Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

racing seats

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2002, 06:59 PM
Tom
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Recaro is what is left of the Reutter Body works which made bodies for Porsche until Porsche bought the Reutter factory(which was accross the street from the Porsche factory in Stuttgart.

I have a pair of Corbeau Targa RS seats waiting for nicer weather to install in my 944S. I thought they looked closest to an original look I could find for a reasonable budget. I would suggest seeking a local dealer to work with as their mark-up will likely not exceed the shipping costs (and you will avoid the hassle of getting some fairly big items delivered) and by buying locally, I got some help in getting the sliders bolted to the seats. I'm sure I would have figured it out eventually but it was nice having someone who had done the job before to guide the way. Don't forget to get the bracket and sliders too as the Corbeau's are different from stock. Get some spare seat mount bolts incase one gets stripped or cross threaded. I will be switching to hex heads when I install the new seats (instead of the [expletive deleted] factory allen heads.)

You will like the Redline rollbar. Again after you've done it once removal/reinstallation is pretty easy. I had to enlist help the first time, but I have since removed and reinstalled it by myself in very little time. It is big and heavy enough for me that I worry about it hitting the hatch (and breaking it $$$$$). One trick I hit on is to get some scotch tape and when you know how many washers you need as spacers, tape the group together so you're feeding in one bigger item rather than several thin items that like to constantly slip out of the way.

Good luck on your seat hunt/installation.
Old 12-20-2002, 07:46 PM
Skip
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
[quote]Originally posted by Tom:
<strong>Get some spare seat mount bolts incase one gets stripped or cross threaded. I will be switching to hex heads when I install the new seats (instead of the [expletive deleted] factory allen heads.)</strong><hr></blockquote>

Good advice - I use all-new hardware for a seat install. You may have a very hard time using hex headed bolts though - the clearance between the socket sheath and the rail is too tight on some of the mountings. Good 8.8 SS Allen bolts and a good Allen wrench should easily yield good results.

Skip
Old 12-27-2002, 01:35 PM
Dan Gallagher
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[quote]Originally posted by Tom R.:
<strong>Take a drive to automat in hicksille (69 hazel street). metro had a tech session/tour there this summer. they have the whole recaro line etc.
<a href="http://www.autointeriors.net" target="_blank">www.autointeriors.net</a></strong><hr></blockquote>

tom- thanks for the info on that store, i stopped by there today and found a recaro seat i like alot.

the recaro seat cost way more than i was expecting to pay so im thinking about getting just the driver side for now. there isnt any reason to not do that right? besides the mismatch looking funny.
Old 12-27-2002, 03:02 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 116 Likes on 84 Posts
If I dont sell the 944 Im thinking of having automat install an inflatable lumbar suppart in my seat

Quick Reply: racing seats