Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Atlanta, GA fall leaf drive?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 07:59 PM
Lorax
The Impaler
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by athens944
Do we have a set time? The Mountains this time of year are great! Should be a beautiful, crisp Fall day! Come on out, gas actually seems reasonable!

Also, this is off topic but how do you pronounces Suches? Is it like Fuchs? (not that I know how to pronounce that)
Such - ess or Such - iss depending on who you ask...

Dont forget, you have to pass through dala-nayga (as the city folk say it)
Old 10-28-2008, 08:04 PM
Relaxed90
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Josh,

Kevin is thinking about it and will probably come, but he'll be in his other car.

I'm flying to the UK tomorrow and won't be back until Monday, so I can't come. I gave Kevin your #.

Mark
Old 10-28-2008, 10:33 PM
ilikemy944
Going with the pack
is quite monotonous.
Rennlist Member

Josh - I will ride up with you... What time are you leaving?

BTW, married life so far is great
Old 10-29-2008, 02:06 AM
simmomi
Pro

Hey guys - I'm still planning on going. Will be taking the 951 to the wrench Wednesday night so that he can adjust the timing belt; Should have it back Thursday night.

As far as route is concerned - I'm up for anything. A different route would be nice. I guess the real question is, are we looking to do some "FUN" driving (ie..Blood Mountain), or do we just want to go out, drive some and enjoy the sights?? Either is fine with me, but for that adrenaline driving, Blood Mountain is hard to beat.

We could do something a little different and drive up to Helen...maybe eat lunch up there.

We'll probably want to get an early start as the leaf watchers will be out in force that day too.
Old 10-29-2008, 02:13 AM
Lorax
The Impaler
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How are you man?

Originally Posted by simmomi
Hey guys - I'm still planning on going. Will be taking the 951 to the wrench Wednesday night so that he can adjust the timing belt; Should have it back Thursday night.

As far as route is concerned - I'm up for anything. A different route would be nice. I guess the real question is, are we looking to do some "FUN" driving (ie..Blood Mountain), or do we just want to go out, drive some and enjoy the sights?? Either is fine with me, but for that adrenaline driving, Blood Mountain is hard to beat.

We could do something a little different and drive up to Helen...maybe eat lunch up there.

We'll probably want to get an early start as the leaf watchers will be out in force that day too.
Old 10-29-2008, 10:29 AM
Josh B
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well - We could meet at the Best Buy at N-Point mall
Hop on 400 and then got off on 9 and take that into Dahlonega
Take 19 out of Dahlonega over to 129
Take a right on 129 and then a left on alt 75
Take a right to get onto 17 and that would take us into the back side of Helen.
Eat an early lunch and then
Folks could take 75 back out of Helen and down to Cleveland
Then back out of Cleveland on 129 south to Gainesville or
take 115 to get back to 400.

The guestion is should we meet at 8 or 9?

Brad - you can just meet me at the house if you want.

Sucks you can't make it Mark - should be a really nice drive with the leaves out and so on.
Old 10-29-2008, 07:41 PM
Pile O Porsche
Instructor

I'm in, but if you're going all the way to Helen, my guess is I won't be able to really go with you. That's a fair ways up there and I absolutely have to be back by 2. I'll bring my friend with his MR2, as well and Kel in his new 944 NA. The MR2 has to be back with me by 2, as well. So depending on route time, we'll be splitting earlier.
Old 10-29-2008, 08:07 PM
ilikemy944
Going with the pack
is quite monotonous.
Rennlist Member

Hey, as long as you guys show up, skipping out early is cool with me

I do suppose I'll be shotgunning in Josh's car so its not really like I can talk bad about leaving early anyway ;P
Old 10-30-2008, 12:41 AM
simmomi
Pro

Hey Ryan - doing OK. Trying to stay above water...you know how it is.

Josh, that sounds like a plan. We can always alter the plans if we decide otherwise. As for the meet time - I don't really care. I'm not an early bird, so I'm always for it being later, but I'll go along with whatever the majority wants to do.
Old 10-30-2008, 09:47 AM
simmomi
Pro

I just discovered that Oktoberfest is still going on in Helen, through this Sunday. With that in mind, we might want to reconsider going to Helen as I'm sure that the traffic will be bad.

Soooo...any more suggestions? Another option would be to go a little further West, towards Ellijay or Jasper. There won't be the twisties like up near Dahlonega/Blood Mountain, but still a nice drive. There are a couple good BBQ restaurants in the Ellijay area.

Highway 53 from Dawsonville to Jasper is a nice ride, as is Hwy. 136 towards Ellijay.
Old 10-30-2008, 12:53 PM
TRWright
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Lorax
Dont forget, you have to pass through dala-nayga (as the city folk say it)
Old 10-30-2008, 02:42 PM
ilikemy944
Going with the pack
is quite monotonous.
Rennlist Member

Dude, your avatar is way the hell up there.

Is that your boat?
Old 10-30-2008, 05:15 PM
Josh B
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by simmomi
I just discovered that Oktoberfest is still going on in Helen, through this Sunday. With that in mind, we might want to reconsider going to Helen as I'm sure that the traffic will be bad.

Soooo...any more suggestions? Another option would be to go a little further West, towards Ellijay or Jasper. There won't be the twisties like up near Dahlonega/Blood Mountain, but still a nice drive. There are a couple good BBQ restaurants in the Ellijay area.

Highway 53 from Dawsonville to Jasper is a nice ride, as is Hwy. 136 towards Ellijay.

Well - Lets plan on the Best Buy at 9:00 on Saturday morning then. We could still take 9 up to 52 and take that over to Ellijay or we could take 136 to 515 and take that into Ellijay.

Kristy - I think you would be fine on that drive because you could drop back out of Ellijay onto 575 pretty quick and be back in Atlanta way before your 2:00.
Old 10-30-2008, 06:37 PM
TRWright
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by ilikemy944
Dude, your avatar is way the hell up there.

Is that your boat?
Yes, my boat and my foot. That pic wasn't quite taken from the top (58 feet). there was still another 10-12 ft to go.
Old 10-31-2008, 10:32 AM
Josh B
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hmm - things aren't looking good for me. This morning on the way into work the oil pressure guage was reading abnormally low at times and in general acting funny. At higher RPMs and under boost it seemed to be worse. I am wondering if I have oil pickup issues - cracked pipe or clogged intake screen.

Quick Reply: Atlanta, GA fall leaf drive?