Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lost keys!

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 09:14 AM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Received 836 Likes on 525 Posts
Default Lost keys!

I must be an idiot! I came home from dinner last Friday night and as usual, locked the driver's side door with the key. Next morning, I look on the kitchen table - where I always leave my keys - they are not there.

I can't find them anywhere. Fortunately, I have another car to drive. I have been hoping that I would find the keys in my daily routine around the house. Still no luck.

So now I must ask - is it possible to get a new key made by providing the VIN to a dealer? I am hoping it won't come to this - but I would also like to use this car again one day...
Old 09-30-2008, 09:49 AM
Josh B
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am curious to know myself - I asked Sunset about it on Friday and they were supposed to be getting back to me on it.
Old 09-30-2008, 09:59 AM
eniac
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes just bring the VIN and proof of ownership to the dealer and they will order you a new steel key. You will have to buy a new key head seperate. I had to do this once when my gf at the time lost my keys. It took about 3 days to get the new key.
Old 09-30-2008, 10:24 AM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by eniac
Yes just bring the VIN and proof of ownership to the dealer and they will order you a new steel key. You will have to buy a new key head seperate. I had to do this once when my gf at the time lost my keys. It took about 3 days to get the new key.
Good to know. I'm not throwing in the towel just yet. Still hoping I will find the damn thing.

Since you are in the area (in fact I work in FH) where did you go for this? Bill Cook? Do you recall the cost? What about proof of ownership? Is registration and proof of insurance sufficient or is the title what they want to see? Think I can come up with all of the above without too much bother.
Old 09-30-2008, 10:46 AM
alordofchaos
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 135 Posts

cheeck your pants pocket?

Don't laugh, 1/2 the time when I can't find my keys or thumb drive that I carry in my pants pocket, it's because I got distracted right when I get home - and instead of taking them out and putting them where I usually do, I leave them in the pocket and throw the pants in the dirty laundry.

Another spot where I've left my keys where i couldn't find them (until the next morning) - in the door to the house! I had my hands full, was carryin stuff in and out of the house... left the keys in the door, locked the door - keys were sticing out of the doorknob all night long!
Old 09-30-2008, 12:15 PM
Randy V
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 98 Likes on 66 Posts

If nothing else, perhaps your plight will motivate anyone with only 1 key to go out today and have a copy made.

Best of luck.
Old 09-30-2008, 12:42 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Randy V
If nothing else, perhaps your plight will motivate anyone with only 1 key to go out today and have a copy made.

Best of luck.
You said it brother! When I get this sorted out - I'll be making several duplicates. (One of) The stupid thing is - I tried to have a duplicate made about a week ago at the local chain auto parts store. They didn't have a proper blank.

It is the only key I keep on that key ring. So it's not in the house door. It's mystifying. Totally fvc#ing mystifying.
Old 09-30-2008, 12:50 PM
elf89
Pro

Check the hatch lock too. Mine occasionally hide there under the spoiler!
Old 09-30-2008, 01:02 PM
krystar
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Scott at Team Harco
You said it brother! When I get this sorted out - I'll be making several duplicates. (One of) The stupid thing is - I tried to have a duplicate made about a week ago at the local chain auto parts store. They didn't have a proper blank.

It is the only key I keep on that key ring. So it's not in the house door. It's mystifying. Totally fvc#ing mystifying.
ace hardware. that's where i got my dupe made
Old 09-30-2008, 01:13 PM
CurtP
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by elf89
Check the hatch lock too. Mine occasionally hide there under the spoiler!
If I can't find my key, 99% of the time it's still hanging out in the hatch lock.
Old 09-30-2008, 01:15 PM
Spidey944
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Check under the stove if you have a cat!! Don't ask how I know!! LOL.
Old 09-30-2008, 01:29 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

No cats and it is not in the hatch lock. Keep 'em coming.

I figure I'll find them next time I cut the lawn. Oh crap.... what was that?
Old 09-30-2008, 01:30 PM
marky522
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dude i am in the middle of the EXACT same thing... I lost my keys after a night out saturday, cant find them ANYWHERE... It has my only Porsche key, which i now like you need to order one, and also my car key, $1.20 to replace but it has my wifes VW Jetta key.. Probably $150 to replace...

I feel your pain.
Just take something to the dealer to prove you own it, registration will be fine.

Mark
Old 09-30-2008, 03:53 PM
eniac
Drifting

Originally Posted by Scott at Team Harco
Good to know. I'm not throwing in the towel just yet. Still hoping I will find the damn thing.

Since you are in the area (in fact I work in FH) where did you go for this? Bill Cook? Do you recall the cost? What about proof of ownership? Is registration and proof of insurance sufficient or is the title what they want to see? Think I can come up with all of the above without too much bother.
I was living in Grand Rapids at the time and just went to the local dealer there. It was around $55.00 for the new steel key plus extra for the key head. There's the lighted key head which cost $29 at the time and the tiny "wallet" key head which was about $3.00. The cost probably went up since.

To order it I brought in my title and driver's ID to the parts counter. Current vehicle registration would probably be ok as well but I didn't ask.

Just a note, if you buy a steel key blank, many places will not cut you a copy. The steel ruins the cutting machines which may not be designed to cut steel keys. Some VW blanks work with our car and can be found easier in the brass, copper, or whatever it is most keys are made from. For daily user however, use the steel key.
Old 09-30-2008, 06:15 PM
87 944 C
Drifting

Originally Posted by Randy V

Best of luck.
well i'm not going today, but yea i'm deffinitly gonna get a 2nd. i never worried before because my drivers door doesn't lock...don't get any idea's

Quick Reply: Lost keys!