Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Experience with ASE tests?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2003, 09:23 PM
Dlefko
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Experience with ASE tests?

I just got the results for my first ASE test. I did not pass, I'm pretty bummed about it. I took test A5 Brakes because everyone has told me that it is the best one to start out with. I knew nothing about brakes, so I got an ASE brakes study book and studied it front to back, and was pretty confident that I would do good. The test was horrible. I felt the answers were really vague, but maybe i was just second guessing myself too much. Oh well, I'm only 19 and have never had experience in a shop, I've only been trying to get in the game for about 3 months now. Maybe next time i will take something i know about, like an engine test.

Well... thanx for letting me get that out of me.
Old 06-07-2003, 10:29 PM
jabbadeznuts
Race Car

If this is your first shot I wouldn't worry too much. Now, if you take it another four times and still don't pass, then you have something to worry about. I wish I could get ASE certified.
Old 06-07-2003, 10:44 PM
TurboMike
Intermediate

I am a ASE Master Auto, HD/light truck, L1 Advanced Engine Performance, and GM certified. I can tell you it all didn't come at one. Study, get some hands on experence, and when you taking the test pretend your standing there looking at the car with a couple buddies. Your first answer is usually the right answer.
Old 06-07-2003, 10:44 PM
thomschoon
Instructor

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by Dlefko:
<strong> I'm only 19 and have never had experience in a shop</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Gee silly me I thought certification was to demonstrate competency in areas that you had experience and knowledge So you want to be certified in brakes but have no experience, how do you think your customers will feel ?

Just wondering!!
Old 06-07-2003, 11:33 PM
bader$
Burning Brakes

I too am an ASE master with L1 and It does take both knowledge and experience to pass these tests.
there is one tech in the shop where I work that has been a master for years but since the increase in electronics in every system, he just recently lost his master certified status because of the auto trans test. No matter what test you take you need to have some experience to do well. In fact unless you have the necessary schooling and or experience they won't even certify you.
Old 06-07-2003, 11:41 PM
89magic98
In the Sink
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 75 Posts
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by Dlefko:
<strong>I just got the results for my first ASE test. I did not pass, I'm pretty bummed about it. I took test A5 Brakes because everyone has told me that it is the best one to start out with. I knew nothing about brakes, so I got an ASE brakes study book and studied it front to back, and was pretty confident that I would do good. The test was horrible. I felt the answers were really vague, but maybe i was just second guessing myself too much. Oh well, I'm only 19 and have never had experience in a shop, I've only been trying to get in the game for about 3 months now. Maybe next time i will take something i know about, like an engine test.

Well... thanx for letting me get that out of me.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">David,

Well, there are two parts to passing an exam, what you know, and the process of taking the exam.

I know lots of people that can learn and retain a lot of information, but have nerves or other problems with getting the information out during an exam.

If I were you, I would spend as much time as possible practicing taking this kind of test under conditions similar to the actual test. This may allow you to "unlock" the information that you learned and do well on the test.

Keep your head up! Unless you win the lottery, you've got 40+ years of career ahead of you!

-Kevin
Old 06-07-2003, 11:47 PM
Dlefko
Burning Brakes

thomschoon, what do you mean by experience? and what customers are you talking about?
I guess you could say i did try to give myself experience by going to a junkyard on Sundays and tearing down the breaks off old junkers and putting them back together.

look, I could go to a shop right now and get my foot in the door being hired as a porter or a lube boy, and get paid 6 bucks an hour. Then when i get the position of training tech i always wanted, I'm still just the lube boy, but get paid 7 bucks an hour.
Or with my patches, I could be wanted in the shop and bargain my wage at 15 an hour at the technicians position.

Anyway, ASE requires experience and passing a test in order to receive the patch. In my case auto tech school.

I have just never been much of a test taker, but Mike, I like your idea.

Quick Reply: Experience with ASE tests?