Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How necessary are these unibody parts?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2008, 01:17 PM
CarbonRevo
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My response of why is a perfectly good response. I would know considering I found out how important those peices are on my S2 back at the end of March when I sent my S2 off a 8-10 foot embankment at about 25-30mph. The passenger side was bent up and pushed in, but I can only imagine what would have happened had they not been there.

As far as cutting this out. Again, why? From the time I have been around Spencer, I would say he does NOT have another vehicle, and that his 944 is, and will be his primary mode of transportation. Thus, asking...why would be a perfectly good question due to him living in California, where there is a ****load of traffic.

As far as mounting an intercooler there? I'm sorry, but that wouldn't be wise. It's a small space to fit one and will have very weird mounting configurations. I suggest looking at some of the 3L guys and their intercooler setups. A very large FMIC can be sat between the front rails where the stock 951 intercooler goes.

I actually hope he cuts the parts out, and then his car is wrecked. I say this because I know that he's been looking at fiberglass front ends, and now wants to cut this out? His car is going to be equivalant to a pop can meeting my foot. Those side peices are mounted to keep the frame rails straight and braced in the event of an accident. Without those, the rails will bend either way.

Why stop there? Let's just have another Campeck running around!

And to think, things like this are the main reason I steered VERY clear of the import seen. I could see a question like this being asked at a Honda forum, but here? Get real...
Old 08-12-2008, 01:26 PM
Johnny Johnny
Instructor

Amzazingly, said door does not appear anywhere in this pic.

Originally Posted by tifosiman
Don't let the door hit you on your way out.
Attached Images  
Old 08-12-2008, 01:28 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 645 Likes on 499 Posts

im sorry tifo, were you dropped as a child or were you always an *******?

anyways, theedge - i want to mount it in front of the radiator but the problem is with plumbing. i know i will have to cut my nose panel off to really get in there but id like to avoid that if possible, thats why i ask. im also contemplating a popup light delete as those weight savings will help reduce the difference the SC parts will make and give me considerably more space to work with. the main problem though is the area in the attachment;

i think i could remove the metal tab that the headlight usually secures to (left side of the radiator underneath the badge panel) and i could have a pipe running parallel to the radiator there then elbowing up towards the manifold but im not sure. i may also end up designing a new manifold to get a few more inches of space on the SC side.
Attached Images  
Old 08-12-2008, 01:35 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by V2Rocket_aka944
im sorry tifo, were you dropped as a child or were you always an *******?
I'm sorry, were you just born a post-***** that chimes in on every thread and posts about crap you don't know about? Did you learn how to give advice about things you know nothing about from your father? Could this be a study of nature verses nuture? Or breeding verses inbreeding?

What's wrong with saying "that poor car"? Cutting those sections out does not do it any good structuraly and will just kill any chance of it being a suitable car for any future owners. Hence my comment.

Amzazingly, said door does not appear anywhere in this pic.
I don't know quite what the reasoning was for you posting that damn picture that we have seen 1001 times on this list, but thanks for posting it anyway.
Old 08-12-2008, 01:36 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 298 Likes on 231 Posts

Spencer, have you considered the speed force racing set-up? I really don't know if it would be suitable for an na front end, but it does not require any cutting. [Details]

Mike
Old 08-12-2008, 01:37 PM
CarbonRevo
Drifting

Front end of my S2 after wreck. I had also beat the dent out some too. You can clearly see in the picture where the car is jacked up, what all these parts do.

The middel peices ties the rails together at the very front and adds a LOT of integrity (very strong box method used here). The side peices help keep the inner fender from flexing and stable. You can clearly see that, and if you can picture situations, look at everything that peice holds or is connected to...
Attached Images     
Old 08-12-2008, 01:39 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 645 Likes on 499 Posts

thank you revo, that is exactly what i was looking for.

gina - i want to do something like that but that car you pictured has the late style front chassis (more space for those pipes), my car is the early style and so there isn't very much room for piping to run through under the nose panel without cutting into something. it looks like at most i could get a 2" pipe through between the top of the radiator and the bottom of the nose panel.
Old 08-12-2008, 01:45 PM
CarbonRevo
Drifting

I have cut apart a front end and I can tell you that center peice is very strong and thick. Tons of peices in it too, all connected. It serves a huge purpose.

The sides may not be as vital (IF, you are building a strict track car), so long as you re-brace what you cut out with a smaller peice of steel or aluminum (1/2-1 inch bar stock, or tubing). Then again, why go through the hassel?

You say there isn't much room up front under the header panel, yet you want to cut the sides. The part in Gina's picture where the pipes run through...turbo guys have cut that out to some extent to fit pipes and had no ill effects. I'd much rather cut where my hood latches, then cut vital front end peices on a daily driver...

