Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

gas smell D:

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2003, 07:07 PM
qoncept944
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post gas smell D:

After my car has been sitting around a while not running, the interior starts to smell like gas. As soon as I get the windows down and drive around a bit, it airs out. It used to be a hint of a smell, but I think it's gotten worse (or it might just be how muggy it was today). Advice?
Old 06-06-2003, 07:30 PM
Tremelune
Three Wheelin'

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
Sounds like the charcoal canister...Mine smells like gas, but only when the tank is full and the car's running...
Old 06-06-2003, 07:33 PM
adrian_jaye
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by qoncept944:
<strong>After my car has been sitting around a while not running, the interior starts to smell like gas. As soon as I get the windows down and drive around a bit, it airs out. It used to be a hint of a smell, but I think it's gotten worse (or it might just be how muggy it was today). Advice?</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">sorry uk boy here,
when you say gas what smell do you mean

GAS as in Petrol/fuel
GAS as in what americans say "I passed some gas" ?
or GAS as in rotten eggs smell ?

cs I knwo about a fix for the last one
Old 06-06-2003, 07:39 PM
mouse
Burning Brakes

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by adrian_jaye:
<strong>[QUOTE]Originally posted by qoncept944:
[qb]
GAS as in Petrol/fuel
GAS as in what americans say "I passed some gas" ?
or GAS as in rotten eggs smell ?
</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">I'm quite sure he means gas as in gasoline.
Old 06-06-2003, 07:40 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
I have always gotten the gas/fuel/petrol/ethyl smell with a full tank with the car running on all 4 944 series cars I have owned.
Old 06-06-2003, 07:42 PM
adrian_jaye
Drifting

complaint of a sulpher or rotten egg smell from the exhaust system.

When the engine is running a rich mixture, such as under acceleration or under heavy load, there may be a relative lack of oxygen available in the catalytic converter to form sulfur dioxide. Hydrogen sulfide is formed instead. If there is an excess of sulfur in the fuel, more hydrogen sulfide is formed. It is the hydrogen sulfide which produces the sulfur or rotten egg smell. Hydrogen sulfide can be detected by the human nose at extremely low concentration levels, on the order of several parts per billion. Under normal operating conditions, hydrogen sulfide, is not formed at a level detectible by the customer.

If you have a complaint of a sulfur or rotten egg smell, you should do the following:

1. Check to make sure that there are no faults stored in the engine control module and that the engine and fuel systems are operating properly.

2. If there are no problems found with these systems, change to a different fuel brand. Since the sulfur content of available fuels can vary greatly, changing to a different brand of fuel with lower sulfur content should reduce the formation of hydrogen sulfide.

if there are no problems found in the engine or fuel systems, replacement of emission related components such as oxygen sensors or catalytic converters will not reduce the smell since the primary cause lies in the fuel.
Old 06-06-2003, 07:43 PM
adrian_jaye
Drifting

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by Marc Gelefsky:
<strong>I have always gotten the gas/fuel/petrol/ethyl smell with a full tank with the car running on all 4 944 series cars I have owned.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">my cab has no such problem
Old 06-06-2003, 08:20 PM
Tremelune
Three Wheelin'

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
Mine never used to...does now.
Old 06-07-2003, 02:18 PM
coupe
Instructor

charcoal canister..Where is it located?&gt; My car just stared smelling petrol, after it has been parked over night.
Old 06-07-2003, 04:02 PM
SidViscous
Big thirst, Sore Thumbs
Rennlist Member
Napoleon

Received 585 Likes on 375 Posts
It's under the drivers side Front Fender.

They hid it so thieves wouldn't steal it.

"My precious charcoal..."
Old 06-07-2003, 04:20 PM
Mouthpiece
Addict
Rennlist Member

How often should the charcoal canister be replaced?
Old 06-07-2003, 05:49 PM
TF
Instructor

Is the canister part of thE fuel system? What does it connect to?
THANKS
Old 06-07-2003, 06:00 PM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

There are fuel lines for the gas filler tube inside the car, there are vent an overflow lines as well as the filler tube itself. I would look at these first since the smell appears with the window rolled up and the canister is outside of the car. I think they are on the passenger side, behind the rear seat. Open the back hatch and pull off the carpet on the passenger side. You will be able to see the lines and the filler tube.
Old 06-07-2003, 09:31 PM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Brian brings up a good suggestion in checking the ventilation lines.

FWIW, the proximity of the canister location to the cabin may also cause the smell to get inside. Much in the same way you get fuel smell from leaking injectors, which are "a fire wall seal away" in the engine compartment.

As for replacing the canister itself, I just did this in my S2 cabrio. Note that the replacement part for the later cars from Porsche is part # 993.201.221.01. This 993 part has superseded the earlier 928 part. Not sure about the earlier cars. The difference is that whereas the previous part had 2 openings, the new one has 3 (Motor, Air, Tank) and one must be sealed off (Tank).

You can also buy the cap for the tank opening (PN 930.110.256.02) and the clamp for the engine hose (PN 999.512.427.02) or reuse the snap ring that's on it now. The tie wrap that holds the air hose to the canister can be slid off and reused on the new canister as well.

Replacement procedure is quite simple, but you must remove the driver side front wheel and on turbo nose cars you need to be careful while removing the fender liner also. You must take the whole liner out, because the canister is tucked away at the back of the fender and can't be reached otherwise.

Note that the fender liner is attached to the front section of the rocker panel trim (bottom of the fender) and both parts must come out together. To remove the liner, you will need a 10 mm socket wrench and philips screwdriver. The 2 canister bolts are larger.

The rocker panel trim is attached to the inside of the fender at the bottom by two 10 mm bolts that are hard to see. Be sure to remove them or you will crack the trim/liner. The liner is attached to the lower nose trim by a series of bolts and screws as well.

Once the liner is out of the car, get the canister out by loosening the 2 bolts and disconnecting the engine hose and the air hose. You will need pliers to remove the snap rings. The pliers in the car's tool kit work great, BTW.

Reconnect the hoses, making sure to cap off the "Tank" opening and as the Haynes manual says, "replacement is opposite of removal."

I'm checking the filler neck hoses too. Thanks Brian!

Quick Reply: gas smell D: