Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

wtb ss braided lines

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2003 | 03:49 PM
cheetah chrome
Addict
Rennlist Member

i'm looking for whatever isnt going to cause my car to light up like a match heheh. theres really only two things that have me nervous about upgrading my 951: fire and headgasket failure (errr make that 3...dont want to forget about #2 failure), so i dont mind spending extra money to prevent these failures. when "covers" is that meaning theres a hose clamp w/ a psuedoclampnut over it? im looking for hose assemblies the bolt up to existing fittings on the fpr, fuel rail, and damper...the only clamping i wanna do will be attaching the ss up to the hard lines. sorry to keep harping on the subject, i appreciate all the feedback.
Old 01-16-2003 | 05:08 PM
Manning
Addict
Rennlist Member

The hose kits these folks are talking about are a section of AN -6 hose from the hard line to the damper and a section of -5 from the FPR to the hard line. Some have used -6 from the FPR to the hard line which is bad since -6 is a little too big and has to be squished down with a hose clamp to snug it up enough not to leak. In other words it will eventually leak. On the other hand, -5 hose is a little less common, and there are virtually no reusable fittings for it that I can find (at least Russell, Aeroquip, Earl's and Goodridge don't list them). The clamp things you see in the picture are just aluminum covers over a hose clamp to pretty things up.

To do this properly (here we go again) you either have to use the proper size hose with clamps designed for high pressure (fuel injection) or the proper sized fittings with good braid covered hose. Here is a quick description of the parts required if you want to do this with actual hose fittings. If you want a complete list of hoses and fittings and tools send you e-mail address to me via PM.

You will need (from someplace like Truechoice or Summit):

Proper length of -6 hose. I like Aeroquip AQP.

1 each -6 and -5 pipe bushing and nut.

1 each -6 to -5 male-to-male adaptor

1 each -6 to -6 male-to-male adaptor

2 each -6 hose end. 90 degree adaptors should be fine.

Note: If you have a FPR with a barb instead of a threaded connection you can eliminate the -5 nut and bushing, the -6 to -5 adaptor and one of the -6 hose ends. You will need to use -5 hose instead, with (ugh) proper hose clamps.

From BAT, inc. (British American Transfer):

3 each -6 M16 x 1.5 90 degree hose ends. This is for the high pressure side of the system from the hard line to the damper and from the damper to the fuel rail. If you have an FPR with a threaded fitting (instead of a barb) you will need one more of these hose ends.

From Aircraft Spruce:

You will need to order a 37 degree flare tool since AN fittings are 37 degree, not 45 degree like the flare tools at the hardware or auto parts store. These range from about $80.00 on up.

What I have listed above is not cheap. The hose and hose clamp route will work if you use the correct size hose and proper clamps.

Also remember that stainless braid covered hose is very abrasive and will rub through just about anything it touches. I know Earl's and Aeroquip sell alternative versions with Nomex covers instead (much lighter and less abrasive).

One more thing, you need to make sure you pay attention to the manufacturers recommended minimum bend radius for the hose or it will not last very long (it will collapse at the bend). Fortunately -6 has a minimum bend radius fo soemthing like 3 inches.

Quick Reply: wtb ss braided lines