Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The "I Hate My P.O. Thread"

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 12:56 AM
Chads996
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by alex
wow... just... wow.
Tell me about it. You can't fix stupid.
Old 08-22-2008, 01:20 AM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 287 Posts

Mine wired a toggle switch into the glove box to bypass a broken a/c snowflake swich, using wire cut from a household extension cord.
Old 08-22-2008, 01:22 AM
vro944om
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom M'Guinn
Mine wired a toggle switch into the glove box to bypass a broken a/c snowflake swich, using wire cut from a household extension cord.

did you happen to buy this car at a trailer park?
Old 08-22-2008, 02:51 AM
CarbonRevo
Drifting

My recent purchase (1987 Black/Black Turbo) wasn't a bad purchase. The PO I bought it from had it for a year and didn't do anything to the car. Drove it about 2,000 miles. However, I don't think he changed the oil, antifreeze or LSD Trans fluid during that time. That's my only gripe.

The PO before him (A lister- Johnny1423) did a good job with the car. I'm pleasantly surprised. The car has had work done, was a very clean car that just needed the dust knocked off and a fresh wax. He did some nice upgrades to the car (lloyds mats, 993 Cup II's, turbo sills and shifter ****). However, did authority chip it, LBE as well. Other then that, car was fairly stock, and even had the cargo cover in working order!

I don't know which PO of my car it was (I'm the 5th owner I believe), they had replaced the front bumper cover and rear valence. I don't know why, but they are both red underneath the black. The car has no wreck damage ANYWHERE. I don't know if it was an early thing (within first couple years) or what. The paint matches very well, and has all faded the same way. I bought the car under the conditions that it was all original paint...

I give the car an A- overall.
Old 08-22-2008, 10:13 AM
aeshultz
Burning Brakes

The guy I bought mine from had the heat stuck full on. In the middle of summer. Didn't know how to find the heater valve by the firewall and manually turn it off.
Had the most craptacular alignment I'd ever seen - almost undrivable.
And he was an engineer for one of the Big Three Detroit automakers. Go figure.
Old 08-22-2008, 10:38 AM
Spidey944
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My only complaint is the hand-written, no phone #, no paint color reciept I found for the paint job. Talk about making it impossible to do touch-ups.... Oh yeah, and the reciept I found from 4 years ago for some $15 engine mounts. WTF?? Who even MAKES a $15 engine mount???
Old 08-22-2008, 10:44 AM
ritzblitz
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

LOL $15 engine mounts...

My PO was ok although he had the front sport suspension replaced with non adjustable struts...
Old 08-22-2008, 11:01 AM
CurtP
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I wouldn't even know where to start. The PO is a saleshole, so basically EVERYTHING he told me about the car was a lie. He fk'd me coming and going - including marking the title as unknown mileage (even though he claimed he knew EXACTLY how many miles was on it), not disclosing that there was a dash fire, very little documentation (and he was the second owner). Original wiring harnesses completely hacked up, horrible aftermarket radio install, leaking braided fuel lines, bad clutch, half of the bolts/screws were missing out of just about EVERYTHING, A/C compressor burnt up (he said it just needed a recharge) etc etc etc etc etc...

Live and learn I guess. It was an emotional purchase and I didn't think it through. I don't regret buying the car, but I do regret what I paid for it!
Old 08-23-2008, 11:10 PM
fbgh2o
Odd Posts
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 27 Posts

I guess that I am bit of an anomaly. PO was a good guy and we keep in touch as he has an interest in the car. Had all of the records, except for a period in the mid-1990 (when I think the car was repainted). Was really accommodating in helping me ship the car to Canada and forthcoming on what he had done to the car and what need to be done... Only problem was that he only put 5K miles on the car in 8 years and as a result stuff continues to need to be done to bring it back to life.
Old 08-23-2008, 11:46 PM
alex
Almost Addicted
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I forgot about a few things when I said the PO didn't do anything in that other thread. My car has been "jacked up" in some very idiotic places. Bottom/back of the rear wheel arch on the quarter panel, bottom of front fender, etc. The one on the quarter is particularly aggravating because its not like those are easy to swap out like the fender.
Old 08-25-2008, 10:18 PM
tailpipe
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

got to love the POs of my 5 porsches 4 928s and a 77 924 all were rescues 2 came home on a tow truck the other three had to be trailered i love the POs cause they were to dumb to keep them up and now i have the joy of rescueing them i have 4 on the road one 928 is to badly damaaged to be brough back the car is actually bent in the middle doors wont close but it does run and drive so will be a great parts car the worst thing i can say is the one PO of my red 79 928s euro yes thats an s euro was that he was using it as his WINTER car untill the clutch puked and he parked only to use it as storage for 2 yrs lol
Old 08-26-2008, 12:48 AM
bad_monkey
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

PO.. or somebody... replaced the carpet in a car with a brown interior and linen seats with black nylon carpet offcuts. The seat rail mounts are broken and patched poorly, the stereo wiring is all snarled up, the headlight washers aren't hooked up - the washer motor isn't there but everything else is, at some stage someone decided to buff the car back and hit it with more clearcoat but didn't take off the mouldings, drip rails, or stoneguards first, '89 engine with '84 DME and AFM, rear window demister was mysteriously not connected and the connector was left bare(!), the front brake rotors had about two hairs left in them and were deeply scored, one wheel was out of round, the horn button had stopped working so he had added a button under the dash, oh and nothing rubber had ever been replaced on the car. In 23 years.

In his favour, he had replaced the clutch with a spring centre one (killed it doing "skids") and he had slotted in the '89 engine... it all just needed a lot of tidying up.

But come on - what's the point in a hobby car that runs all the time?
Old 08-26-2008, 12:54 AM
BlueRiver86
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'll just say that my PO wasn't exactly a sharpshooter when it came to aiming the jack under the car.
Old 08-26-2008, 02:33 AM
Po924S
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love my PO. He took very good care of the car, and spent like 10 grand into it before selling it to me for 2500. I herd he has like 6 911's, collects them or something. Track's a couple of them too I think.
Old 08-26-2008, 02:49 AM
Will Feather
Three Wheelin'

My P.O. wasnt too bad. No records at all however, so I belive I'm more lucky than anything. The car was in great shape but overheated on the way home He was nice however and changed the T-stat to fix the overheating problem to the hover around the 3rd line problem. I fixed that however with a new radiator. Other than that I am on borrowed time since I still have not replaced the timing belt...

Quick Reply: The "I Hate My P.O. Thread"