Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery dead, how to open doors or hatch?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2008, 07:41 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by mzman
What if the screws to get into the light lens are stripped and won't pull out...
Then a BFH is your next choice. You can always remove a quarter window very easily but need to reseal it well.
Old 09-08-2008, 08:15 PM
mzman
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jpk
Put the key in the door lock and turn it further than you normally do; counter-clockwise untill the key is vertical. It'll probably be pretty stiff.
The normal operation is electrical, where you turn it to operate a microswitch. In the event that fails, you have to turn it quite a bit further aand there is a mechanical linkage between the key and the lock.
Man you got me all excited. Went and tried and its not moving past vertical... even got a pair of pliers on the end of the key to add a little leverage and it didn't turn and I was beginning to get worried about bending the key. Well past what you could do by hand that's for sure.
Old 09-08-2008, 08:39 PM
jpk
Burning Brakes

I just tried that on my 968 - with the window open, i unlocked the car while holding the **** - I definately felt the electric solenoid pop the **** up, then as I pushed it back down a bit, I felt the mechanical resistance to the key as I was turning it. A quarter turn (to vertical) was all it will turn.
Did you try the passenger side?
Old 09-08-2008, 08:43 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 517 Posts

bust through the sunroof and use it as an excuse to buy a saratoga roof
Old 09-08-2008, 08:44 PM
jpk
Burning Brakes

I actually like the jumper cables to the starter idea. What about hooking up a battery charger down there? just be careful to only attach to the big screw terminal.
Old 09-08-2008, 09:06 PM
MyBlackCar
Pro

Are you sure your locking mechanism is not broken? I don't think even those German engineers were that stupid to build a car that can only open with a live battery.
Old 09-08-2008, 09:38 PM
87 944 C
Drifting

^ u'd b surprised....think brand new mercedes benz...high end s class. yup thats right, if the battery is dead, ur not getting in, well without the old fashioned jamer down the window and pulling up...wait have u tried that?

have u tried a lock jam?
Old 09-08-2008, 09:58 PM
teamking
Pro

Neither key will open the rear hatch, either? I can't for the life of me see how the battery could stop that from working.
Old 09-08-2008, 10:53 PM
Dougs951
Race Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Its Hammer Time!

But really the starter idea might work. btw do you remeber if you left it in gear? I would not attempt this unless the rear is jacked up and the front wheels chocked just to be safe.
Old 09-08-2008, 10:54 PM
mzman
Instructor

Originally Posted by V2Rocket_aka944
bust through the sunroof and use it as an excuse to buy a saratoga roof
I'd love to but I'm in Uni right now and a $1000 sunroof is not an option at the moment.

Originally Posted by jpk
I actually like the jumper cables to the starter idea. What about hooking up a battery charger down there? just be careful to only attach to the big screw terminal.
Going to unhook the cable that goes from the starter solenoid up to the battery, linking that with a battery charger and hooking the ground up somewhere. Then climbing out from under and plugging the charger in, just in case it turns over I don't want to be under it when it jumps the jack stands.

Originally Posted by MyBlackCar
Are you sure your locking mechanism is not broken? I don't think even those German engineers were that stupid to build a car that can only open with a live battery.
I'm pretty sure its working just fine, unless both doors and the hatch all decided to break at the same exact time.

Originally Posted by 87 944 C
^ u'd b surprised....think brand new mercedes benz...high end s class. yup thats right, if the battery is dead, ur not getting in, well without the old fashioned jamer down the window and pulling up...wait have u tried that?

have u tried a lock jam?
Called the locksmith and it is going to cost me $50 and he said that he is not sure that he can get in, so that's a last resort.

Originally Posted by teamking
Neither key will open the rear hatch, either? I can't for the life of me see how the battery could stop that from working.
Nope neither key opens it.

Thanks for your help guys, I will keep you posted tomorrow after I try hooking the battery charger to the line going to the starter. I to am amazed that Porsche wouldn't of thought this situation, I also am surprised that no one else has run in to this problem as well.
Old 09-08-2008, 11:10 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Youve got something funky going on.... I can open my hatch with my key, and the battery is removed. I will try the doors for kicks when I get home this weekend, but still the hatch opens no problem. I cant see the doors not opening like someone said.
Old 09-09-2008, 12:03 PM
mzman
Instructor

Originally Posted by theedge
Youve got something funky going on.... I can open my hatch with my key, and the battery is removed. I will try the doors for kicks when I get home this weekend, but still the hatch opens no problem. I cant see the doors not opening like someone said.
I guess it must have something strange, don't know what it would be though, the car is stock other then performance mods that I have added.

UPDATE! I jacked the rear end up climbed under hooked up a battery charger to the line going to the starter. Then as soon as I plugged in the battery charger the hatch popped open and the doors all work with the key just like normal. So unless my car is one of a kind, 88 951 have electric doors AND hatch release. I just swapped in a brand new battery to avoid this problem in the future.
Old 09-09-2008, 01:08 PM
jpk
Burning Brakes

Good to hear that you got in. The hatch release on the later cars was always only electric, as is the primary operation for the door locks. What is not right with you car is why the mechanical backup system of the key in the door doesn't work. Open up your door panel and look for a problem with the linkage...

If you don't drive the car regularly (at least once a week or more often) you really should use a trickle charger to keep the battery topped up. Not only will this avoid problems like you're having, but it will greatly extend the life of the battery. I'm going on 7 years for the battery in my truck; it getts plugged in whenever I'm not using it.
Old 09-09-2008, 01:24 PM
Spidey944
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

+1 for the battery tender. $29.95 for one from NAPA and I plug mine in every time I am done driving.
Old 09-09-2008, 06:26 PM
mzman
Instructor

Maybe only the 968 have the mechanical door backup? I see you mentioned trying it on your 968. But yes a battery tender is the next on my list of things to get; and the battery was only 5 years old and had a guarantee of 7 years so I got the new one cheap.

Quick Reply: Battery dead, how to open doors or hatch?