Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DME relay questions....

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2003, 08:00 PM
kevin Dubois
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post DME relay questions....

ok, i have been reading pages and pages of past topics and i have come to the conclusion that my electrical problem lies in the fact that my DME relay is not turning on. i have shorted out the terminals from 30 to 87b just to see if there was any power at all, and yes the fuel pump did turn on (and i found that the fuel rail gauge was not screwed in all the way...). so from the past posts i have decided that my problem lies in the factory alarm. well, i have no alarm. the PO removed it, and put in an aftermarket alarm. is there any way to bypass all alarms and run a wire from any ingintion on power to turn on the DME relay?

well, i just about have the replacement engine in my '87 951. well, actually the engine is completely in, but i have a few questions:

1. i got a tial wastegate and i'm sure it will install ok, but the short "U" pipe that goes from the crossover pipe to the wastegate doesn't match up. the crossover pipe doesn't have the flair for the "U" pipe to fit into. is there a different "U" pipe that can fit up to the new crossover pipe? or shall i just take the pipe to the fabricator and fix the "U" pipe to fit onto the crossover pipe.

2. i don't have a boost controller yet, so where is the best source to hook the wastegate up to? i have read some of the posts before and they recommend using the banjo bolt of the pipe to the intercooler. i can do this, but then do i plug the old line?

3. i got a DME from someone, and i'm not sure what is going on, but i have no spark, and the fuel pump isn't running. my guess is the problem does not lie in the DME, but rather the few wire harnesses that i cannot find a mate for. specifically, there is a plug directly off the DME harness with 2 wires, it is located about 4 inches from the DME conenction. does this one connect to anything, and if so, where does it go to? next at the firewall, there is another harness with 8 pins. it is flat (all the wires are in one line), black, and there are only 7 wires in the connection. i looked at the harness from my original engine, and the plug had only 6 wires in it. if anyone has any idea what i'm talking about please help me!!! i need to know if it connects to anything, and if so where.

4. last in the passenger footwell, there is one other harness that i cannot find a conenction for. it is right above where the passenger door plugs in. it is a 14 pin two row connection with only 6 wires. does this connection have something to plug into it? and if so where does it come from.

i have the workshop manuals but they are not helping because i cannot decipher what connection is what (and where on the car).

any help would be great!!!!! i am so close and my brain can no longer function properly because of all the excitment. my baby has been sitting for a year now without an engine, and shes almost ready to make her maiden voyage out of the garage!!!!!
Old 06-21-2003, 11:38 PM
kevin Dubois
Racer

oh, and the first paragraph of that last post was edited in. (it sounds really funny when reading it without knowing that)
Old 06-21-2003, 11:50 PM
Tom Carson
Burning Brakes

have a look at:

<a href="http://forums.rennlist.com/forums/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=15;t=021682#000000" target="_blank">http://forums.rennlist.com/forums/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=15;t=021682#000000</a>

to bypass the alarm
Old 06-22-2003, 12:17 AM
Tom Carson
Burning Brakes

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by kevin Dubois:
<strong>there is a plug directly off the DME harness with 2 wires, it is located about 4 inches from the DME conenction. does this one connect to anything, and if so, where does it go to?</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">if the plug you are talking about has a brown wire and a brown/white (goes to DME pin 10)...on my '89 I just have a connector with a jumper 'shorting' the brown/white to ground (brown)

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by kevin Dubois:
<strong>next at the firewall, there is another harness with 8 pins. it is flat (all the wires are in one line), black, and there are only 7 wires in the connection. i looked at the harness from my original engine, and the plug had only 6 wires in it. if anyone has any idea what i'm talking about please help me!!! i need to know if it connects to anything, and if so where.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">does that 8 pin 'flat' connector have green/white; white/green; red/white; red/green; blue; white/yellow etc

just match up the wire colors

it goes to the gauge cluster...tach, boost etc
Old 06-22-2003, 01:20 AM
kevin Dubois
Racer

thanks tom. i think i might try shorting out the brown brown/white connection.

as far as the alarm goes, yea, i have already connected the pin 1 to 4 but i think the wiring to that is a bit messed up from an aftermarket alarm. i am considering just making some splices under the fuse panel to connect the switch 1 on the DME to any power source activated by the ingintion turned. is this a good idea?

and last, my instrument cluster is plugged in properly, the 8 pin connection i am reffering to is located just inside the firewall where the DME harness comes in. it is actually part of the engine wiring harness. any other ideas?
Old 06-22-2003, 02:57 AM
Tom Carson
Burning Brakes

does that 8 pin 'flat' connector have green/white; white/green; red/white; red/green; blue; white/yellow etc colored wires?

I wouldn't start splicing under the fuse panel just yet...aftermarket alarms can open or ground the ignition coil and/or fuel delivery system

make a list of each of the wires from the aftermarket alarm module (by color) and to what Porsche factory wire each connects (also by color)...report back

Quick Reply: DME relay questions....