane.

I'd like to get it on the dyno someday just to see what my engine does. Of course I won't have any before charts for comparison (and i'm not digging the new chip out, swapping the old one in, and then installing the Max again...), but it would still be interesting.
Old 10-21-2008, 06:36 PM
eman930
Banned

Correction, First to use it on a 924S ;-) Anyway I got some time to play with it coming hpme from work, Figured out its the MAF tuner that is adding to much fuel, 2 clicks on the mid **** and all maps work great even at WOT, I Will give the new map a try but dont think I will need to, Russell, SHould I just leave the MAF tuner where it is and Use maxtronic to tune around it and make any corrections needed??
Old 10-21-2008, 07:26 PM
Reimu
Drifting

fast924S it looks like you are one of the few people actually trying to get power from a n/a.. Have you had a dyno yet?
Old 10-21-2008, 07:32 PM
Whisper
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by rberry951
Yep, released them in August.
And here, for your convenience, is a repost of my review. I had hoped to add more impressions, but as of now, my baby is sick with timing-belt-failure disease, so I'm not going to be testing any more prior to a new cylinder head.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Finally got around to putting the new chip in. First impressions are as follows:

The following message does not constitute a product endorsement, nor a guarantee, warranty or prediction.It is a subjective account of one customer's experience, and does not reflect any speculation upon the competence or character of the designer, manufacturer, or seller of this product, nor of any other person or entity.It does not represent the results of any scientific or statistical examination of the merits of any product, process, or technique, nor of the suitability of such for any purpose.Any individual who believes that their reputation, financial solvency, or mental and emotional well-being has been damaged by the following is therefore advised to put on their big-boy pants and deal with it.

The chip arrived inside a simple Farraday-cage chip box, stuffed into a priority mail envelope. The package did not include even an invoice, much less any instructions. While most customers, including myself, are unlikely to need such, a simple printed sheet or two describing installation and expected effects would have created a more professional appearance.

The chip itself did not have pin1 clearly marked, simply a notch which was to be aligned to a similar one from the stock chip. Again, marking pin1 and providing orientation diagrams would probably have been a good move, since there is no guarantee that the chip to replaced is stock.

Installation, however, was quite easy, since I am a software engineer and have taken apart more computer hardware than I care to remember. Purchasers would be well advised to have a chip puller on hand, since the pins on the stock chip are somewhat fragile. Don't use needle-nosed pliers.

Differences were immediately noticeable upon firing the engine. Idle is somewhat low when cold, a little higher than before when hot (perhaps 100 rpm each way).

Revving in neutral gives a smooth response. The engine is noticeably slower to heat from a cold start. This gives me some concern that the setup may cause engine wear in the long term, but I doubt the effect is pronounced.

Time to take it out on the road.

Now, there are, as I have pointed out, some rough edges to this chip. But once on the road, it is easy to realize where the effort and attention went.

Gone is the 'soggy' throttle response between 2k and 3k rpm; there is real power in this range now, not jerk-your-head-back power, but a vast improvement, and enough to get you up out of that area quickly and smoothly.

From 3k to 4k, gains are even more substantial. While the better lower range response eliminates that "turbo/VTEC/something just kicked in" transition that the stock vehicle has around 3.2k, the power continues to pile on smoothly from 3k to 4k, ramping up somewhat in the latter part of the range.

From 4k to 5k, gains become much less noticeable, and move towards converging with stock performance.

Above 5k, everything feels pretty much the same as stock.

This is not, however, to say that everything is in any way the same when you're going flat-out. The effect of the better response at low rpm is that one gets the tach up to the sweet spot much sooner, and this effects not only taking off, but every corner, every shift.

The 944's already-significant agility is enhanced by the much more rapid "bite" every time one gets back on throttle. One no longer has to wait to get a good head of speed back up, and this makes the 944 perform better where it really lives anyway... on curves.

When pushing hard, the chip only really appears to make a big difference for a very small percentage of the time, but it is those moments that count for a good deal, because they would otherwise be lost trying to get back up to the sweet spot.

Cars are often judged by their peak hp, because it's an easy number to quote, and people always want to simplify comparisons, to ask which car is "better, in a nutshell, for the five-second attention span, please". But what truly matters is the *average* hp, a number which depends not only on the integral of that entire power curve, but on the amount of time the vehicle spends on each part of that curve.

It is on both these factors that the MaxHP DME pays off. It doesn't turn a 944 into a 911, or even a 951, but in terms of performance payoff over (effort times money), it's a very high-yield modification indeed.

Test vehicle:

1986 944 N/A 2.5L w/cross-drilled crank and aftermarket exhaust
91 octane fuel.
Old 10-22-2008, 04:01 PM
MichelleJD
Jane Bond 007
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts

Russell:

Are the hardware problems dealt with yet?
Old 10-22-2008, 04:20 PM
eman930
Banned

Cameron, No dyno just yet, Still working little bugs out. But it does feel a lot better then it did when stock

Quick Reply: MAXTRONIC Sweetness!!