Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help! Puddle of Oil!

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2008, 10:58 PM
xcessiv
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help! Puddle of Oil!

Greetings,

The full story. I bought this car from my then girlfriend, not long afterward the water pump went, I had a shop do the work becuase I just didn't have the time. The shop did not change the timing belt and I did not know how old it was, in addition, I (perhaps irrationally) did no like the look of the coolant and srmised the head gasket need changed as well. I did this work with a friend, used the Krikit tool to do the belt tension and was ulitmately comfortable with it. A few months later, I was away and My girlfriend started the car to move it and it leaked oil all over the placeafter it had been running a few minutes.

I put the car up, driained the rst of the oil, took the whole frint end apart to see if I could see where it came from. I could find nothing. I filled the oil, cranked the motor by hand. Put it back togethet, cranked it by hand som more, and saw no leaks.

It did sit for a long time, without any attention.

Once I cranked it in earnest, it seemd to crank fine then it would suddenly stop, all of the lights woul dim, like the load on the starter baecame really great. I did not hear any kind of sound from the crank case though, it was sort of like whir, whir whrrrrrrrr, whir whir. But not like a low battery, I feel sure the slowdown was due to some kind of great resistance, not weak battery, but I could be wrong for sure.

After a few cranks like this I heard a small pop sound and heard fluid hitting the garage floor. I got out of the car and saw a puddle of oil under the car, under the power steering pump. Interestingly, this oil seemd kind of old, and as I mentioned, the car had been drained and the oil on the dipdtick looked brand new.

Any insight is appreciated and thanks for reading this whole thing.
Old 08-17-2008, 04:49 PM
Calmchaos
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you heard the fluid hit the floor after a popping noise I would think there would be an obvious source of the leak.

But that being said your story is definitely a new one to me...
Did your oil filter blow up? LOL. Strange.........
Old 08-17-2008, 05:21 PM
billthe3
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Was it oil under the car, or really dirty ATF that could have come from the power steering system? You could have overtightened the power steering belt and caused the pump to fail in some way, or the pump could have failed internally on its own - but if the pump was locked up and the belt was tight I would bet that would prevent the engine from cranking over.
Old 08-20-2008, 10:20 PM
xcessiv
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Thanks for the responses

I am not sure, now that you mention it , whether it was ATF or oil. I jumped to the conclusion because I got frustrated.

I will check it out.

Quick Reply: Help! Puddle of Oil!