Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finally got my head off!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2003, 04:40 PM
Gear Dog
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Finally got my head off!!!

It was a bear but I got it off. I was worried that the valves were bent due to a broken timing belt. I don't see any signs of the valves making contact with the pistons so I assume they are ok.
As you can see the pistons are there also although not the clearest pic.
Is it supposed to look that bad????
I'm thinking about just replacing the gaskets on this engine just so I can drive it finally. I will take the spare engine and rebuild it over the winter. I figure this way I can drive it this summer and take my time and do a complete rebuild.

Ken

<a href="http://members.rennlist.com/944ken/HEAD.BMP" target="_blank">http://members.rennlist.com/944ken/HEAD.BMP</a>
Old 06-06-2003, 05:10 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Received 836 Likes on 525 Posts
First off - do not assume there are no bent valves. You should do a leak test. Since you already have the cam off, all you need to do is tilt the head to one side and fill the ports with liquid. Water is ok. Check each port for loss of liquid. Any that seep out past the valve indicate a bent valve or a poor seal. Repeat for the other side. Hopefully you will see no seepage (allow an hour or so). If not you can figure the valves are not bent and the valve seat interface is reasonably good. This still does not mean the valve seals are good and the valve seat may also need to be ground. While the head is off you will want to clean and recondition everything. All worn parts should be replaced and you will likely want to have the valves done (seat grind, new stem seals, etc).

Good luck.

Scott
<a href="http://www.teamharco.com" target="_blank">www.teamharco.com</a>
Old 06-06-2003, 05:17 PM
Kierf - ¿§?
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Holy ginormous file size...! Get some compression on that, some people don't want to wait for a 3.7mb picture.
Old 06-06-2003, 05:39 PM
ian
Nordschleife Master

Received 66 Likes on 38 Posts
Should they be that dirty?

no, your pistons have a lot of build up on them. I would go through there and clean them up, as well as to check to see if you bores are looking good.

good luck with the valves....
Old 06-07-2003, 03:46 AM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
At least you should take it to a good machine shop and have the head milled flat, preasure checked and the valve stem seals replaced.

Quick Reply: Finally got my head off!!!