Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Street racing - controversy - young Vs old???

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2003, 06:36 PM
P944forScott
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Street racing - controversy - young Vs old???

Okay a few recent post rubbed me the wrong way so I want to vent and stir the sheet as it were.

One person recently posted how his 951 kicked a$$ in some local street racing, and then commented "they should have a street racing board here But they won't do it because there are too many old people."

On a recent thread regarding (yet another) new 944 intake it was proposed that "street racing is not a crime"

I suppose holding up a bank is not a crime if that is what you and your friends like to do.

Are there any young people out there (say under twenty five or so) that think street racing is a bad thing?
Old 06-19-2003, 06:37 PM
iloveporsches
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
17 here, and I think it's idiotic.
Old 06-19-2003, 06:43 PM
'86 944 turbo
Burning Brakes

I'm 23 and yes street racing is a bad thing. But sometimes when your broke and hungry you have to do it you have no choice.
Old 06-19-2003, 06:46 PM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
19 and I think its stupid when there's lots of cars around. However, on a deserted highway when the only lives at risk are your own, I dont have too much of a problem with it.

I'm usually in the middle ground on the controversial issues.

Thats not to say I've never been stupid...I think we've all been stupid at least a few times in our lives...
Old 06-19-2003, 06:46 PM
Dan Gallagher
Drifting

i turned 19 this month, 18 when i bought my first porsche.

i am the one who posted that "not a crime" image with the purpose of flaming the person who made it, i think we know how i feel about the subject

it has nothing to do with age though, older guys race too. the only difference between a teenage street racer and a middle age one is that the older guy generally has a nicer car wrapped around a tree on the news.
Old 06-19-2003, 06:49 PM
Jonas Goldsmith
Three Wheelin'

19 here and personally I do not enjoy nor encourage it... I think its idiotic and moronic... In san diego its just not worth the risk... there was a bill just passed here saying that you can be arrested and get up to 6 months in jail now, just for watching.... definately not worth it.... I don't see why people do it... especailly with cars like ours? Don't they understand that they were designed for an autocross track if anything? well whatever... to each his own i suppose....
Old 06-19-2003, 06:50 PM
'86 944 turbo
Burning Brakes

True Dan, It's the older people wanting to race me not the young G's I can't let an older person punk me like that.
Old 06-19-2003, 06:52 PM
jabbadeznuts
Race Car

I'm 17 and think that if you want to drag, go to the strip. If you want to hone your techical driving skills, go to a track. The street is NOT the place to dick arround.
Old 06-19-2003, 07:02 PM
Predator
Pro

OH ****...my car's older that all you guys!!!
Old 06-19-2003, 07:04 PM
Dan Gallagher
Drifting

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by adrial:
<strong>19 and I think its stupid when there's lots of cars around. However, on a deserted highway when the only lives at risk are your own, I dont have too much of a problem with it.

I'm usually in the middle ground on the controversial issues.

Thats not to say I've never been stupid...I think we've all been stupid at least a few times in our lives...</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">everyone has been on a wide open highway where you can see for a mile in each direction and given in if a guy in a 996 throws a downshift nexto you....

there is a difference between that once in a blue moon event and the kids who are racing between red lights on hempsted turnpike every night of the week (keep going about 2 miles east of nassau coliseum on that road at night).
Old 06-19-2003, 07:05 PM
Dan Gallagher
Drifting

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by Predator:
<strong>OH ****...my car's older that all you guys!!!</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">i was born in 84
Old 06-19-2003, 07:16 PM
Robert D
Three Wheelin'

I was born 83. Street racing is RETARDED. Yes I said it...and thats what my friend is now AFTER BEING INJURED in an accident 2yrs ago racing his Mustang. Even then, he was the one preaching "we should take this to the track" all the time...my other bud and he were having a friendly race too...

I wouldn't race on the street then, I surely won't ever now.
Old 06-19-2003, 07:17 PM
Mikey Mason
Racer

We don't have a real serious problem with street racers in out area...but for those that do I have a suggestion.Why don't you stop in at your local EMS/FIRE Dept. and ask to volunteer.It will not take you long if you are in an area that does have street racing problems to let you get a good glimpse of what can happen...regardless of age..and driver skills.Lets see how much of a man you are when you go to a scene and have to "collect" pieces of a human body.There is a time and place for all things.My son Mikey is only 16...and knows the public road is not for that.We "ole timers" are not perfect...just a tad wiser..(sometimes.. ).Time has a way of educating you..for some it arrives too late, for others they are smart enough to learn the lesson others have paid for with their lives.

Michael(Ole Dad) & Mikey
Old 06-19-2003, 07:19 PM
P944forScott
Racer

I suppose I should qualify that I am no saint, I have been known to exceed the speed limit. However in a racing situation, adrenaline, competition, one-upping, often over ride common sense then things get out of control...
then people get hurt or killed.
And certainly there are many A-holes over thirty years old.
I guess what ticked me off was the insinuation that only people up in years are anti street racing.
Old 06-19-2003, 07:26 PM
p0wp0w
Pro

I am 16,
I really think that it is a stupid thing to do, ESPECIALLY the people weaving in and out of traffic on the highway....I mean noone around and clear road everywhere maybe. But knowing my age and what I drive, if a cop gets me I'd be screwed for life and even worse if I was in an accident.

Quick Reply: Street racing - controversy - young Vs old???