Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

UPS Rant - High Fees

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 08:57 PM
76 911s
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

UPS is horrible to Canada. DHL doesn't bend us over nearly as far, so I always ask to either ship DHL or USPS.
Old 08-19-2008, 12:08 AM
Marcquito
No, not Mosquito!
Rennlist Member

Location: Gliese 581g | Monte-Carlo, Côte d’Azur, La Planète Terre

USPS CAN SUCK A ****. I HATE THEM! CONSTANT SCREW-HOLES!

*rant over*

Ups is next in line for suckage.

Then FedEx.

I should deliver my items by horse.
Old 08-19-2008, 04:18 AM
Zero10
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

UPS is terrible for brokerage fees, FedEx is 75% as terrible, but there are ways around this. No, the answer isn't to refuse the fees after shipping FedEx and make the shipper pay them, that is just bloody cruel, and the shipper will hate you / charge you for this.

USPS is terrible at shipping quickly and for accurately tracking your package, but if you insure the package you are almost always safe.
If you would like your package quickly, here's the big secret, SHIP AIR. When shipping by any 'expedited' or 'express' (read, AIR) options brokerage is included in the shipping cost. This typically means you get your item faster and pay less. Don't ask me why they do it this way, but when people insist to ship UPS I make them ship expedited. I get my parts in 2-3 days, pay a bit more upfront ($20-$30) but don't pay $50-$100 later. Good deal for me, should work for you, YMMV.
Old 08-19-2008, 07:46 AM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Weird, I ship everything USPS. UPS ground is very slow from what i'venoticed, and USPS priority mail is about the same price and I very rarely see it take more than 2 days.
Old 08-19-2008, 12:07 PM
Marcquito
No, not Mosquito!
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by yieldsign2
Weird, I ship everything USPS. UPS ground is very slow from what i'venoticed, and USPS priority mail is about the same price and I very rarely see it take more than 2 days.
USPS sucks. I shipped a package earlier this month on the 1st and it was traveling within the state and only going 150 miles away. It took them 10 days to deliver it with no success of updating tracking information. Inside the package I had a check along with an application fee to an apartment. It ruined my life for over a week and pissed everyone off involved in the deal. Not to mention every time I get something in the mail from them it's ****ing ruined. I should have used FedEx. I'll never use USPS again. Ever. Period.
Old 08-19-2008, 12:12 PM
Spidey944
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

^^ Tell us how you REALLY feel!!
Old 08-19-2008, 12:14 PM
Marcquito
No, not Mosquito!
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Spidey944
^^ Tell us how you REALLY feel!!
I feel sad. :[
Old 08-19-2008, 03:00 PM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What service of USPS did you use to ship? If you are shipping something that important I would make sure to use tracking, insurance, and an expedited service. In general, basic USPS tracking that is included with purchase automatically with priority, is just a notice of arrival, not of its trip to you.
Old 08-19-2008, 03:06 PM
Marcquito
No, not Mosquito!
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by yieldsign2
What service of USPS did you use to ship? If you are shipping something that important I would make sure to use tracking, insurance, and an expedited service. In general, basic USPS tracking that is included with purchase automatically with priority, is just a notice of arrival, not of its trip to you.
I was aware of the importance and paid for the above mentioned. They screwed up. They did refund my money after not handling my shipment properly.
Old 08-19-2008, 11:00 PM
Red!
Advanced

Originally Posted by gina.kane
If the supplier is willing to mark the value at $50 or less and mark the customs form as 'Gift', then no brokerage, customs or duties are paid.
That doesn't work, a gift has to be under $20, and can be opened and inspected, which is likely it will be if the sender is a store - the receiver can be charged with customs fraud, which results in being searched every time they return to Canada - not really a good way to save a few bucks on Brokerage.

I hate UPS because shippers (Americans) tend to think "UPS ground", and are ignorant about other countries and their issues. They sometimes don't even offer the option of "expedited" which costs $20-30 more and saves $50 in brokerage plus 7 days in waiting - Its happened soooo many times to me - PITA!

I prefer FEDEX, you just don't suffer as badly, or USPS, slow but free and cheap!
Old 08-20-2008, 04:24 AM
marksportcts
Burning Brakes

UPS, like all the other shippers, use a local (Canadian) broker to determine how much in Canadian duties and taxes to charge you on goods you import. The fee includes your local duties and taxes plus the broker fee.

This is nothing unusual and not a fault of Linsey or UPS, it's just one of the pitfalls of importing stuff.
Not true. UPS has their own inhouse brokerage service. I called inquiring about cross border shipping and was transferred to their brokerage staff. There is duties, federal and if applicable, provincial tax, brokerage fees and Bond Fees. They told me that brokerage fees is waived if I send the package using an expre$$/expedited service. Either way they gouge you.
Old 08-20-2008, 09:24 AM
Red!
Advanced

Angry

^^^^ What He Said!!!!

The $40-80 is strictly a "brokerage fee" they charge duties, taxes, etc. ON TOP of that - the fact the other poster thinks otherwise only goes to prove the point - Americans have no idea so they actually screw you out of ignorance half the time!

I've experienced it so many times, where I ask them to send it expre$$ and they end up doing me a "favor" and shipping it cheaper - costing me $40 on a $25 item!
Old 08-20-2008, 10:58 AM
The DareDevil
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

^ Yup, the brokerage fee was on top of everything else.... PLUS I was charged GST+PST on the brokerage fee.
Old 08-21-2008, 06:27 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

UPS, like all the other shippers, use a local (Canadian) broker to determine how much in Canadian duties and taxes to charge you on goods you import. The fee includes your local duties and taxes plus the broker fee.

This is nothing unusual and not a fault of Linsey or UPS, it's just one of the pitfalls of importing stuff.
USPS doesn't need to use a broker, I guess because they are a government agency or something. I only do business with companies that will ship USPS, unless it's a large order and the price is right.

Most of them can't be bothered taking the order to a Post Office I guess, UPS picks up at theor door.
Old 08-21-2008, 08:08 PM
DarylJ
Three Wheelin'

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Chads996
Agree 100%. That's why I use FedEx Ground. Almost 20-30% cheaper at times.

C.
FedEX Ground is hit and miss. They are locally/regionally owned contractors for FedEX. The ones around here are morons. The "real" FedEX drivers have no problems finding addresses I'm at and getting things to me on time, nor does UPS. It has proven to be too much for FedEX ground.

Their latest stunt was to leave a $5800 Dell server 2 towns away along with someone else's order of Dell servers. The driver just figured every box in his truck that said Dell on it went to the same place.

Quick Reply: UPS Rant - High Fees