Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Look! Custom subwoofer enclosure

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2002, 01:09 AM
RAD951
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Look! Custom subwoofer enclosure

Hello all 944,Turbo,S2,968 owners. I am building a subwoofer enclosure that fits over the rear seats. This enclosure looks very good and is contoured around the wheel wells in the arear where the rear seats used to be. I started making these boxes after I was told that making a custom box for my car would run $350. So I set out to design my own box and came up with this box. Its actually a panel that fits over the area of the rear seats. Its light weight so there is no problem with performance. You will although have to remove the rear seats, but you save some weight. I am selling these subwoofer enclosures for $125 plus $35 shipping insured. I currently have one in my 1986 944 turbo with two ten inch MB Quart subs. They sound very clean and tight bass. The air inside is sealed out and can be used with any 10" or 8" subs. If anyone is interested in buying one. Please email me or reply with any questions.
Old 05-28-2002, 01:12 AM
PorscheG96
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up

That is so sweet. Looks like the box that was in the '86 Turbo that everyone went nuts over last week.

Can you match other carpet colors?
Old 05-28-2002, 11:31 AM
Noah S.
Intermediate

The box looks great! Do you have any pictures of where the box meets the side of the car? What is the boxes internal volume? Also what is it made out of? MDF, fiberglass, both or something else? How thick are the enclures walls?

Thanks,
Noah
Old 05-28-2002, 02:12 PM
RAD951
Racer

Smile

Hello, the box is made out of 3/4" MDF, and is carpeted. It is contoured such that the air is sealed out. I can use these color carpets: black, light charcoal gray, burgandy, light brown or sand. Looks real good and sounds good too. I am currently making one for two 6x9". But you can choose what ever you would like it to be made out of. Thanks for putting your replies, I hope the picture turns out.
Old 05-28-2002, 02:16 PM
RAD951
Racer

Oh I forgot, the internal volume of air is estimated around 2.0sqft for the whole thing. I prefer putting polyfill in the whole thing because it will sound much much better. Also you can dynomat the inside for even more spl. This boxt is great for Jl Audio subs. I wanted to put two 10" Jl audio 10w3 but don't have much money, so instead put two MB Quart 10" subs. GReat sound though. If you have anymore questions, feel free to ask.
Old 05-28-2002, 02:32 PM
my944
Pro

Question

It looks like a flat board with holes cut in it and the front edge cut to fit the "hump". Even if the edge was cut perfectly, you still would not have an airtight environment. In order for most subs to function properly, you would need to fully enclose this "board" or attach it to the car with fiberglass or by some other means. A weakly sealed enclosure would not provide the proper environment to house "sealed" subs. This would require the use of "free air" subs, which I find to have a sloppy sound.

Do you have a properly sealed version?
Old 05-28-2002, 04:07 PM
slevy951
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
[quote]Originally posted by RAD951:
<strong>Oh I forgot, the internal volume of air is estimated around 2.0sqft for the whole thing. </strong><hr></blockquote>

2 ft^2?? or do you mean 2ft^3. That's an awful lot of space for 10's. Especially if your stuffing them. The JLs like around .7ft^3. Does it sound muddy/boomy??
Old 05-28-2002, 05:07 PM
RAD951
Racer

Sorry, I meant 2 cubic feet of air (total) so really its 1 cubic feet of air per speaker. The eclosure will seal out of the air, the only area where air might escape will be where the MDF panel meets the body or metal, but you can seal it out with silicone caulking and I also provide 12 feet of rubber sealant tape.Trust me your subs will sound good. Using polyfill is prefered because all of the sound waves will move outwards out of the box. I always use poly fill on all speaker boxes because it makes it sound much cleaner and louder.
Old 05-30-2002, 12:53 AM
RAD951
Racer

Cool

I take back what I said on one of my posts, this box produces head shattering bass! I just installed a new amp (us acoustics), and what a day and night difference. The subs hit very low and sound awsome. I new that the Mb Quart subs I used were pretty good. I think also the reason why the system sounds good also is because the interior space or the rear seat pockets are curved, so all of the sound waves bounce or are projected outwards because metal is curved inside. I have also have more pics of the box.
Old 05-30-2002, 12:55 AM
RAD951
Racer

Cool

I take back what I said on one of my posts, this box produces head shattering bass! I just installed a new amp (us acoustics), and what a day and night difference. The subs hit very low and sound awsome. I new that the Mb Quart subs I used were pretty good. I think also the reason why the system sounds good also is because the interior space or the rear seat pockets are curved, so all of the sound waves bounce or are projected outwards because metal is curved inside. I have also have more pics of the box.
Old 05-30-2002, 01:01 AM
DangerIsland
Burning Brakes

I'm confused.

Isn't this just a panel, not a box? Unless there's some bottom piece that you haven't taken a picture of, I don't get it.

Unless this thing is sealed very well (read: screwed in) and secured at the edges it's going to rattle and move around.

I'd need more convincing than "The eclosure will seal out of the air" which doesn't even make sense.

help me out here, what's the deal?
Old 05-30-2002, 02:00 AM
RAD951
Racer

Sorry that I haven't been any clearer, but this is a panel that fits over the area where the bottom reat seat goes. You have to remove the bottom rear seat. I was testing my new amplifier today with the subs and panel and I didn't even have it screwed in or completely sealed out the air, and it sounded awsome. I was holding the panel down with only my hand! Its hard to explain without you seeing it in person, but the panel countours around ALL EDGES. The box can be completely sealed out using hardware store clear silicon sealant. I don't know what else to tell ya. I am hearing the box play in person it sounds perfect, and I wouldn't fool anyone. The panel IS NOT GOING TO RATTLE or MOVE AROUND because its going to be screwed into the body. I am telling you it will sound just as good as a sealed box. TRUST ME
Old 05-30-2002, 03:41 AM
mideastmafia
Three Wheelin'

you have to realize that a box needs to be COMPLETELY sealed to sound good... those lil cracks on the side will leak air out. and you cant say that it fits PERFECTLY because air wills till squeeze out.. maybe if u could mold some fiberglass around the seats to fit on the back side of the box.

SHAUN
Old 05-30-2002, 09:28 AM
slevy951
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How does it fasten to the car? Do you have to make screw holes in the sheetmetal somewhere? or do you use some sort of existing hole? or does it just sit there??
Old 05-30-2002, 01:06 PM
my944
Pro

Question

RAD951,

Not for nothing, but don't you think $160 shipped is a bit much to ask for a piece of cut MDF that's covered in cloth/carpet?

Quick Reply: Look! Custom subwoofer enclosure