Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shift Boot Install? Pics, this doesn't make sense...

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 09:56 PM
Joe Jackson
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Justin S2
Can someone please post a picture of the installed stainless cap with a black interior? I am considering buying the Rennbay cap, but I just want to make sure it does not look out of place.
I can send a bigger image if you'd like. Sorry, the focus isn't on the shift insert but this should give you a reasonable idea of what to expect.

Old 04-19-2010, 11:01 PM
UDPride
Thinking outside da' bun...
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 470 Likes on 242 Posts

bump
Old 04-19-2010, 11:12 PM
Joe Jackson
Pro

The shift **** should go down far enough to completely cover the rubber bushing at the bottom. You are missing the wire form clip that then retains the shift **** by hooking under that bushing but that's not causing your issue.

Pull the shift **** completely off the shift linkage. There should be a rubber bushing on the top of the shift linkage arm similar to the one at the bottom. Look inside of your shift **** where the shift linkage inserts. If you cannot see metal at the top of the hole, you likely have an old rubber bushing stuck up inside of your shift ****. Use some needle nose pliers to remove it and your shift **** should seat properly.

If some of this doesn't make sense, I can snap some photos to help.
Old 04-19-2010, 11:52 PM
ernie9468
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Talking

Don't know why you guys are having so much trouble installing shifters boot replace mine twice in 26 yrs I've owne my 944 each time it when like melted butter in the pan no problem LOL when installing I don't swear at it just just talk to it in low tone voice & be patient pics of the last one approx 8 years ago of course I retinted it since then.I think your rigth Joe the upper rubber bushing mith be the culprit if you have migth as well send them in.

Last edited by ernie9468; 02-04-2013 at 07:03 PM.
Old 04-20-2010, 12:29 AM
UDPride
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Joe Jackson
The shift **** should go down far enough to completely cover the rubber bushing at the bottom. You are missing the wire form clip that then retains the shift **** by hooking under that bushing but that's not causing your issue.

Pull the shift **** completely off the shift linkage. There should be a rubber bushing on the top of the shift linkage arm similar to the one at the bottom. Look inside of your shift **** where the shift linkage inserts. If you cannot see metal at the top of the hole, you likely have an old rubber bushing stuck up inside of your shift ****. Use some needle nose pliers to remove it and your shift **** should seat properly.

If some of this doesn't make sense, I can snap some photos to help.
I think I understand what youre talking about. Pull the boot off and look for another rectangular rubber thingy jammed up inside toward the top.
Old 04-20-2010, 12:54 PM
UDPride
Lifetime Rennlist

Took boot off. Stuck a screwdriver up the shaft and didnt feel much. Its pretty tight up there. Put it back on and took the tried and true brute force approach (rubber mallet, several blows), and got it down far enough so the boot doesnt snap off in the gear throws. Problem solved.
Old 04-20-2010, 10:11 PM
Joe Jackson
Pro

UDP, did you look inside of the ****? It should be just as open at the bottom of the hole as it as at the top. If your screw driver felt tight in the hole it's because something is stuck in there. Hopefully you didn't damage the bushing at the base of the shift lever with your mallet whacks.
Old 04-21-2010, 01:16 PM
UDPride
Lifetime Rennlist

I didnt take the **** off because I didnt want to deal with re-fitting the leather. Works fine now.

Quick Reply: Shift Boot Install? Pics, this doesn't make sense...