Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Distributor rotor screw

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2008, 10:12 AM
Rip It
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Use a dremel if you don't want to wack it.
Old 09-18-2008, 12:04 PM
pjburges
Burning Brakes

You should be able to unbolt the rotor assembly from the snout of the cam, one bolt holds it on, its keyed so it only goes one way. Just take the whole thing off the camshaft and work from there. Cmon guys, no hammers on a Porsche. Thats a yayhoo's way to solve a problem.
Old 09-18-2008, 12:20 PM
Kburke
Racer

Originally Posted by pjburges
You should be able to unbolt the rotor assembly from the snout of the cam, one bolt holds it on, its keyed so it only goes one way. Just take the whole thing off the camshaft and work from there. Cmon guys, no hammers on a Porsche. Thats a yayhoo's way to solve a problem.
Pictures please
Old 09-18-2008, 12:28 PM
pjburges
Burning Brakes

Id help you out man, but Ive got labs in 30 minutes and I won't be out till 5. There should be a hex bolt I think somewhere on the front of the cam, bolting into it from the side. If you pull that bolt loose, you should be able to get the whole rotor assembly thing to slide off the cam, so you can put it in a vice/lathe/drill press/mill or sometihng and very carefully get that stripped screw out. It happened to me because of a poor mechanic/previous owner stripped it in there. A huge bummer!!!

When I get back if nobody has pointed out the bolt ill go out and take a picture of it on my car.
Old 09-18-2008, 02:05 PM
Kburke
Racer

Originally Posted by pjburges
Id help you out man, but Ive got labs in 30 minutes and I won't be out till 5. There should be a hex bolt I think somewhere on the front of the cam, bolting into it from the side. If you pull that bolt loose, you should be able to get the whole rotor assembly thing to slide off the cam, so you can put it in a vice/lathe/drill press/mill or sometihng and very carefully get that stripped screw out. It happened to me because of a poor mechanic/previous owner stripped it in there. A huge bummer!!!

When I get back if nobody has pointed out the bolt ill go out and take a picture of it on my car.
thank you.
Old 09-18-2008, 02:35 PM
kevincnc
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nothing like posting a valid, easy solution and being ignored. I give up.
Old 09-19-2008, 01:28 AM
Lizard944
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by kevincnc
Kevin, I feel your pain I just did this technique on some of those security hex screws on a Nissan MAF sensor, mainly because they were pretty rusty and I didn't have the special security hex bit available. Worked awesome. I used a Dremel cut-off disk to make the screwdriver slots instead of a hacksaw.
Old 09-19-2008, 04:53 PM
Kburke
Racer

Originally Posted by kevincnc
can you post pics
Old 09-19-2008, 06:32 PM
intrepidagent
Former Vendor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

This happened to me a few years ago. I took a can of dust off (the compressed air you use to blow dust off your computer keyboard for instance), inverted the can and and froze the rotor with the propellant for about 30 seconds. A few light taps with a hammer ( and yes it's okay to use a hammer on a Porshe), it shattered and I was able to use vise grips to get the hex screw out.

(You'll have to check with the membership here however to see if vise grips can be used on a Porsche).
Old 09-19-2008, 06:48 PM
Kburke
Racer

Originally Posted by intrepidagent
This happened to me a few years ago. I took a can of dust off (the compressed air you use to blow dust off your computer keyboard for instance), inverted the can and and froze the rotor with the propellant for about 30 seconds. A few light taps with a hammer ( and yes it's okay to use a hammer on a Porshe), it shattered and I was able to use vise grips to get the hex screw out.

(You'll have to check with the membership here however to see if vise grips can be used on a Porsche).
really? I might try that.

Quick Reply: Distributor rotor screw