Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

central electrical board

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2008 | 09:02 PM
shelbythenewfy
AutoX

Angry central electrical board

i have a electrical prob in my 1985.5 944 all the guages are inop . the sunroof is inop. the a/c and cig is inop. someone said it is the central electrical board what is it. where is it located and how do you get a replacement thanks everyone
Old 10-20-2008 | 11:18 PM
Andy1212
Burning Brakes

No such thing. Check your grounds.
Old 10-21-2008 | 07:29 AM
shelbythenewfy
AutoX

did and i cleaned them any other directions i need help
Old 10-21-2008 | 10:14 AM
alordofchaos
Rennlist Member

Check fuses and relays?

If someone was fiddling with something, a short could have blown some. See what inoperative items have a commone relay or fuse, pull and check.

You could also try troubleshooting per clark's garage
www.clarks-garage.com
Old 10-21-2008 | 11:48 AM
DarylJ
Three Wheelin'

Is this another thread from the same guy?

Replace your ignition switch.
Old 10-21-2008 | 09:43 PM
shelbythenewfy
AutoX

CHECKED ALL FUSES AND RELAYS AND THEY SEEM GOOD, YOU MENTION THE IGNITION SWITCH WHY THE ONLY THINGS INOP IS THE INSTRUMENT CLUSTER,SUNROOF,ALARM,CLIMATE CONTROL,FOG LIGHTS EVERYTHING ELSE WORKS AS IT SHOULD, WHAT ABOUT THE FUSE BOX COULD THAT BE THE ISSUE THANKS EVERYONE
Old 10-22-2008 | 11:26 AM
DarylJ
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by shelbythenewfy
CHECKED ALL FUSES AND RELAYS AND THEY SEEM GOOD, YOU MENTION THE IGNITION SWITCH WHY THE ONLY THINGS INOP IS THE INSTRUMENT CLUSTER,SUNROOF,ALARM,CLIMATE CONTROL,FOG LIGHTS EVERYTHING ELSE WORKS AS IT SHOULD, WHAT ABOUT THE FUSE BOX COULD THAT BE THE ISSUE THANKS EVERYONE
Because the ignition switch goes bad due to plastic separation, and only some of the contacts make it sometimes. Based on what you say you've looked at so far, the next likely area of failure is the ignition switch. It's also relative inexpensive and easy to change.

Many of us here have been through crazy electrical gremlins that we chased around the whole car, only to find out that it was all the damn ignition switch. It's a poor design - it's held together by a plastic weld, and normally fails partially and intermittently instead of just dying 100% on you.
Old 10-22-2008 | 12:47 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

I like to do things systematically when tracing electrical faults.

If the fuses are good to all the circuits I would check to see if you are actualy getting 12v to each system.

Is there power at the a/c compressor clutch when you activate the switch? If yes then you have a compressor problem.

Is there power at the cig socket? If yes then you have a cig socket problem.

Is there power at the sunroof motor with the switch activated? If yes them you have a sunroof motor problem.

If all your instrument guages are inop then you can assume power is not getting there, unless you are very unlucky and all of your guages decided to fail at the same time. Power gets there via the ignition switch but also through three connectors at the rear of the inst cluster. I would check the connectors first and see if any of the pins have been pushed back. But as others have said, the ignition switch does fail and cause spurious problems.

Mike
Old 10-22-2008 | 10:37 PM
gtroth
Rennlist Member

Central Electric Board is the relay/fuse circuit board. You might look at it for corrosion / cold solder joints if you're worried about it. Could fit all your symptoms, I suppose.
Old 10-26-2008 | 03:35 PM
shelbythenewfy
AutoX

hey everyone i have checked my fuses,relays and today looked at the fuse box i relized there is no power goin to fuses 17-22 and a couple of others on that side does anyone think it is the fuse box i checked all the connections on the underside and they are seated all the way were can i get a good fuse box and any other ideas some of you said ignition switch how can i check it and were can i get one thanks again everyone
Old 10-26-2008 | 06:56 PM
DarylJ
Three Wheelin'

hey everyone i have checked my fuses,relays and today looked at the fuse box i relized there is no power goin to fuses 17-22 and a couple of others on that side does anyone think it is the fuse box i checked all the connections on the underside and they are seated all the way were can i get a good fuse box and any other ideas some of you said ignition switch how can i check it and were can i get one thanks again everyone
Every one of those fuses are on the accesory circuit. #1 - did you check with the ignition in the on position? #2- (broken record) did you check or replace your ignition switch?
Old 10-26-2008 | 07:47 PM
shelbythenewfy
AutoX

i did not check the ignition switch how do i go about doing that, and yes the ignition was in the on position and if i need to change the ignition how do i do that and where is a good place to order one thanks for all the help ps if i jump that side of fuses with a 12v lead everything works as it should except for the volt meter wich shows 10-11 volts will wait to hear from you and check out the switch this week thanks again
Old 10-27-2008 | 09:21 AM
DarylJ
Three Wheelin'

i did not check the ignition switch how do i go about doing that, and yes the ignition was in the on position and if i need to change the ignition how do i do that and where is a good place to order one thanks for all the help ps if i jump that side of fuses with a 12v lead everything works as it should except for the volt meter wich shows 10-11 volts will wait to hear from you and check out the switch this week thanks again
You can get to the ignition switch under the dash, right behind where you put the key in. It's not terribly hard to change (one wiring harness, two or three phillips head screws) but does require some contortions to get in there.

I'm not sure of a good way to bench test it - maybe someone here knows the pin outs to check with a multimeter. But the bad ones I've seen have been pretty obvious once they're out - you can see gaps between the plastic and metal parts - even push it back together (it won't stay).

You can get one from plenty of places, but Pelican Parts has it here:
http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/...13-012-00-M100
Old 10-27-2008 | 02:34 PM
shelbythenewfy
AutoX

thank you i will check it out and let you know
Old 10-27-2008 | 02:57 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

If you really need a fuse panel, the bottom part only that holds the relays and fuses, I have one $20 + shipping.

But I don't think it is the problem on your car, the ignition switch is more likely as everyone has said.

Quick Reply: central electrical board