Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

951 smoking from tailpipe- a bunch

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2002, 02:17 PM
9milphil
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post 951 smoking from tailpipe- a bunch

not good- I cranked up (actually had to bump start it)my 86 944 turbo that isnt in the best condition (just to let you know) and after a second it started to smoke horribly out of the tail pipe -white smoke -bad enough to seep in the hatch and smoke out the interior- obviouslly I cut it off and put it away... started it again the other day (hadnt run it since the first time) and the same thing....starting to worry- but it was somewhat of an over night thing. seems to be running okay too... it did it the time before then quit smoking... like something was dripping on the headers...but now it is out of the back...???
help?

9milphil
Atlanta
Old 05-28-2002, 05:19 PM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
White smoke = coolant

which in a turbo usually = head gasket going *POOF*
Old 05-29-2002, 01:34 AM
951and944S
Race Car

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts
9mil, pull the intercooler pipe that attaches to the turbocharger.
If you see an inch dep of oil in there, then your oil cooler housing seals are bad.
Search for a thread called "All 951 owners" for symptoms.
I've seen many heads removed, engines overhauled, turbo's replaced for nothing.
Generally, you are having an amount of coolant mixing with your oil, making it thin enough to pass the turbo sealing rings and enter the intake tract. Oil pressure is higher while the engine's running, but when you kill the motor, coolant pressure still exist in the system and this is when it's mixing.
When you were forced to bump start it, I'll guess there was enough "uncompressable" liquid in the combution chamber not allowing your starter to turn the engine over.
Be careful for two reasons, if you force the engine over in this condition you can damage/bend a connecting rod.
Thankfully your engine '86 has forged rods and they are probably OK, but continuous running with mixture in the sump will cause premature rod/main bearing failure....

Good luck
Terry
Old 05-29-2002, 02:05 AM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sound like you ran this horse hard and put it to bed wet one too many times. My vote is head gasket but you should do a cylinder leakage test to see what is going on. If it is good, then the oil cooler should be pulled and the seals replaced.

To 951and944 point, if it is hydolocked, it could really hurt the engine to run it or burn up the starter even trying. Looking at the plugs, they might tell you alot about what you are burning. If oil and coolant are mixing, your oil will look milky in color and the coolant level will be low.
Old 05-29-2002, 10:55 AM
9milphil
Intermediate

thanks for the help...My battery is dead becasue it has been sitting for so long - so i know it isnt hydrolock- I have had that happen on race bikes before... I am going to check everything - obviously- but I was thinking - it might be a stuck Fuel injector - what do you think?
Granted it isn't black smoke, but I have seen that before in other ones. ???
Old 05-29-2002, 12:42 PM
TheJonesBoy
Advanced

Let the car sit for a while. Before you start it, pull the plugs. If you get a guyser of water, you have a head gasget problem.

You should do the same thing if the starter hangs up. Push starting will bend things or blow your head gasket (more if it is already blown).

A head gasget replacement is tedious, but not as difficult as you think.

Quick Reply: 951 smoking from tailpipe- a bunch