Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lost keys!

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 06:32 PM
eniac
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Randy V
If nothing else, perhaps your plight will motivate anyone with only 1 key to go out today and have a copy made.

Best of luck.
I still have just the one key I ordered after losing my only key once already. I do leave a second key for my Ford Taurus safely stored in my toolbox but I hardly ever drive that car...go figure.
Old 09-30-2008, 07:41 PM
kevincnc
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You must not be married- my wife can usually find my lost keys in about 2 minutes. Last time the dog was sitting on them, that one stumped her too.
Old 09-30-2008, 10:13 PM
87 944 C
Drifting

nightstand, fell outta your pocket into your porsche, never made it into your pocket and is on the driveway somewhere, dog ate it, door lock, you said you lock your door with your key, under the car maybe.

where do you normally leave em?
Old 09-30-2008, 10:20 PM
GloriaRedStang
Racer

Maybe you didn't lock your car like you think, and it's still in ignition or somewhere in the interior.

I have my porsche key on a separate fob too, since it's not a daily driver, so it gets separated from my house/car keys all the time, but never lost. It just gets left in places other than where my main set of keys always get placed.
Old 10-09-2008, 09:48 AM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Received 835 Likes on 524 Posts

Just to update:

I was never able to locate the lost key. The true guarantee that it will be found again is now in place. I have duplicates.

First I called the dealer to see how much they wanted to have a key made by showing them proof that I own the vehicle and providing the VIN. Total was to be about $80.

Called a local locksmith and asked if they could make a key if I brought them a lock cylinder. They said yes and the cost would be about $20. Well as much as I like giving money to the dealer - I decided to go with the locksmith.

He (the locksmith) indicated that the passenger door lock would be the best to work from. Evidently there is a code stamped or marked on that cylinder. The problem with this idea is that that door handle and lock have been replaced on my car. Thus it is the only lock that does not match the rest. He indicated that the driver's door lock would work.

I removed the door handle and dropped it at the locksmith early on Tuesday morning. This was before they opened so I left it in a bag with all of my instructions and contact information. My girlfriend suggested that I should just throw it through their plateglass window. Not sure that would have gotten me any better service.

I called them later in the day to make sure they found the package. They indicated they had. Got a call later that day saying everything was ready. Picked up the door handle and keys yesterday and installed everything back in the car. What should have been a 15 minute job turned into about 1.5 hours. I had to remove the door panel and had to install and remove the handle about half a dozen times to get the linkages attached, aligned and adjusted so everything would work. I'm sure I will forget all of the little details next time, and it will still take 1.5 hours when I have to do this again. Anyway, got everything back together and moved the car to the top of the rotation list. Now I can work on the other car I was driving without having to worry about whether it sits on jackstands for a day.

Anyway, all is good. I have four keys and have them painted a bright color so I can distiguish them from the rest. I should come across that lost key any day now...
Old 10-10-2008, 01:30 AM
Randy V
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 97 Likes on 65 Posts

One of life's lessons.

I bet you never again have only 1 key for anything.

Glad to hear it worked out.
Old 10-10-2008, 09:55 AM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Received 835 Likes on 524 Posts

There is more to the story as it relates to the number of keys. One was/(is?) with the ex-wife. Last time I saw it, it had a crease in it from her bending it and then bending it back. I would rather pay the dealer for a new key than go down that path.

There was another key - and it was all alone except for a little blue zip-tie cut at about 1/2" length. I usually kept it in the hatch lock cylinder or inside the car. On the night of the great mystery I put it in my pocket along with the primary key (which was on a key ring with a miniature Porsche brake caliper and rotor). How both disappeared together and completely is still the great mystery. I can see the one loose key falling out of my pocket at some point if I sat down and didn't notice. It's the other key - the one that I used to lock the door - that is totally unexplainable.

Of course now - I have utter confidence that key will be found since I have four new, fully functional ones to draw from.

Quick Reply: Lost keys!