Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removing Rear "Porsche" Decal

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2003, 05:16 AM
ACG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Removing Rear "Porsche" Decal

Has anyone tried removing the rear decal that runs across the rear width, just above the bumper.

I bought my 951, and the PO installed a the rear panel lens with the "PORSCHE" script (in the original license plate area). I'd thought about removing it. But there would be the added hassle of patching up the holes in the license plate area, and repainting the patched areas.

It is redundant to have two PORSCHE scripts right above one another. The better option would be to remove the decal, and keep the rear panel lens.

Will removing it cause me to have a faded area? Will it just peel right off?
Old 05-24-2003, 05:19 AM
ACG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Here is a pics of the holes in the license plate area....yikes....

<a href="http://www.globewerks.net/personal_images/2003april_porsche951/DSCF0183.JPG" target="_blank">http://www.globewerks.net/personal_images/2003april_porsche951/DSCF0183.JPG</a>
Old 05-24-2003, 05:41 AM
Devia
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Oh, I don't know if you really want to do that...cops pulled me over and harrassed me, claiming he didn't see the dealer sticker in the passenger front windshield; because I didn't have the 944 number on it, he claimed I was driving a stripped Porsche, for crying out loud!

Signal Hill police are notorious for impounding cars for auction, grr! Seemed a little sorry he had to let me go.

- Julie
Old 05-24-2003, 06:04 AM
mideastmafia
Three Wheelin'

take the sticker off..

i did it to my 944 and it came out fine. just start at it with a razor blade and peel the sticker VERY carefully. remove the excess adhesive with paint thinner. the end result gives you a much cleaner and uniform look.

SHAUN
Old 05-24-2003, 09:55 AM
Bruce '89 s2
Racer

NOT paint cellulose paint thinner!!!!!
That'll ruin the paint.
Old 05-24-2003, 11:53 AM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by Devia:
<strong>Oh, I don't know if you really want to do that...cops pulled me over and harrassed me, claiming he didn't see the dealer sticker in the passenger front windshield; because I didn't have the 944 number on it, he claimed I was driving a stripped Porsche, for crying out loud!

Signal Hill police are notorious for impounding cars for auction, grr! Seemed a little sorry he had to let me go.

- Julie</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">I would have taken the cop's badge no and nailed him for harassment. that is the most utter bull**** i have ever heard of.
Old 05-24-2003, 12:29 PM
83Green944
Instructor

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by Rich Sandor:
<strong> </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by Devia:
<strong>Oh, I don't know if you really want to do that...cops pulled me over and harrassed me, claiming he didn't see the dealer sticker in the passenger front windshield; because I didn't have the 944 number on it, he claimed I was driving a stripped Porsche, for crying out loud!

- Julie</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">I would have taken the cop's badge no and nailed him for harassment. that is the most utter bull**** i have ever heard of.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">I would have to agree on this... that is a bunch of crap. Apparently the cops don't seem to understand anymore, that we pay there wages...
Old 05-24-2003, 12:35 PM
ACG
Addict
Rennlist Member

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by mideastmafia:
<strong>take the sticker off..

i did it to my 944 and it came out fine. just start at it with a razor blade and peel the sticker VERY carefully. remove the excess adhesive with paint thinner. the end result gives you a much cleaner and uniform look.

SHAUN</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">THANKS for the info everyone!

Shaun, I respectfully nix the idea of the paint remover. Me thinks this work better....3M Bug Tar and Adhesive better...I tried it and it work wonders:

<a href="http://shop.store.yahoo.com/autobodymagic/3madtarwaxre.html" target="_blank">http://shop.store.yahoo.com/autobodymagic/3madtarwaxre.html</a>

I am going to give it a go today!
Old 05-24-2003, 01:01 PM
qoncept944
Pro

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by 83Green944:
<strong>I would have to agree on this... that is a bunch of crap. Apparently the cops don't seem to understand anymore, that we pay there wages...</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Along the same lines, most people don't seem to understand that police are just people trying to do their jobs..

ANYWAY.. Personally, I think the Porsche sticker across the back is supremely ugly, and luckily, so did the PO, so I got the Porsche script lights in back. Unfortunately, it's kind of bowed outward and the lights don't work (are there SUPPOSED to be lights??)

Also, it's got an awful looking frame around the license plate (which came from the DMV warped, like all other Alabama plates). Is it required to have lights on the license plate? I'd like to get rid of that frame and get a reasonable one.
Old 05-24-2003, 01:45 PM
pete944
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

See what a body shop would charge to fill the holes and paint the rear bumper and license plate area. Then you could leave the license plate where God & Dr. Porsche intended.
Old 05-24-2003, 01:57 PM
ACG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Eatimates were around $150 - $350 to patch the holes, and re-paint it. Here is a thread for additional info:

<a href="http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=104765" target="_blank">http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=104765</a>
Old 05-24-2003, 02:50 PM
Tremelune
Three Wheelin'

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
My vote is to take that light thing off and plug the holes....
Old 05-24-2003, 03:01 PM
Ag951
Three Wheelin'

I say plug the holes and remove the sticker. When I'm done, all my car will say on the back is 'turbo'.
(Also remove the pinstripe...damn '80s lack of style).
Old 05-24-2003, 07:27 PM
Inc. CEO
Track Day

I take off decals, bumperstickers, stuff like that all day at work. A good pressure washer should make quick work of the sticker and pinstriping. A little bit of surface prep solvent(Ardex) will take care of the glue.

Quick Reply: Removing Rear "Porsche" Decal