Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rear speaker help needed (968 coupe)

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2008 | 08:30 PM
todzilla
Racer

Default rear speaker help needed (968 coupe)

I searched and couldn't exactly get what I was after, and I am posting this is 2 forums here to get a better perspective.....so bear with me and thanx for your patience ;^)

I'm the PROUD new owner of a '92 guards 968 tip with 90000 kms and I am in the process of updating a few things - first off is the stereo.

The head unit has just been replaced with a Sony unit and as far as I can tell, the lower door speakers are hooked up, but the rear speakers are very, very quiet/distant? - almost like the full power isn't getting thru....the tweeters in the upper doors are not hooked up, as far as I can tell.

What I want to do is - as retarded as it sounds - put 2, 6 X 9 speakers (in boxes made for them) in behind the front seats in the area jokingly referred to as a footweel for the rear seat passengers (which I'd never subject anyone to!) They'd be pretty much obscured by the front seats lean so security isn't an issue - I just need better than the wimpy door speakers to at least 'volumize' the stereo a tad! I'll tackle better door speakers down the road.

If it helps, the console fader switch (by the shifter) seems inoperative so I assume the factory wiring has been tampered and altered.

What I'm wondering (after all this!) - is how do I access and tap into (splice) the rear speaker wires? There is that plastic rocker panel molding (when you open the doors) that I assume hides the wires, but I see no clips holding them in and I don't want to break the piece tugging it off. Are both sides wires running down the same side, or do the wires run correspondingly to the each sides speaker? I just need to tap into the wire, splice about 2 feet per side, and plop a coupla speakers in the back.

Any help is GREATLY appreciated!!

Cheers
Old 10-12-2008 | 08:50 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

maybe you could remove the lower half of the rear seat and build a box on each side of the tunnel for the speakers, that would give you room for tall passengers etc. some people have done similar, and they reuse the fold-down seatback and install amps on it and just fold it down so noone sees it when parked.
Old 10-12-2008 | 09:06 PM
billthe3
Rennlist Member

If you pull up the carpet the wires for the rear speakers should be acessable before they go underneath the rear interior panels. FYI, I was able to stick 6" speakers + tweeters in the stock location on my car.

Here's pics of my speakers. There is also a pic on there that shows where the factory wires are in relation to the door jamb.
http://www.billthe3.net/951stereo/page4.html
Old 10-13-2008 | 02:50 AM
todzilla
Racer

Looks like a decent set up you have there. So I can access the existing wires by taking out the rear seats bottom cushion and lifting out the carpet? That would be a lot easier, though I have no idea how much it takes to get that out either.......I'm always a little freaked that if I take something apart, it won't go back together right! I assume it's a few screws so I'll tackle it tomorrow.

Thanx guys!
Old 10-13-2008 | 03:40 AM
billthe3
Rennlist Member

You don't even have to take out the rear seat cushion. If you want to reuse the factory connections on the end I think you might be able to disconnect the wires from the rear of the speaker by popping out the plastic vent piece in the body in the door frame, and then you should be able to pull the wire through by getting it underneath the carpet right at the edge of the door. If you want to just hack into the wiring, just pop the plastic door sill pieces off and once you move the carpet back the wires should be right there.
Old 10-14-2008 | 04:42 AM
todzilla
Racer

UPDATE!

Well, I did it - and it was easy as pie!

I removed the plastic frame that surrounds the rear quarter window, unscrewed 2 capped screws and pulled away the interior trim that holds the rear armrest/speaker panel on, and voila! - access to two very destroyed and crapped out Blaupunkt speakers! The woofer section was totally eaten away and only the tweeters were making any sound! They were shot!

Sooo, I pulled them out, spliced some new wire into the existing factory wire, put all the hardware back together and hooked the wires up (hidden very nicely by the paneling and carpet) to my boxed 6 X 9s and tucked them perfectly in and behind both seats with the sound facing towards the front of the cabin (kind of under the seats) They pretty much robbed the rear footwells of any space to put your feet, but honestly, who dares sit in there! And if someone were bold enough to squeeze in, all I gotta do is pluck out the 2 wires and out the boxes go! Easy peezy!

I can take a few pics if anyone wants to go this route. Oh and btw - the sound is roughly 3 times as good!!

Cheers!

Quick Reply: rear speaker help needed (968 coupe)