Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LSD! and cv/axle questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2002, 11:28 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Question LSD! and cv/axle questions

OK, two things I found out while underneath my car this weekend:

1. With the rear up on jackstands, I can spin one rear wheel and the other spins in the same direction. So, my care has LSD (not the drug), right?

2. When I compare the axle-shafts on my CV assemblies to the complete driveshaft assemblies I purchased, my original ones are much longer than the ones supplied. (like a 6 inch difference). When was there a change made? This is an 85.5 model. I completed the repair by removing and installin the new CV's on my old shafts (which were fine), but why the different lengths? I thought they were all the same...

Tifosiman
Old 05-13-2002, 11:37 AM
Type_LT
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Lightbulb

Tifosman, I was fooled as well when I compared my new axle assemblies to the old. All I had to do was pull on the cv's attached to the new axle, there is quite a bit of play along the axis of rotation. After pulling a bit I was able to convince myself the assemblies were the same.
Be careful to keep the face of the cv's parallel to the lenght of the axle, otherwise you might pop some bearings out. What is the part number of the axle assemblies?
Old 05-13-2002, 11:42 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
I thought the same thing, but separating the axles from the assemblies, they were clearly different lengths.

I don't have the part numbers anymore, as I returned them for the core charge already (new shafts plus my old joints). Do you think I just got the wrong combination somehow?

Everything works great after I put it all back to gether, as the joints themselves were exactly the same...

Tifosiman
Old 05-13-2002, 11:50 AM
Type_LT
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Yeah just sounds like the wrong axle then.

Quick Reply: LSD! and cv/axle questions