Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who here owns Gran Turismo 3?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2002, 01:46 AM
PorscheG96
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question Who here owns Gran Turismo 3?

It doesn't matter how long I d1ck around with the suspension settings on my cars I can't predict what the outcome will be. The car can be plowing just slightly so I'll firm up the rear sway bar a notch or adjust spring rates/damping accordingly but I get a completely different feel of nothing at all. If I screw with them for long enough [meaning HOURS] I'll get frustrated and change every field to full soft or full firm...and despite knowing the car will feel like **** and I'm going against the 'rules' I'm turning lap times as fast or FASTER than with my 'logical' setups?! WTF?! I feel like my copy is full of faults and it's really irritating...
Old 05-12-2002, 02:21 AM
RS 2.7
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i agree with your view on how the handling works in the game. they tried to make it as real as possible, and it is the most accurate racing video game, but there are things i just dont like about it.

also, i have GRAN TURISMO 2 on regular playstation, and what i dont like is that cars understeer way too much.
Old 05-12-2002, 11:35 AM
Luke
Nordschleife Master

although it isn't as "realistic" and doesn't have as many cars, I perfer Project Gotham Racing.

It's more like a big auto cross
Old 05-12-2002, 02:30 PM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

I have GTA3 and I beg to differ about the suspension settings...for example..

Yesterday I was using my trusty dusty 850HP skyline and I was wearing front tires out faster than rears...so I figure a little oversteer would help. I cranked up the rear sway bar to level 5 or 6 and walla...oversteer while going around a turn off throttle.

What kind of cars does everybody have? here's my list of the good ones:

Zonda C12S - 1000-1100hp
Viper - 1000-1100hp
lotus esprit - 1000-1100hp
Ruf RGT - 1010hp
Supra, tire spinning machine - 950hp
skyline GTR - 850hp

They kick everybody's *** on the straights, but are no competition for the race cars in the turns. The supra gets NO traction whatsoever...its useless.
Old 05-12-2002, 02:42 PM
PorscheG96
Race Car

Cool

I dig my Ruf cars. I seem to do just fine with my 996 twin turbo powered Boxster [630 horse] but if the big boys are on my butt I pull out the RGT [1030 horse]. After a couple more hours of 'tuning' this morning [haven't played this game for about a year...] I got both cars just the way I want them. It's 'bout goddamb time!
Old 05-12-2002, 03:03 PM
Tremelune
Three Wheelin'

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
You sons of bitches. I stopped playing GT a while ago because I started to fail school and not talk to other people. I'm not sure if I made the right decision.
Old 05-12-2002, 03:07 PM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

The zonda is vicious...

The race cars are gonna have less power than my street cars...they're not exactly worth spending 1,000,000 on one...

When I try to do the endurance races my tires last for like half as long as theirs...Although I am much faster than them (about 3 seconds a lap). I need to try using the crappiest tires there are..been using Medium.

I tried getting the Super license yesterday...wow that stuff is NOT easy. I've done 3 out of like 9 of em.

Special stage 11 is a sweet course...power oversteer out of every corner...really eats up the tires...hehe
Old 05-12-2002, 03:19 PM
Jonathan Martini
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know its not quite the challenge of some of the other cars, but I find the formula cars to be the most fun to drive. Those things can corner like nobody's business, and the acceleration just can't be beat. All I have right now are the F090 and F686.

Amoung the more regular cars, there are quite a few that I think are fun.

The Zonda C12S is great at accelerating and top speed, but it has taken me forever to get it to handle respectably. One of the funnest cars I have is the Renault Clio Racecar. Its just a fun car, and I like the Clio race series, especially the Monaco track. I've got a Lotus Esprit 350 that handles awesome stock. I beat the entire arcade part of the game (except rally courses) with just this car. No mods of any kind, except for racing tires and maybe a clutch and/or flywheel. Horsepower mods tend to make far more powerful cars show up in the arcade mode.

Alright, now I've got to go play...
Old 05-12-2002, 03:26 PM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

John, how do you get the formula cars???
Old 05-12-2002, 04:04 PM
IMB951
Drifting

Arrow

only car worth buying in GT3: Suzuki Escude Pikes Peak: 1800 hp: 322 mph top speed no joke
Old 05-12-2002, 06:26 PM
Jonathan Martini
Instructor

You have to win endurance races to get any of the formula cars, and I think you also get one for finishing all the endurance races and possibly all the professional league races, but by then you'd have one from endurance races anyway. If your goal is just to win a formula car, and aren't particular about actually driving every race there is a really easy way:

Step one, acquire the Pike's Peak Escudo.
Step Two, tune out completely.
Step Three, enter the 100 laps at Superspeedway endurance race.

The next step requires a little explaining. Some people call this the rubber-band trick, but I like to use big, heavy engineering books, of which I have and abundance.

Stack a couple of books for height and then put on another book such that one corner is resting on the button for acceleration. You will have to arrange the stack of books to act like kind of a fulcrum for the top book. Repeat for the right button on the digital pad, so that you are riding the wall the whole time. Also, you have to have this set up with automatic transmission.

Watch some TV. Have a sandwhich. Come back in 45 minutes to an hour and you will have several hundred thousand dollars and a new car. 1 in 4 chance of being the F090. If not, than probably some other cool car.

Once you get the your first formula car you can win any race that it is elligible for, usually laps ahead of the field. Driving becomes more about improving lap times and driving cleanly than winning, and that's not for everyone, so be warned.

Sure, it could be construed as cheating, but who really wants to do 100 laps of super speedway?

The Escudo can also trash every rally course by simply ramming into the walls, and with some wacky tuning it can pass 500 mph on the Test Course. Overall I really don't like the car, though. It is fun for a while, but I don't think its much fun to drive. Even with all that power it still handles horribly. I just don't enjoy ramming into the walls on every turn and it always seems that no matter when I brake its always too late.

Anyway, that's enough about games for me...
Old 05-12-2002, 09:31 PM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

Turns out you don't need the suziki..

I just set it up (super speedway endurance) with the RUF RGT, auto tranny, rubber banded the controls, tracs and stability maxed out and I'm winning!

So that means it probably works with any 1000hp + car except the supra...and maybe the viper cause its heavy.
Old 05-12-2002, 09:33 PM
PorscheG96
Race Car

[quote]Originally posted by adrial:
<strong>Turns out you don't need the suziki..</strong><hr></blockquote>
Did you get one, dude? I've been playing for a couple hours trying to save up a MILLION CREDITS!
Old 05-12-2002, 09:35 PM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

Nope I dont have the suziki but I will after I let it do super speedway for a while.
Old 05-12-2002, 09:40 PM
PorscheG96
Race Car

Ah ****, that was stupid of me. I meant did you get an F1 car?

Quick Reply: Who here owns Gran Turismo 3?