Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nothing Works!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 11:09 PM
ritzblitz
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

First check to make sure you're getting spark as stated above. Pull a spark plug and ground it against the cam box and have someone turn the key and crank the engine. Do not touch any metal on the plug when cranking!!! There will be an obvious spark if your ignition system is working properly.

Second option... spray some starting fluid anywhere in the intake while someone is turning the key cranking the engine. If it sputters then you have a fuel problem.

Basically do whichever you feel more comfortable with.

Good luck!
Old 09-10-2008, 11:53 PM
vro944om
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i already jumped the relay with the fuel rail plug unplugged, and the other fuel pump really was bad. DME was only 12$. hmmm the engine cranks just doesnt start, i guess i check the plugs .
Old 09-10-2008, 11:56 PM
ritzblitz
Drifting

Spray starting fluid in the intake tract.
Old 09-11-2008, 12:07 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 662 Likes on 515 Posts

injectors might be clogged.
Old 09-11-2008, 12:10 AM
vro944om
Racer

how do i clean the injectors?... after all, it was sitting for 2 years
Old 09-11-2008, 12:23 AM
ritzblitz
Drifting

Dont clean the injectors before making sure you have spark.

Like I said, pull a spark plug and ground it, or spray starting fluid somewhere into the intake.

If the car sounds like its starting, then you can start worrying about your fuel delivery.
Old 09-11-2008, 12:59 AM
CurtP
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by vro944om
how do i clean the injectors?... after all, it was sitting for 2 years
Has it started at all since its come out of storage? I had one that had been sitting for a few years that wouldn't start. I had to pull the pickup/fuel sender assembly and clean out all the gummed up fuel (taking the whole thing apart), replace the fuel pump and filter and blow the lines out with compressed air before it fired up.
Old 09-11-2008, 02:03 AM
Yummybud924
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if the car has been sitting for so long you should drain the fuel, replace the fuel filter and put in some fresh fuel.

not saying that is the problem but if you had fuel sitting there for 2 years you should do that anyways.
Old 09-11-2008, 08:31 AM
knfeparty
Race Car

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

^ Yeah I was gonna say that no one has stated the obvious here- is there good gas in it?! After 2 years the answer is going to be no. The fuel filter isn't very hard to replace and although I haven't seen it happen to anyone I know, it could be clogged.

Also make sure that nothing made a nest in your air filter! There could be a squirrel clogged in your snorkel and it isn't getting enough air to crank.

If the speed and reference sensors go bad / disconnect, then the car will turn over just fine but never fire off. Look towards the back of the engine, under the heater control valve, on top of the bellhousing. Just be careful because as soon as you lean over there everything that possibly could fall out of your pockets/hands will fall into this hole on the top of the bellhousing and into your clutch.
Old 09-11-2008, 12:50 PM
Jared944
Racer

These are all great suggestions, but as stated (numerous) times, check for spark. During a no-start condition, there are 2 primary things you need to check for :
a) Fuel at the rail
b) Spark (usually by pulling a plug, connecting it to the wire, setting it on the valve cover and turning the engine over).
If you have these two things, great! The problem isn't nearly as bad as it could be. THEN start checking your vacuum tubes, air intake, etc....
Old 09-11-2008, 01:48 PM
mtccl
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Agree its only fuel and spark to run.

Like Jared944 said, pull and check for spark. You're not checking the plugs themselves really. You're checking the spark to the plugs. Coil, coil wire, rotor, distributor shaft and distributor cap are all suspect (in that order). I would say plug wires, but even with a bad wire you'd figure the others were ok and it would just run crappy. If that fails then it could be the DME relay, DME or speed reference sensors. Now, see below...........

I personally think you're looking at a gas issue. If it has sat for 2 years I would do the gas drain, fuel system clean out thing as mentioned. Spraying starter fluid, carb cleaner or anything else that goes boom in the intake will help you diagnose that problem. If it starts to run and chokes itself out then you know it is BAD GAS. Over time the gas will evaporate and leave behind a nasty sticky mess that clogs everything up. (Learned this working on lawnmower carbs 25 years ago).

I reread your original post and you say that you replaced the fuel pump checked for voltage at the pump and it isn't working. Well if that is the case it can only be 2 things (1) you hooked the wires up backwards (2) the pump is bad.
Old 09-11-2008, 02:51 PM
krystar
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

remember to check all of the 3. spark, fuel, compression.

but this sounds like lack of fuel problem.

for fuel, u can just tell by unbolting the fuel line (watch for sprayage) at the rail and put it into a water bottle or some other container. turn the key to ON and see if fuel comes out. if fuel comes out the line, then yer pump is fine. if so, check injectors. if not, check the line.
Old 09-11-2008, 03:45 PM
ritzblitz
Drifting

I'll say it again, spray something like starting fluid into the intake and let us know what happens. If it sputters then you know you have spark and no fuel. If it doesnt sputter than you dont have spark and you might not have fuel.
Old 09-14-2008, 07:39 PM
vro944om
Racer

sorry i havent replied, been sitting in darkness after hurrican ike, havent had a chance to test any of these out yet..
Old 09-14-2008, 07:55 PM
vro944om
Racer

i just narrowed it down to a fuel system problem, i unscrewed the fuel rail cap on the side, and tried to start it, nothing came out. I have 2 Relays which both may be broken, idk, i've replaced the fuel pump. i have jumped the fuel pump so that gas actually came out, so maybe i just have 2 bad relays?

Quick Reply: Nothing Works!!!!