Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Street racing - controversy - young Vs old???

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2003, 03:37 AM
ryans
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You take the risk you pay the price. Here is a windows media file for anyone interested.

<a href="http://www.sromagazine.com/movies/911.wmv" target="_blank">http://www.sromagazine.com/movies/911.wmv</a>
Old 06-20-2003, 04:12 AM
hoffman912
The Hoffinator
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts
personally, the street was ment for transpertation, and the track was meant for racing PERIOD!
we all have posrches, and we all speed some times.. its like masturbation, every one does it, so get over that point.

as far as having rich mommies or daddies..
no. my dad worked 2 full time jobs to pay my way to go to a good prep school. i have to pay my way through college.

as far as my porsche.. i payed half, my dad payed half. 5,500, in 1997. instead of leasing a honda like most kids my age and in high school do, i chose to get a good solid vintage porsche, and to buy a beeter to go around town in.. the beeter.. an 82 bmw 320i that cost 1200. i will buy out my dad in the next year, although i will have to pay about 5000.. as the car had nearly doubled in value, since we bought it 5 years ago.
my car is 12 years older than me (im almost 23). my parents were only 16 when it was made. personally i think that adds to how cool it is!

back to street racing.. its dumb, childish, and is like playing russian rulette.. you will eventually get into some serious trouble or ieven worse, a serious accident. (yes this happens opn the track as wwll.. but tracks have safty regulations.. streets do not. tracks are well groomed and prepared.. streets are not.. tracks have run off areas on some parts.. streets never do. streets have innocent bystanders around, next to the street, tracks do not.
Old 06-20-2003, 04:18 AM
Dan Gallagher
Drifting

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by Techno Duck:
<strong> </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by Dan Gallagher:
there is a difference between that once in a blue moon event and the kids who are racing between red lights on hempsted turnpike every night of the week (keep going about 2 miles east of nassau coliseum on that road at night).</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">I know exactly where you are talking about. Ill be honest, i took my 1967 Mustang out their one nice summer night...just noone would race me. [/QB]</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">i spent the summer before i got my licence riding passenger every night in all my buddies muscle cars around there while they were racing. saw too many near crashes and banged up cars... almost got banged up myself a few times too. no more for me.

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by ryans:
<strong>During the 5 years i've been going to the street races I've seen 1 minor fender bender.
</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">during the couple of months i was hanging out with that crowd i saw people do idiotic things and damage too many cars to count.
btw are you saying that all those ricer race crash videos on the internet are fake?

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by ryans:
<strong>I know for a fact that most of you that are saying "I hate it etc" have street raced before.
</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">read above. been there, done that, met those cops. not again.

<strong>
Dan you don't know me, so if you want to chat i'm more than willing. Don't sterotype me.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">If i am the dan you are talking about dont forget before i brought up the issue on the other thread i said i was sorry if i was being unfair but your obvious involvement with street racing makes me read everything you say with a certain attitude. it makes me think "*******" over and over while i look at a picture that you post because it has that street racing online logo.

Its kind of like when you are in highschool, if you are standing outside with your friends and they are all smoking pot, you are getting detention too weather you were participating or not... nothing against you just the image you project. and you can see by the size of this thread (and a million like it in the archives) that most of the people on rennlist arent into that scene which is why most bmw forums have a street races / kills section but we dont.

<strong>You take the risk you pay the price. Here is a windows media file for anyone interested.

<a href="http://www.sromagazine.com/movies/911.wmv" target="_blank">http://www.sromagazine.com/movies/911.wmv</a></strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">if street racing is not a crime why do i see a cop car chasing that guy at the end of his race?
Old 06-20-2003, 11:07 AM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by v944god:
<strong>I hate when people bring up the track when it comes down to racing and what not. The track doesn't show crap. Just because you track your car it doesnt mean you can outdrive, outhandle other drivers. We're all human, so when something happens people react in different ways. </strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Sorry V944god, but you are full of crap. What you state is such a crock of ****, it has made me write **** for the first time ever on this board! YOU DON'T KNOW JACK! Next time you make claims like that, you better have some documentation to back it up.
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">badcoupe:
<strong>I know most of you won't agree with me but hey my choice I don't care if I die at least I'll be having fun!!!!</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Badcoupe: Try sky-diving without a parachute instead: less chance of killing someone besides yourself.

The last street racing thread (Chaulk another up up for the 951..) I purposely avoided. All too often I try to state something like, "Please don't street race," and it turns into a pissing match between the 'racer boyz' and the 'old farts.'

