Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

944 Intermittent Cutting Out

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2008 | 11:52 PM
Shabba
Racer

Default 944 Intermittent Cutting Out

Ok guys, I'm stumped. I've searched here and found a million things this could be...but none of them really fit what my car is doing. About 2 weeks ago, I was driving down Powhite Parkway here in Richmond and my car, at about 70 mph, cut off. By that, I mean it just started slowing down and pumping the gas was doing nothing. Within 5 seconds, it started back up and ran fine for about a half hour. It stopped again IN a toll booth. I tried banging on the floorboard where the DME is as I have read that the DME can have some soldering come loose, but that didn't work. No one but my wife was behind me so I was able to yell at the car and it eventually fired back up.
I parked the car and haven't driven it much since. I decided to check the reference sensors and seeing the connectors were tight, I tried driving it again tonight and sure enough, it did the same thing. This time, it died as I was pulling in my driveway. It wouldn't start again, so I decided to try a new DME relay. It fired up, so I decided to try all 3 of my relays, inlcuding the one I had just taken out. Each time, including the original relay, the car started. After I sat in the car for a few minutes puzzled, I tried to start it again, but it wouldn't. Of note, I have never changed the fuel filter in the 2 years I have owned it and to my knowledge, the fuel pump is original as is the DME.

Does this sound like a clogged fuel flilter, a bad FPR, dying DME, dying fuel pump, screwy reference sensor or just something else? Help me!
Old 09-04-2008 | 01:22 AM
Andy1212
Burning Brakes

I'm having the same problem. Does your tach bounce when your cranking it over? First thing to do is check the relay ( which you did). Then check for spark, then fuel. It is most likely your DME is bad.
Old 09-04-2008 | 07:26 PM
Shabba
Racer

Originally Posted by Andy1212
I'm having the same problem. Does your tach bounce when your cranking it over? First thing to do is check the relay ( which you did). Then check for spark, then fuel. It is most likely your DME is bad.
Yes..it is bouncing so I know the sensors are good. I have a feeling it IS the DME, but I want to be sure. Anyone else?
Old 09-05-2008 | 11:53 PM
Shabba
Racer

No one else?
Old 09-05-2008 | 11:55 PM
Andy1212
Burning Brakes

Did you check for spark or fuel? It is nearly impossible to determine what your problem is if you don't check.
Old 09-06-2008 | 03:54 PM
Shabba
Racer

That's the problem. The car will start and run, but it is intermittent. I can't check the fuel or the spark if the car is running. It's obviously getting both at certain times. I DID have small clue thrown my way yesterday. When the car started for me to move it, I heard a series of clicking sounds near the DME in the floorboard...methinks that might be indicative of the DME...suggestions?
Old 09-06-2008 | 09:10 PM
Andy1212
Burning Brakes

Clicking sounds would be from relays. I would bet it is your DME.
Old 09-11-2008 | 06:40 PM
Shabba
Racer

Ok here is an update. I was able to borrow a DME from someone and I have been running it in the car now for 2 days. Last night, the car died again while coming home...I drove it today and noticed a lot of clicking from the passenger floorboard...well, it isn't the DME because I have it lying on the floorboard so I can hear it. When I heard the clicking, I picked the DME up and there was no noise coming from it. Of note, I also had to tighten the reference sensor plug on the firewall the other day before I could get the car to start. It was tight last night when the car died.

What else could be the problem?
Old 09-12-2008 | 05:57 PM
Shabba
Racer

Nothing? Anyone?
Old 09-12-2008 | 08:40 PM
Ryan C
Advanced

Maybe you should pull a spark plug, especially right when it won't start. If it's wet then you know there's fuel. Then maybe check your ignition system. If not check your fuel system.

It also wouldn't hurt to check the fuel pump. If you put a jumper wire in the fuse box where the DME relay goes you can activate the fuel pump. Again, do this when it doesn't run for you. You should then be able to feel the fuel pump running. If it is then maybe your fuel filter.

Quick Reply: 944 Intermittent Cutting Out