Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

For once, my PO did good..

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2008, 12:04 PM
vro944om
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default For once, my PO did good..

whenever he broke the timing belt the engine was trash. so he had it removed to put a '91 s2 engine in it. And being as curious as i am i went and checked the HP of each. '85.5- 143hp.....'91 s2-211hp

thats awesome , but seeing as this is not the stock engine, would i be unable to enter some races in auto-x? because technically i dont have any performance parts on it..
Old 09-20-2008, 12:12 PM
bjzorn
Canadian Yankee
Rennlist Member

No you can enet autox you just won't be allowed to run in the stock class. Most likely you would be in Prepared, or modified
Old 09-20-2008, 12:17 PM
vro944om
Racer

what cars do you usually find in prepared or modified? because i dont want to be totally screwed out of my class.
Old 09-20-2008, 12:23 PM
bjzorn
Canadian Yankee
Rennlist Member

From the PCA website.

Sample Classing System
Stock - Cars must have been series produced with normal road touring equipment capable of being licensed for normal road use in the United States, and normally sold and delivered through manufacturer's retail sales outlets in the United States.

Allowable Modifications

Accessories, guages, indicators, lights and other appearance modifications which have no effect on performance and/or handling and do not materially reduce the weight of the car are permitted.
Alternate steering wheels are allowed provided the outside diameter is not changed by more than one inch from the standard size.
Any tire which is O.E.M. on a car eligible for Stock Category may be used. Non allowable tires are: Hoosier (all), M&H (all), McCreary, and Mickey Thompson Indy Profile and Indy Profile S/S.
Any type of wheel may be used provided: It is the same width and diameter as stock and it does not have an offset more than +/- .25 inch from the standard wheel for the car. Wheel spacers are not allowed
Any shock absorber may be substituted provided the number, type, system of attachment points are not altered. Suspension geometry and range travel may not be altered.
Substitution, addition or removal of any front anti-roll bars is permitted
The make of spark plugs, points ignition, coil, and high tension wires is free.
Air filters may be removed, however, no other components of the air induction system may be removed, replaced, or modified.

Street Prepared

Equipment and/or modifications may be exchanged between different years and models of a vehicle if the item is standard on the year/model from which it was taken. The updated/backdated part of the part to which it is to be attached may not be altered, modified, machined or otherwise changed to facilitate the updating/backdating allowance. The updating/ backdating of engines, transmissions or transaxles must be done as a unit, component parts of these units may not be interchanged.
Fenders and bumpers may be modified for tire clearance
Any fully padded and upholstered front seat may be used
Any steering wheel may be used
Aerodynamic devices are permitted, however, wings are not allowed.
Wheels of any diameter, width, or offset may be used.
Shock absorber bump stops may be altered or removed.
Any anti-sway bar is permitted.
Suspension bushings may be replaced with bushings of any material (except metal) as long as they fit in the original location.
Relocation of battery or batteries is permitted.
Carbs., fuel injection, intercoolers and intake manifolds are unrestricted. Turbos may not be changed or modified.
Limited Slip differentials are permitted.

Prepared

Removal of glass and/or headlight, front parking or front signal light assemblies, lenses and bulbs is not required. Operating tail/stop lights are required.
Mirrors are not required
Grills may be removed
Any fuel tank may be used
Passenger seats are not required
Driver and Passenger door glass may be removed
Floor covering and all interior trim may be removed
Component parts of the body may be lightened or replaced by ones of alternative materials.
Roll bars and roll cages may be added.

Modified

Interiors may be gutted
Suspension systems and wheels are free
Windscreen, side mirrors and tail/stop lights are not required.

Actually looks like you could run in the street prepared class
Old 09-20-2008, 12:26 PM
vro944om
Racer

crap i would have to be in modified because i have a sub box instead of rear seats, i guess i have more work to put into it before anything.

the PO put them in, so i dont have seats, or any mounts... plus the whole area is covered with carpett
Old 09-20-2008, 01:22 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

modified doesnt mean stereo etc. it means engine mods or power mods like trans etc.... improved classes are for cars w/ suspension and brakes etc....
Old 09-20-2008, 02:24 PM
vro944om
Racer

well taking the seats out would be a weight mod wouldnt it? or is it so slight it wouldnt matter?
Old 09-20-2008, 02:43 PM
bjzorn
Canadian Yankee
Rennlist Member

like I said you would be in Prepared, maybe street prepared. Most of the PCA Auto's that I did where pretty cool about it.is the whole rear seat removed or just the top half?
Old 09-20-2008, 02:46 PM
vro944om
Racer

the whole rear seat, but if you didnt know what a 944 was, it looks stock, it doesnt look like i intentionally stripped something.
Old 09-20-2008, 02:55 PM
bjzorn
Canadian Yankee
Rennlist Member

oh so a RS carpet kit. I did the same thing to my 944S2. It looks stock and people always ask me "why didn't Porsche put a back seat in the car?" I have Linen Carpet back there and it looks factory. you should be able to run street prepared.

Btw where is autox at? I am in the DFW and if tis close would love to come check it out
Old 09-20-2008, 02:59 PM
vro944om
Racer

awesome, i might have to push the limits on that class..
Old 09-20-2008, 03:39 PM
kandyinmyvan
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How did you not realize that you had an S2 engine? Pretty cool to find though
Old 09-21-2008, 02:40 AM
944CS
Drifting

just run in stock class until someone bitches
Old 09-21-2008, 10:00 AM
Scootin159
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In SCCA autocross you would be in either FP, XP or EM - none of which you will be competitive in with less than 300hp, more than 2100lbs or less than 9" wide slicks.]

That said... still go - you'll have fun, and at the local level in those classes it's likely you'll only be competing against other people who got 'screwed' by the system too...

Quick Reply: For once, my PO did good..