That said, here are some points I'd like to make now:

1. Regarding a street racing / kills forum: If that EVER occurs here, not only will I forfit my rennlist membership, but I will personally make sure that law enforement agencies across the country know about it's existence. Yes, I will tell every cop where they can find you punks. And if you think I'm being an a$$ if I do that, just BITE ME!

2. I've said this before, and I'll say it again: streets are public. I don't care how much you think a road is desserted, since it is public, you CANNOT guarantee 100% that no innocent person will wander onto your race. Heck: I've seen drivers wander onto autox courses! Only closed circuit tracks guarantee that no other cars on on the track besides those who are supposed to be there.

3. Accidents happen on the track, but there are more fatal street race accidents! You see, people who drive on the track typically use safety gear: helmets, harnesses, roll bars...etc, so they are prepared if things go wrong. But apparently, street racers would probably laugh if you strapped on a Bell helmet on before you hit your boost: wearing helmets are for sissies, I suppose.

4. Yes, I get pissed about street racing, and yes, my panties ARE bunched up. AND YES: I'll be IN YOUR FACE about this stuff. Want me to stop ranting? Well, I've got a deal for you: stop street racing, and I'll stop getting in your face!

5. I have offered many times here to PAY the fee for a street racer to try out a sanctioned drag race or an autocross. I have yet to be taken up on the offer. Probably becuase you street racers are wussies to try racing for real.

6. I have driven over the speed limit: I do often. (5-10mph over, typically). Doing that and street racing are totally different, so don't even try to defend street racing by saying that we all speed. You know there is a difference: if you don't then you're not street racing.

badcoupe & v944god: you give 944 ownership a bad name. Ignorant, cocky people don't deserve such a car. Badcoupe you 'earned' $2300 for street racing: is that supposed to impress me? My monthly bills are more than 3x's that! $2300? Whoopde-freakin-doo!

Well, thanks for reading. Now, where's my blood pressure medicine?!?

-Zoltan. (35 yr old fart)
Old 06-20-2003, 11:42 AM
eugene
Racer

There are absolutely no reasons/rationalizations
that can justify " street racing " no matter how hard anyone tries to.

Eugene.
Old 06-20-2003, 11:51 AM
slinky
Burning Brakes

As others have said, it's not just kids who race. A couple weekends ago there was a Street Rod gathering in York, PA. Most people who are into those cars are older. They had police lined up and down the highway to keep these guys from racing. Evidently, it's been a problem in the past.

By the way, I'm 26. And I think racing is stupid. I never do it. I'm driving a Porsche. What do I have to prove to anybody?
Old 06-20-2003, 12:10 PM
jjmson20
Addict
Rennlist Member

i agree slinky what do we have to prove?? after fast and furious 1 came out, there was a terrible crash by me involving a corvette and diablo. If you drive a diablo what the hell do you have to prove to anyone?? i beleive the driver was killed and also the family of 4 in a volvo passing by in the other lane were all killed. I'm 24 , racing light to light proves nothing, and ive put too much into this car to have anything bad happen to it.
Old 06-20-2003, 12:13 PM
slinky
Burning Brakes

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by jjmson20:
<strong>ive put too much into this car to have anything bad happen to it.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">EXCELLENT point!
Old 06-20-2003, 12:32 PM
Robert D
Three Wheelin'

Z- I totally agree, even if you're an old fart . I do not and will not ever race on the street. As I mentioned before, I saw two friends get into an accident having a 'friendly' competition. One of them is now permanently 'retarded' as a result. He used to be, what I considered, the brighter of the guys I knew with fast cars. He was the one telling the others to go to the track, he even organized a car club for high schoolers where they went to the drag track once a week. Now, he can't even drive, maybe won't ever again.

RACING ON THE STREET IS DUMB.

(the young 19yr old fart, who wants to live to be an old fart )
Old 06-20-2003, 12:41 PM
marky522
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just thought i would point something out, when you guys say "Racing in the middle of nowhere" Around where i live those would be the EXACT streets that my wife, and my 1 year old drive on for at least 2 hours a day, in the morning and at night, this isnt really directed at anyone but Street racing really strikes a nerve, If someone hit and injured/Killed either my wife or son and they werent dead they sure the h#ll would wish they were.... Its stupid, i think that whoever said "If i die at least i'll be having fun" I'll jsut say i wish that the darwin effect was still around, cause i dont think that comment would be here if so. Now, i do want to point out on thing, i say all this, nad i am definately far from being a saint, i drive fast, normally 5 over, i am not claiming to be a saint, what i am saying is STREET RACING STUPID, I also want to add i agree with ths street racing = small dicks.

