Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FIXED ---- Why does the Rear Wiper over-rotate?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2002, 06:08 PM
sm
Drifting

Received 72 Likes on 60 Posts
Post FIXED ---- Why does the Rear Wiper over-rotate?

It doesn't do the normal sweep (i.e. the 1 to 3 o'clock sweeping motion and back) anymore, but everytime it returns to the vertical position, it ends up going past the 12 o'clock position and with each stroke, goes more and more counter-clockwise. What's up with that?

My hatch-release motor does the same - doesn't just spin in the "range", but just spins as the long as the hatch switch is pressed.
Old 11-27-2002, 06:41 PM
Outlaw952
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It sounds to me like the wiper arm may be striping out on the drive post. Remove the nut holding the wiper on and look at the splines on the drive post. If it has slivers of metal in the splines, then this is your problem. Clean out the metal slivers, and reattach the wiper arm. Torque down on the nut tight enough so that the aluminum will regroove itself into the splines.

If this doesn't do the trick, then you may have a gear or arm inside the drive unit that is wearing out.
Old 11-27-2002, 06:55 PM
bs
Pro

i think the hatch motor is supposed to do that. if i tap my button real fast, it does one revolution, but if i hold it down, it will keep going until i let up.
Old 11-28-2002, 05:13 AM
Hans
Burning Brakes

[quote] SM: My hatch-release motor does ... but just spins as the long as the hatch switch is pressed <hr></blockquote>
Tapping on the switch and immediate start-stop, no full cycle?
Check the permanent power supply to the motor, if ok, then the internal take-over contact in the worm gear needs cleaning
Wiring diagram:
<a href="http://www.pelicanparts.com/944/electrical/944_84_5_2.jpg" target="_blank">http://www.pelicanparts.com/944/electrical/944_84_5_2.jpg</a>

Wiper: check arm as per outlaw's suggestion.
If OK, then some (xxxx) had opened the motor / gear assembly and did the re-assembling wrong, the internal contact that feeds the motor in the stroke back to the rest position lost its alignment relative to the contact track in the gear.
Nice job for long winter evenings: there are a lot coming up and you may need a few to get this done right.
TakeCare
Old 11-28-2002, 10:38 AM
sm
Drifting

Sorry, I didn't clarify...

For the hatch motor, it won't automatically do one full spin-cycle when I hit the swtich. I believe it's supposed to spin around once and stop if I tap the switch. Even if I hold the switch for a while, upone release it should stop at a position that will keep the hatch closed - mine doesn't. It'll stop wherever in rotation and sometimes leaves my hatch unlocked.

As for the wiper, I'll give Outlaws suggestions a try.

Thanks guys!
Old 11-28-2002, 11:06 AM
Hans
Burning Brakes

[quote] For the hatch motor, it won't automatically do one full spin-cycle when I hit the swtich. <hr></blockquote>There is an (interrupted) power supply from the switch to get it starting to move.
Power for the rest of the cycle comes from an continupus supply, fed to a contact in the motor.
If this supply is dead or the contact dirty / greasy / broken, the motor will only move when you push the switch.
[quote]I believe it's supposed to spin around once and stop if I tap the switch. Even if I hold the switch for a while, upone release it should stop at a position that will keep the hatch closed <hr></blockquote>Correct
[quote] mine doesn't. It'll stop wherever in rotation and sometimes leaves my hatch unlocked.
<hr></blockquote>See: no continuous power or cracked contact set inside the motor.

If you open the drive motor, make sure you mark the position of the arm relative to the cover and the position of the cover relative to the body.
When you deside to take out the gear wheel, again mark it relative to the arm on the shaft.
It will save fo much "try & error time" to get it back in the correct position.
TakeCare
Old 05-13-2003, 10:57 AM
sm
Drifting

I simply tightened the bolt that holds the wiper arm down with a 10mm socket.
Old 05-13-2003, 11:07 AM
Jeff928S4
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
What sm said.....

The loose bolt will cause the wiper to move a wee bit on every swipe - just tighten it.

944S Boyeee
Old 05-13-2003, 12:59 PM
sm
Drifting

Now I just need to figure out the hatch motor problem. It stinks having to shut off the motor to open the hatch...

Quick Reply: FIXED ---- Why does the Rear Wiper over-rotate?