Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

car alarm options

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2002, 11:31 PM
Cass944
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post car alarm options

<a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1945577437" target="_blank">http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1945577437</a>

this is the only cool thing ive found so far. whats the best company out there, a while aog there was a post about a autolock company or something liek that. but i tried <a href="http://www.autolock.com" target="_blank">www.autolock.com</a> and thats not it. i dont have a factory alarm in my car because its an 86. so does that reduce what i can use?
Old 12-17-2002, 01:00 PM
mouse
Burning Brakes

I just bought an alarm for my '88 944 S after someone attempted to steal it at my apartment complex. I ended up going to Car Toys and getting a "Clifford Matrix II" alarm, it has a starter interrupt and several other features. I had them hook up headlight flashers and integrate it with my locks, which is very nice. After installation costs it was 406 bucks. If you buy one off E-Bay, I assume you will be installing it yourself. I don't know much about this, so I won't even try...but I would think it would be hard for someone that's never done it before. I have a factory alarm on my car, but I don't have the key for it. Having / Not Having a factory alarm isn't going to change functionality of a new alarm, though you could use both. I'm considering paying my local dealer a bunch of money just to re-key my factory alarm so I can use both, because it disables the DME when activated. Even though I have a starter interrupt, I figure the more the better.

BTW, I wouldn't buy cheap deals like the alarm you linked. I couldn't even find a brand name on that thing. My alarm came with a warranty, so if something goes wrong Car Toys will fix it...which is something I doubt you'll get with that one. And also those remote systems in theory are very cool, but I've heard from people that have them that say it ends up being really annoying...like it will go off and they run out into the parking lot all worried to find it was just a cat.
Old 12-17-2002, 01:12 PM
OZ951
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I wouldnt be too concerned about the lack of branding on some of the alarms as it is one of those industries where the same electronics are sold in different boxes - even the big manufacturers do this (ie several factory alarms are made by codealarm) and other retailers also sell their own versions of the same systems.

I have purchased an aftermarket alarm as well and will do the install for that myself sometime in the near future.
Old 12-17-2002, 04:37 PM
Scootin159
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
[quote]Originally posted by mouse [CTY]:
<strong>I just bought an alarm for my '88 944 S after someone attempted to steal it at my apartment complex. I ended up going to Car Toys and getting a "Clifford Matrix II" alarm, it has a starter interrupt and several other features. I had them hook up headlight flashers and integrate it with my locks, which is very nice. After installation costs it was 406 bucks. If you buy one off E-Bay, I assume you will be installing it yourself. I don't know much about this, so I won't even try...but I would think it would be hard for someone that's never done it before. I have a factory alarm on my car, but I don't have the key for it. Having / Not Having a factory alarm isn't going to change functionality of a new alarm, though you could use both. I'm considering paying my local dealer a bunch of money just to re-key my factory alarm so I can use both, because it disables the DME when activated. Even though I have a starter interrupt, I figure the more the better.

BTW, I wouldn't buy cheap deals like the alarm you linked. I couldn't even find a brand name on that thing. My alarm came with a warranty, so if something goes wrong Car Toys will fix it...which is something I doubt you'll get with that one. And also those remote systems in theory are very cool, but I've heard from people that have them that say it ends up being really annoying...like it will go off and they run out into the parking lot all worried to find it was just a cat.</strong><hr></blockquote>

You could make your aftermarket alarm kill the DME just like it kills the starter. Probably could even wire it yourself...just make it so when it flips the relay to kill the starter, it filps a relay to the DME.
Old 12-17-2002, 05:32 PM
mouse
Burning Brakes

[quote]Originally posted by Scootin159:
<strong>

You could make your aftermarket alarm kill the DME just like it kills the starter. Probably could even wire it yourself...just make it so when it flips the relay to kill the starter, it filps a relay to the DME.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Hmm, I'll have to look into this....have you ever done it?
Old 12-17-2002, 06:10 PM
Sean
Drifting

Cass, I think the link you were seeking is <a href="http://www.autoloc.com" target="_blank">http://www.autoloc.com</a>.

My car has factory alar, but I am interested in adding remote keyless entry (with parking light flashes to confirm lock/unlock). From what I've read here, it sounds like it should not cost more than $100 or so.
Old 12-17-2002, 10:27 PM
bf95cab
Instructor

I just installed an aftermarket in my 968. Bought an autoloc 1604 on ebay for $25. Once i found out where the brain was located in the car, and which wire was which, installation was about a couple hours first screw out to last screw replaced. If anyone wants i took pictures and could write up an install.
its okay, but autoloc hid the fact that it doesn't flash the lights when locking or unlocking, so i'm going to take it out and put in an'executive 3000' i got on ebay for $32, which does that and a lot more. It looks like most manufacturers buy the circuit board from Motorola or another big electronics giant, then just like many of the computer manufacturers use the boards as a base and go from there. There are differences in the components and features implemented, and the quality of the components and support varies, just like the computers.

If you're looking for a good place to buy, try <a href="http://www.mypushcart.com," target="_blank">www.mypushcart.com,</a> who i bought the second unit from on ebay for a little less than he sells it on his web site. Honest, helpful, inexpensive, quick, and no connection to me.
Old 12-17-2002, 10:39 PM
Scootin159
Drifting

[quote]Originally posted by mouse [CTY]:
<strong>

Hmm, I'll have to look into this....have you ever done it?</strong><hr></blockquote>

No, but I'm pretty certain it would work. Just depends on how it "kills" the starter.

Quick Reply: car alarm options