Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

944 S2 Purchase advice for a Newbie

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2002, 12:05 AM
PASone
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Some may say I paid too much but I recently purchased a '91 944 S2 for 18K. It has 51K miles, all records and is in near new condition inside and out. I bought it from a dealer so I know it was on the high side but the car is in amazing condition.

-Paul
Old 12-22-2002, 12:51 AM
MCNETT
Intermediate

I bought my '89 S2 in late '97 for $8900.00and sold it in the spring of '99 for $9750.00! I still miss the car, but I am still amazed that I put 20,000 miles on it and the market demanded MORE money than when I bought it 1.5 years before. I think that the inherent worth of the 951, 944S2, and 968 are slowly moving up, not down. Just my observations.
-Mike
Old 12-22-2002, 12:54 AM
MCNETT
Intermediate

One more thing. If you try to purchase ANY sports car in the winter (up north at least) you will find yourself in a buyers market. If you look in spring/summer you will be in a sellers' market.
Old 12-22-2002, 01:21 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 116 Likes on 84 Posts
Brian,
I completely agree with your logic regarding aftermarket goodies. I've got a restored 68 forebird convertible that for 25 years I tried to keep as close to stock as possible.

but, let me get this straight with the figures,
you will have $6500 in an 86 with 109k, but will only give $7000 for an 89 with 38k less miles, three years newer, airbags, abs (at least for the insurance discount) and 15k on a clutch, less than 2k on tires, brakes, clutch master & slave, shocks, alternator, etc.

think about your numbers. they dont make sense.

Paul, when I bought my 89 S2 two years ago from a dealer I paid top dollar for a car with 56k, no paintwork ever, and was able to get backup on the maintenance, which wasnt needed by checking out the condition. It paid off when the clutch went two days later.

I usually get bored of a car after about three years. If my friend didnt have a '97 328 covertible in my wife's first choice of color, with all the options (except for the negative of bieng an auto) like sport suspension I want, roll hoops, no M package, and 30k on the clock, maintained by another friend etc (the lodge has some benefits), I wouldnt be selling my 944S2, especially in the winter. like MCNETT said, it's a buyers market right now.

And like Z said if the seller wants something else, (and soon)the buyer will benefit.
Old 12-22-2002, 09:15 PM
Brian McCoy
Addict
Rennlist Member

[quote]Originally posted by Tom R.:
<strong>
but, let me get this straight with the figures,
you will have $6500 in an 86 with 109k, but will only give $7000 for an 89 with 38k less miles, three years newer, airbags, abs (at least for the insurance discount) and 15k on a clutch, less than 2k on tires, brakes, clutch master & slave, shocks, alternator, etc.
</strong><hr></blockquote>

Got Boost?

I didn't say that your car wasn't worth several thousand more than mine - and I didn't say I paid what I thought was right for my car (I think $5k would have been about right), but I'm one hell of a 'cheap bastard'(tm). I want to buy several K under the market and sell for several K over... so I try to make those deals happen. I think that with my 951 I *might* make out even (not counting consumables like insurance, gas, tag/title fees, etc) when it comes time to sell in a little over a year. If not, then not and I'll do the best I can (just like Every seller out there). I think a major difference with me (on this list) is that the car just doesn't do that much for me. It looks nice and I felt proud to own it for about a month... but I think after 7 years without any car at all I'd fell the same way about anything that would have been bought. I'm actually looking forward to selling it even though I'm in no rush... I'll likely start advertising it this year just for kicks. In reality, a Honda Civic would fit my (very limited) needs better.

Anyway... good luck to all sellers and buyers. Hope you get/make the deal of a lifetime (on the GOOD side of that.. heh).
Old 12-23-2002, 12:00 PM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 126 Posts
You might find more cars out there in the spring. I have had little luck selling my 89 S2, even for under $6000, but I think that will change in the spring.

It seems like a lot of S2 buyers are looking for something in excellent condition and at a bargain price. When I bought an S2 I was more interested in the more powerful engine. I don't mind higher miles, stone chips, etc. but I need that extra 60 HP. My 89 has 170k on it and my 90 has 140k on it, both run great. At over 5800' above sea level you need a little extra HP to make up for the thin air and the S2 provides this easily. That's why I didn't mind getting a higher mileage S2 over a nicer NA.

Over the winter I plan to fix a few other details on the car and advertise it again in March or April. There isn't much point in trying to sell it in the winter. Other sellers might have the same opinion.

Good luck,
-Joel

Quick Reply: 944 S2 Purchase advice for a Newbie