Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how do you shorten the bumper

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2008, 02:28 AM
Kevsporsche944
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how do you shorten the bumper

I want to remove the bumper pads from the front bumper and take it in about an inch or so. anyone have any ideas how to do this? In the gallery section LeadFoot944 has done this. In the pic i have attached.

Attachment 309261

Last edited by Kevsporsche944; 10-24-2009 at 03:55 AM.
Old 10-13-2008, 03:01 AM
drift a 944
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have done both, and believe me I would recommend NOT taking the bumper pads off, because you will be left with a bunch of ugly holes and maybe even some different colored paint underneath. If you know how to fill the holes in and repaint the bumper then its totally worth it. Im glad I eventually did that with mine.

But if you want to shorten the bumper, you must understand that you are eliminating the safety aspect of the bumper. All you have to do basically is remove the bumper and lower valence, then remove both bumper shocks. Drill a hole all the way through each bumper shock and then compress them in a vice while letting all the fluid drain out. Then reinstall.
The bumper will be shorter, but even if you merely tap someone then your car or yourself will absorb the impact instead of the bumper shocks. I drive my car rarely enough to not worry about it.
Old 10-13-2008, 03:29 AM
Kevsporsche944
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for your reply. I had thought of doing this for some time. The first car I saw this done to was your car. I love it. Im was going to have someone fill in the holes when I have the car repainted.
How far did you push yours in? will the bumper move back out/ forward? Wondered if the shocks will move in and out after you drain it.
Old 10-13-2008, 09:02 AM
murrayg
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

hi,

Drift is right, this is not as straight forward as it sounds. But the results are totally worth it! Here is how I did mine:

First the holes that are left behind the pads. I removed the bumper and filled the holes with JB weld. Then used light weight body fill to finish the face of the bumper. I also moved the signal lights outwards about 3/4 of an inch and hid the gap with a small flat black plate. Been 3 years and not a crack in the JB Weld!!

Now how to sink the bumper....... safely. I feel that draining the oil is a bad move and as drift pointed out removes all protection on front end impact. Here is what I did: first I cut off the mounting flange from the shock and moved it forward by 3/4 of an inch. It was tricky to reweld the flange on the shock without damaging it, but its possible. You must keep the shock body cooled in water as you weld and weld only 1/2 inch at a time, then stop and allow the weld to cool. Next, I moved the mounting point on the "rod end" of the shock back 3/4 of an inch. This was achieved by drilling a new mounting hole behind the exsisting one and shorting the mount. This caused some interference with the shortened "rod" into the bumper, but slight trimming of the aluminum bumper mount area solved that. These 2 mods place the bumper back 1.5 inches.

What this leaves you is a cleaned up front end that looks great....and will still function. Sure, in a front end impact you will now bend up some front sheet metal as the bumper moves back, but thats better than bent frames and back / neck braces.

Hope this helps, let me know if anyone wants more info on this, I'n not sure how clear the above is.

Gord.
Attached Images  

Last edited by murrayg; 10-13-2008 at 10:28 AM.
Old 10-13-2008, 11:29 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 648 Likes on 502 Posts

by rod end of the bumpershock im assuming you mean the part that slides into the bumper and the bolt passes through?
Attached Images  
Old 10-13-2008, 11:41 AM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 298 Likes on 231 Posts

The euro front bumper is attached by different mounts made of heavy guage sheet metal fabricated to mount on the frame and accept the front bumper bolts. I presume that these are designed to provide some protection to the frame by calapsing first and protecting what is behind them.

For those who don't know, the euro bumper sits much further back, in a similar position to the US modded ones above.

I don't know if these mounts would fit a US spec bumper, but if they do they might offer a solution here without any mods required to the shocks and you would still be using replaceable oem parts for the same effect. The protection would be less, but at least there is some protection.
Old 10-15-2008, 02:44 AM
drift a 944
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kevsporsche944
Thanks for your reply. I had thought of doing this for some time. The first car I saw this done to was your car. I love it. Im was going to have someone fill in the holes when I have the car repainted.
How far did you push yours in? will the bumper move back out/ forward? Wondered if the shocks will move in and out after you drain it.
thanks! I filled in the holes in my bumpers (back also) with JB Weld and then used body filler to smooth over it just as murrayg did with his. Very simple.

Mine is actually offset a little because the drivers side is not pushed in all the way like the passenger side is. Barely noticable. And as far as I know, they will not move back out/forward unless you pulled really hard on them or something.

hope all goes well if you decide to take on the project!

Quick Reply: how do you shorten the bumper