Mark

Oh yeah, I'm only 20
Old 06-20-2003, 12:53 PM
Robert D
Three Wheelin'

Agreed once again. Sad thing is I doubt a thread on Rennlist will change the minds of some of these people. It is unfortunately most likely, the only way to affect their mindset is for something to happen to them or their friends like what happened to mine. The crowd with 'fast' cars in high school, ALL stopped racing on the streets (as far as I know) after this happened.

Good luck to you and those you may injure while risking lives and breaking the law. May your Porsche rest in peace, and may the lord have mercy on your soul for INTENTIONALLY putting lives at risk. As well as the life of a better-deserving automobile.
Old 06-20-2003, 12:53 PM
iloveporsches
Race Director

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by jjmson20:
<strong>i agree slinky what do we have to prove?? after fast and furious 1 came out, there was a terrible crash by me involving a corvette and diablo. If you drive a diablo what the hell do you have to prove to anyone?? i beleive the driver was killed and also the family of 4 in a volvo passing by in the other lane were all killed. I'm 24 , racing light to light proves nothing, and ive put too much into this car to have anything bad happen to it.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">I remember that story from a while back, terrible. Now let me share two of my own.....

This past year 5 kids from my highschool died in car accidents, and two of them were my friends. One incident involved 4 teens in a Firebird doing 120+ over this hilly road near me. Their car went airborn, landed, and lost control. They slammed into a tree, the car exploded, and three of them were killed instantly. Luckily, one of the neighbors managed to pull one kid out. This was during a street race, and it's happened before on this road.

The one involving my friends wasn't a street race, but it involved inexperienced/wreckless driving at speeds completely inappropriate for that road. The driver was doing an estimated 50 mph, almost hit a mailbox, swerved, slid into a boulder, flipped the car airborn and wrapped it around a tree. My two friends were killed instantly, the driver was injured pretty bad and the passenger is still recovering...this accident was in March. Their funeral/ wake was the hardest thing I've had to do in my life, and just thinking about it now.......

Aside from pointing out the ack of driver's education in America, both these accidents involved drivers encountering circumstances that they didn't know how to control and driving well beyond their limits. First, going to the track teaches you your limits in the safest manner possible, and greatly improves your ability to handle your car. Second, in a racing environment, you're more likely to encounter slides, skids, locked up brakes, etc. and you learn how to handle the various situations and how to get the car back under control.

If you want to die having fun, go drive your car off a cliff, that way you won't hurt anyone else.

STREET RACING IS DUMB, AND STREET RACERS ARE DUMBER!
Old 06-20-2003, 01:03 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Ok, FOUR more quick notes:

There are no mailboxes/trees/ditches right next the the road on a racetrack. Cars often spin out of control, and more often then not they can easily get back on the track without any damage. (It's called plenty of run off). This is not the case for street racing, where often the streets are lined with people, cars, telephone poles...etc.

I too agree that people who street race probably have smaller units than the average male squirrel.

I wonder why the street racers aren't responding to these comments... Maybe badcoupe's out earning another $2300.00, or something. Or maybe they know they don't have a case for their side.

Street racers say, "Hey, street racing is fun: that's why I do it." Well, I think it is fun to shoot street racers in the head with a shotgun. So, if you want to have fun, then let me have my fun too.

Have a nice day.
-Z-man.
Old 06-20-2003, 01:10 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Ok, another point:
I'm a youth group counselor at my church. The teenagers know I'm into cars. About four of the teens and I were talking last night and one of the newer kids who just got a new Mustang GT was wondering about my harnesses. I explained my involvement with PCA & DE. They wanted to know what was required for them to do the same thing, and after discussing the basics, they said, "We definately gotta try this DE stuff!"

I had to follow two of them home from church: the second car (Buick sedan) was flashing his lights at the GT when he felt the GT was going too slow. But the GT driver did not speed up. Lo and behold, not 30 seconds later, a cop passes them going the opposite direction.

John, the driver of the GT had a good head about him, and didn't let a little peer pressure get to him.

Don't let peer pressure get the best of you.
-Z.
Old 06-20-2003, 01:11 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Calling it street racing is too kind. It's drag racing on the street, and it's a waste of our car's abilities.

Anyone who's been on a track understands the skill that's required. To say those skills aren't transferrable to the road is total bs. I think we have a new amaf. Stay tuned.

btw, some moron in a Camry tried to race me this week. I launched kind of hard and then hit the brakes right away. I wonder of the guy thought he'd blown me away when all of a sudden he was a lock ahead of me?

Quick Reply: Street racing - controversy - young Vs old???