Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another Interesting Ebay auction......

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2002, 06:22 PM
ian
Nordschleife Master

Received 66 Likes on 38 Posts
Post Another Interesting Ebay auction......

<a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1828014040" target="_blank">http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1828014040</a>

People keep asking how to turbo charge a 944 n/a well here is your awnser....
Old 05-13-2002, 07:58 PM
dualblade
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i saw that today and was really interested. does that package seem like good stuff and is it worth what he wants for it? i'd like to turbo my s2 and thought about buying that kit. eventually i'll do the engine work required to lower the compression so i can make the most out of the boost and if i'm going to need all that stuff anyways i might as well buy it now
Old 05-13-2002, 11:47 PM
DerSchlechtSpecht
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How does one lower the compression, and why is it important to do so when supercharging or turbocharging. I thought the more compression the better???

Christian
Old 05-13-2002, 11:52 PM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 79 Likes on 35 Posts
[quote]Originally posted by DerSchlechtSpecht:
<strong>How does one lower the compression, and why is it important to do so when supercharging or turbocharging. I thought the more compression the better???

Christian</strong><hr></blockquote>

Cause if you run boost with too high compression, it's not natural, or made for that much pressure and you will blow your head gasket, engine, etc. If you have lower compression you can run boost because it won't create un-godly amounts of pressure. Basically, that's it. Search the archives, there is a lot of good info about this.

Pretty much you lower the compression by getting new pistons, among a few other things I'm sure...? (I think)
Old 05-14-2002, 12:24 AM
dualblade
Burning Brakes

it helps to strengthen a bunch of parts in the engine as well as getting lower compression pistons when you rebuild for a turbo. btw, another thing that high compression + turbo will do is give you detonation problems. this is when the compression in the cylinder makes the fuel explode without a spark and out of time with the way the engine should be running. the higher the octane, the more compression gasoline can take before it detonates. the air that a turbo packs in compresses everything in the cylinder more but if you run racing gas with higher octane then you can run higher boost.

eventually i'd like to accomplish "project turbocab" and be able to run on regular 92 octane so i'd probably bring down the compression from 10.9:1 to 8:1 and maybe run around 1 bar. this is all kinda theoretical and no finite plans cause i have no idea how much this will all cost.

side question: i'm curious about being able to run a higher redline. i'm guessing lower compression pistons have less in cylinder travel so is it safer to run a higher redline? if not then what would let me keep the car a daily drive but safely have the redline at maybe 7500 instead of 6500 (or is this not practical/possible)?
Old 05-14-2002, 12:27 AM
Luke
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
really thick head gasket
Old 05-14-2002, 03:08 AM
brh986
Burning Brakes

[quote]Originally posted by dualblade:
<strong>
side question: i'm curious about being able to run a higher redline. i'm guessing lower compression pistons have less in cylinder travel so is it safer to run a higher redline? if not then what would let me keep the car a daily drive but safely have the redline at maybe 7500 instead of 6500 (or is this not practical/possible)?</strong><hr></blockquote>

You can have an engine balancing done but that is $$$$$$.

Just hazarding a guess but perhaps less mass in the driveline might help (i.e. lighter flywheel, etc.)
Old 05-14-2002, 09:16 AM
dualblade
Burning Brakes

[quote]Originally posted by brh986:
<strong>

You can have an engine balancing done but that is $$$$$$.

Just hazarding a guess but perhaps less mass in the driveline might help (i.e. lighter flywheel, etc.)</strong><hr></blockquote>

uh oh, 6 $ means i'm in trouble
if i got the lighter flywheel, how would i know if it's safe to run a higher redline?

Quick Reply: Another Interesting Ebay auction......