Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil cooler housing alignment

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2003, 09:29 AM
Eli Gunn
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post oil cooler housing alignment

So I've been trying to get the alignment tool to work on my oil cooler housing, and no matter how hard I try I can't get it to line up without some binding.

In fact it binded up at first just trying to screw it through the hole with the housing removed.

I got the tool to go most of the way in without binding but right at the end it gets a little harder to turn and it won't go flush with the housing, so it won't go all the way in to the point where the pressure relief valve goes. And then it screws back out without too much trouble.

So I installed the prv and it screwed in easily until right at the end it got a little harder to turn and then quickly got a little easier until it sat flush against the housing.

I can screw them both in and out with my fingers but at one point almost at the end it gets noticeably more difficult to turn, and I'm sick of taking it out and doing it over and over again.

So I guess my question is, what does it mean to bind? Do the tool and valve have to screw in and out absolutely smooth and easy with no resistance whatsoever?

I would like to hear everyone elses experience with the tool.
Old 05-26-2003, 09:38 AM
pete944
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Do a search on my user #. I had the same problem recently.
Old 05-26-2003, 10:59 AM
Eli Gunn
Track Day

Thanks for the suggestion man, but I already looked at that thread and you have the early style valve. I need to know how critical it is for the later style valve to screw in and out perfectly. I can screw both the tool and the valve all the way in and out with my fingers but they both hit slight resistance at one point close to the end of travel. It was very hard to get the tool to work properly. It's like it tells you when there is the slightest bit of misalignment, but it won't really help you get it aligned.

Quick Reply: oil cooler housing alignment