Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lacquer Thinner?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2008, 04:57 PM
Calmchaos
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Lacquer Thinner?

Hey all,
I'm about ready to paint, and my dad came home with dupli-color lacquer thinner. It says for thinning primer. Can I use this on the color (base coat), and the clear coat? I know it might sound stupid, but I want to make sure I don't ruin my paint.

Also what should I use to clean the spray gun between uses?

Bought all the paint from paintscratch, and the primer is already thinned. But it says that the color needs to be thinned 1:1 and the clear 1-2:1.

Thanks for any help!
Old 10-17-2008, 06:06 PM
jtsporsche
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you can probably use the thinner for the paint, but they make reducers for that. using thinner to clean the gun is a good idea, and when you're not using the gun, leave a little bit in there.
Old 10-17-2008, 06:33 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 107 Posts

Personally I would call paintscratch and confirm whatever you are planning. Nothing is worse than fisheyes and checking from using the wrong thinner.
Old 10-17-2008, 06:39 PM
Andy1212
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

No, you have to use reducer, preferably the same brand as your base/clear. I am assuming this is a urethane paint.

Last edited by Andy1212; 10-17-2008 at 09:44 PM.
Old 10-17-2008, 06:51 PM
Mike C.
Drifting

I wouldn't try and substitute for the proper reducer. I always use the reducer to clean the gun as well.
Old 10-17-2008, 08:08 PM
DarylJ
Three Wheelin'

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Definitely check the spec sheets for the paint. Mixing brands is a bad idea. I'm going through a pain prep right now, and I'm going to stick with 100% of the same system from the sealer up to the clear coat.
Old 10-17-2008, 08:18 PM
jmd_forest
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What you use to thin the paint is absolutely dependent on the type of paint you are using. Is your paint urethane, acrylic enamel, lacquer, emron, epoxy? Each type of paint requires a specific thinner, reducer, or activator. Additionally, some need a hardener. In addition to the specific thinners/reducers/activators each item has different blends for different temperature environments.

Talk to your paint vendor. They should be able to steer you to the correct product.

jmd_forest
Old 10-17-2008, 08:28 PM
Catfood
Burning Brakes

Just for you information red rustoleum matches up almost perfectly with 944 red. I painted my whole engine bay that way and it looks professional.
Old 10-17-2008, 08:49 PM
blown 944
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

no use it for cleaning only IMO.

You should use a 2 part primer to keep from having problems show up later.
Old 10-19-2008, 11:27 PM
Calmchaos
Rennlist Member

Paintscratch website says this:

"Using your own Spray Equipment
You must thin the paint before you can spray it from your own equipment. Thin the basecoat and midcoat paint 1:1 with automotive lacquer thinner (not the lacquer thinner sold at Home Depot, etc.). The clearcoat is usually thinned with 1 to 2 parts thinner to one part clearcoat. Check the label for instructions. The primer we sell is ready to spray and does not need to be thinned. Make sure you read the primer label if you ordered the pint, quart or gallon for instructions on how to use it. You can use a regular automotive spray gun, an airbrush or the Preval sprayer available at most auto parts stores.

You can use the recommended basemaker as a thinner (reducer.) Follow the directions on the basemaker label. They are different basemakers for different temperatures in the range of 65°-85°F so there are several to select from. For example, DUP7175S which would be a basemaker which would be suitable for temperatures up to 75°F. You will need to purchase this locally as there are several basemakers with different temperature ranges. Our paint does not need a catalyst or activator as it air dries. "

It says automotive lacquer thinner..... Now I'm even more confused...
Has anyone here used paintscratch stuff before?

Thanks!
Old 10-20-2008, 03:05 PM
DarylJ
Three Wheelin'

Why are you more confused? Automotive laquer thinner is different than the stuff you get at Home Depot to clean your paint brushes in. They seem to not care what type you use, which isn't much of a surprise, as long as it's automotive. Either order it from them, or find a body shop supply place.

This is the #1 problem with ordering paint off of the Internet. Find a nice local place, and talk to them. They'll likely help you, possibly even be interested in what you're trying to do. You can stick with ONE paint system start to finish, and have a tech to ask questions if necessary.

I'm going through this right now, and they're even cutting me deals on stuff - knowing that they're just gonna end up not making money on this - because normally all they do is sell drums of **** all day long. Find the right place and they'll be into it and want to help you.
Old 10-20-2008, 08:55 PM
Mike C.
Drifting

I second that. Find a local paint dealer who can answer questions for a newbie.
Old 10-21-2008, 02:33 PM
Calmchaos
Rennlist Member

ok, no sweat.... Thanks.
And I'm about to sound really stupid so bear with me..

How much primer should it take for a few coats?
I ordered a gallon and thought it would be way more than enough. But my dad went out this morning and used up the whole gallon. I have the bumpers, drip rails, doors, mirrors, and sunroof all separate from the car.
He covered everything, but I thought a gallon would be enough for a few coats.
It all looks like a nice even color, and coat.

He had the gravity feed gun spraying at 40psi and it was 60° where the car is being painted and, humidity was around 50% outside...

Thanks again.
Old 10-21-2008, 02:51 PM
DarylJ
Three Wheelin'

A gallon of primer in what state? Ready to spray? Yeah...not really gonna make it for a few coats. A gallon of primer that needs to be thinned it a different story. Depending on how much build you need, you could thin it 2:1, or up to 4:1 depending on the pain system. I'm pretty sure some of the DuPont production primers will go 4:1.

In any case, why are you priming? Do you have exposed metal? Are you planning on sealing as a midcoat before you paint you color coat? Or is you primer actually a primer/sealer?
Old 10-21-2008, 02:56 PM
Calmchaos
Rennlist Member

Tons of exposed metal... you have no idea how much stuff was wrong with the old paint. We had to sand it WAY down. The whole rear PS panel had to be sanded down to bare metal.

Thanks though. It was ready to spray primer. So I guess what was covered is pretty standard.

Quick Reply: Lacquer Thinner?