Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I sent $ for wheels, but received no wheels. Advice?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2003 | 10:03 AM
Mark Hubley
Addict
Rennlist Member

Question I sent $ for wheels, but received no wheels. Advice?

On May 10 I sent someone a money order to purchase a set of used wheels for my 944. I have yet to receive the wheels. At the time I was arranging the purchase I was in frequent e-mail contact with the seller. However, I have received no e-mail communication from the seller since I sent the $. I called the seller about two weeks ago, and he said that he had been busy with other things and would ship the wheels soon. Still no wheels or communication.

Back in May when I was arranging the purchase the seller said he was busy, and I said I was "in no big rush". However, I'm starting to get anxious about whether or not I will ever see the wheels. Also, I hope to get them soon because I would like the opportunity to refinish them (if necessary) during the summer. A few months ago I purchased something from the same seller, and it arrived within a few days of me sending the $. So, I'm unsure about what to do next. (By the way, the purchase was not through e-bay, just a private deal.)

I guess the obvious answer is to call the seller again, since I have his cell phone #. Granted, it can be a PITA to get a set of wheels w/tires in the mail. Should I be a little more patient?

Cheers,

Mark
Old 06-20-2003 | 10:33 AM
slinky
Burning Brakes

Is this through ebay? If so, threaten him with negative feedback and a fraud complaint.
Old 06-20-2003 | 10:38 AM
Mikey Mason
Racer

If this was a fellow Rennlister it would be good to know on here.I sure hope it wasn't as that is NOT typical of members or at least paying members.It sounds to me like you have given him enough time to act.But...not knowing the whole situation you may have to wait it out a bit longer.Where are they located?..maybe a fellow Rennlist member can be of service...

Michael
Old 06-20-2003 | 10:44 AM
GOBOGIE
Budding Photographer
Rennlist Member

Just went through a similar experience where item took a little over a month (I think), but it was a smaller item and if I lost out on the deal the dollar amount was small enough that I didn't care.

I guess my opinion on buying things through the mail with either a MO or a check is don't do it with a large purchase no matter how good the deal. I'm pretty conservative on this issue but I just hear so many people getting ripped off these days and getting away with it.

To some it up, it depends on how much money you gave as to whether or not I'd call again. And you never know you may just write him off (as I did) and then come back from vacation to find the objects were mailed to you!

Hope you get what you paid for!
Old 06-20-2003 | 10:50 AM
Mark Hubley
Addict
Rennlist Member

Slinky--it was not an E-bay transaction.

Michael--the seller is (or at least was) a Rennlister. I haven't seen any posts from the person in quite some time. At this point I don't want to say anything more specific. I'm not to the point where I feel I have been wronged, and I hope to stay on friendly terms with the seller. The fact that the seller has not been active on Rennlist lately reinforces the idea that the seller is having legitimate problems that are keeping him otherwise occupied.
Old 06-20-2003 | 11:19 AM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

You need to call him again but try not to **** him off too much. You need him to put cardboard on the face of the wheels so the rims don't get too scratched in shipping.

If that fails, then I guess you file a fraud report with his local police. Probably won't do any good at all, though. Cops like to eat doughnuts, write speeding tickets and catch gun toting bank robbers. They just don't like nor understand white collar crimes. This may be changing a bit with the stock market & FleaBay crimes but I wouldn't hold out much hope in your case.
Old 06-20-2003 | 11:45 AM
Jay W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Sorry to hear you are having problems getting your new wheels for your car. I am the one that bought your old wheels and you did a great job getting them to me right away. I hope the person comes through and gets your wheels to you. What are you running on your car now because I have your old wheels and you dont have your new ones yer?
Old 06-20-2003 | 01:20 PM
Travis - sflraver
Site Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

If he has not been posting it does sound like it could just be some personal problems that have to get worked out before he can get back into the shipping/selling swing of things. I would give him a call again just to check in.

I always put shipping as a first priority because I know what it means when you order something at 5pm on a Friday and the shop can get it out that day and not have to wait until Monday. Even with this thinking I know that there still are a few things that hold precedence over shipping/customer service such as a death of a loved one or serious injury. For now I would just give him the benefit of the doubt because you would feel real bad if it were something more important taking up his time than the wheels.
Old 06-20-2003 | 01:36 PM
Sean
Drifting

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">I always put shipping as a first priority because I know what it means when you order something at 5pm on a Friday and the shop can get it out that day and not have to wait until Monday. </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">On this note, I received my ball joint rebuild kit yesterday - nice turnaround Travis! Very fast.

I recently placed an order from Paragon late on a Friday afternoon, and the parts arrived on Monday. I was very impressed.

With regard to the wheel issue, I would DEFINITELY call the seller again and discuss.

The squeaky wheel gets the grease. (Sorry, sorry...)
Old 06-20-2003 | 02:23 PM
Tremelune
Three Wheelin'

I dunno, man. A deal's a deal. It takes an hour to put wheels in a car, drive to Mailboxes, etc, pack 'em up proper and drop them in the mail.
Old 06-20-2003 | 05:29 PM
944togo
Instructor

Why don't you let us know who it is so others don't get ripped off. Hope it isn't initials C.T. form Stuttgartparthouse, because he recently ripped me off for over $160.

I deal allot with used auto parts, and if it's over a month and nothing has been shipped, something is definitely wrong.

Good luck!
944to go
Old 06-20-2003 | 05:47 PM
jim3
Instructor

If you want to remain friendly. Call him and say you've been patient, but are feeling very uncomfortable that you are being taken advantage of. "Can you ship the wheels tomorrow and call me with the tracking no?" If the answer is no. "Would you please refund my money and send UPS next day letter or 2nd day letter and call me with the tracking no.?" If the answer is no or you get delaying tactic answer or he doesn' give you tracking nos. etc., tell him you have no alternative but to go to post office and fill fraudulent use of US Mail charges, call the local police and file complaint with the attorney general, and any other agencies you can think of and then follow through on your threat. It's a shame, I sold 20+ items and bought 20+ items from rennlisters and always had good experiences.
Old 06-20-2003 | 05:48 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I just bought seats from a board member. when wwe spoke he said he would send them out in a week. i wired him the money right after we spoke, and he shipped them out in a week just like he said. when there was a potential problem he e mailed me, and gave me the option to exit the deal.

One seat was delivered today, and the other one shipped is in new jersey. the first scan was at the same time/same place. go figure!

I think posters on the board are as a general rule up front and honest. the board smokes out the rats pretty fast and pretty loud. call him up, and give him a chance before smoking him out.

BTW, Thanks Stephen!
Old 06-20-2003 | 06:00 PM
jason952
Addict
Rennlist Member

Call the guy out...
Old 06-20-2003 | 06:11 PM
zehnd
Addict
Rennlist Member

I recently purchased a set of wheels from a Rennlister. After him receiving the MO it took only one week from Washington State to Saskatchewan, Canada. That was with going through Customs as well.

I'm sorry you are having troubles.

Tom you are right, this board would toss the rats fast.

Quick Reply: I sent $ for wheels, but received no wheels. Advice?