Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Setting rear camber with lowered car

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 06:00 PM
krahmlow
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Setting rear camber with lowered car

I lowered this car and put new torsion bars in the back end. The alignment shop says they can't properly adjust the camber on the rear wheels to bring it back to spec. I think it's maxed out at -2 degrees. Did I screw something up, or does this just happen when lowering? Is there any way to get more positive camber on it?
Old 09-30-2008, 06:28 PM
knfeparty
Race Car

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

First of all,

What is wrong with you?

When I put in new tbars and lowered it, I left mine at max camber (and it was over -2 degrees).

I still wore out the outsides of my tires before the insides (with a bit of autocross help).

If they're both even, leave it at max camber! More positive camber, sheesh.

Look at the massive amount of space between the top of the rear tire and the fender well in this picture.
Attached Images  
Old 09-30-2008, 06:47 PM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

The toe and camber are hard to setup in the rear. When you adjust the ride height, you are also adjusting the toe and camber. It takes a real pro to setup a 944 after making major modifiications. You might need to find another shop that knows all about how to align a 944. I went through three shops after doing rear coilovers with mixed results. I then did my homework and found a shop that fixed me right up. I am running 1.5 degrees in the rear but I track the car. If the car is mostly for street, the factory setup is the way to go.
Old 10-01-2008, 05:36 PM
krahmlow
Instructor

Brian, okay, I'll have to look around for someone who wants to take the time with it. The first guy I brought it to clearly didn't want to be bothered. Didn't mind charging top dollar, though.

As for the other stuff, maybe I wasn't really clear on this. I'm actually trying to get more positive camber on the back wheels. I want it set up for the street. Right now, it's at -2, and he said he couldn't get it any closer to factory specs.
Old 10-01-2008, 05:45 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

When you lower the back it will put in more negative camber. I run -2.5 on my 944 and during my last aligment I had some issues getting the toe I wanted with camber I wanted. I was maxing out the toe adjuster and was close on camber. I am running very very low though.

You maybe stick at -1 camber in the rear and this fine for the street. If you can't get there you will need to keep messing with it until you do. It just takes time and effort. I do all my own aligments since that way I know exactly what my settings are. Doing rear toe is not that bad using springs, but can take time since I need to set-up a perfect square for the strings.
Old 10-01-2008, 06:38 PM
knfeparty
Race Car

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

krahmlow, I hear you that you want more positive camber.

I'm just sayin' that I've been running in the -2.2-2.7 range on all four corners for awhile now and it isn't as bad on the tires as you would think, as long as you're not running very much toe.

But yeah you'll need a really good alignment shop. Porsche dealerships could do it, too.

Quick Reply: Setting rear camber with lowered car