These cars are VERY strong (I can most certainly attest to that), and I can tell you...you don't want to compromise anything. Those side peices could have been the difference between my car being fixable and non fixable. Seriously.
Old 08-12-2008, 02:11 PM
Johnny Johnny
Instructor

Well, let's see...

As far as mounting an intercooler there? I'm sorry, but that wouldn't be wise. It's a small space to fit one and will have very weird mounting configurations.
VMIC with air exiting up through a large vent in the hood, or down under the engine, *might* offer benefits. Common configuration, and may be a good option here.

I actually hope he cuts the parts out, and then his car is wrecked.
Nice - that's the motoring spirit.

I say this because I know that he's been looking at fiberglass front ends, and now wants to cut this out? His car is going to be equivalant to a pop can meeting my foot. Those side peices are mounted to keep the frame rails straight and braced in the event of an accident. Without those, the rails will bend either way.
Hence my suggestions for bracing.

Why stop there? Let's just have another Campeck running around!
COOL - all for it!

And to think, things like this are the main reason I steered VERY clear of the import seen. I could see a question like this being asked at a Honda forum, but here? Get real...
Import scene??? Sorry, but chassis modification to fit different bodywork/drivetrains has been performed since bespoke car building and coachworks were around. I believe Honda has only been around since 1948. This is old hat for hotrodders/streetrodders/tuners/race car builders/name-your-builder. Just because it's a "Porsche", doesn't mean it's exempt from people wanting to modify it. If you want to keep your car factory-original, that's great - go for it. However, not everyone feels this way, and those people should not be derided for it.

I "resto-modded" a '64 Austin Healey 3000. Complete frame-off job, but put in a Chevy 383ci SB and Super T-10, along with modern seats and some other goodies. Went to an Austin Healey club meeting and got all kinds of flack. I then asked the room (about 40 owners) how many of their cars have every single bolt, nut, washer, glass, and rubber bit original from the factory - only one guy did (of course, the one guy who was most opposed to me being there). I suggested that he tell everyone else in the club to leave, since no one else's car was "original". Needless to say, he shut up - he would have been in a club of one.

The reality is, people change things on their cars. It might be it might be non-factory wipers, a different stereo, or it might be a diesel tank engine (hell, Leno Turbo'd and FI'd his car, too!). Whatever, get over it, have fun, and keep 'em on the road.
Old 08-12-2008, 02:16 PM
Johnny Johnny
Instructor

I'm sorry, were you just born a post-***** that chimes in on every thread and posts about crap you don't know about? Did you learn how to give advice about things you know nothing about from your father? Could this be a study of nature verses nuture? Or breeding verses inbreeding?
Umm, it's V2's thread to begin with!!!

I don't know quite what the reasoning was for you posting that damn picture that we have seen 1001 times on this list, but thanks for posting it anyway.
That's exactly my point, thanks for clarifying it.

Last edited by Johnny Johnny; 08-12-2008 at 02:17 PM. Reason: HTML tag change
Old 08-12-2008, 02:21 PM
Marcquito
No, not Mosquito!
Rennlist Member

Location: Gliese 581g | Monte-Carlo, Côte d’Azur, La Planète Terre

What's wrong with saying "that poor car"? Cutting those sections out does not do it any good structuraly and will just kill any chance of it being a suitable car for any future owners. Hence my comment.

Wow, he was right. You are an *******. Is there a way I can flag this as an offensive post? I am highly offended and want to cause trouble.
Old 08-12-2008, 02:27 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Marcquito
Wow, he was right. You are an *******. Is there a way I can flag this as an offensive post? I am highly offended and want to cause trouble.
Go right ahead and flag away. I'm not the one that started calling people a-holes. Be certain to flag Spencer, and yourself.
Old 08-12-2008, 02:38 PM
Johnny Johnny
Instructor

I see - what I change on my car is now supposed meet the needs and expectations of anyone else that might own the car in the future? Of course, they could just choose not to buy it....
Old 08-12-2008, 02:40 PM
CarbonRevo
Drifting

You miss the point about the import scene.

In my town, I can't even begin to count the number of ****ty rice burners running around in primer with big *** wings, hubcaps, and hacked on body kits. Spencer still hasn't shown a reason for cutting all of this out that is actually a GOOD idea. I could easily expect this from a crowd of ricers looking to shave weight or fit that ugly *** body kit on. But here? HERE?! No.

I figured Porsche would be a better dable. More high end, people have more brains. You can't exactly be a dimwit and work on a Porsche or even own one. Not only was it that, it was to seperate myself. However, it seems I haven't climbed high enough. Maybe I really do need to move to 911's, to farther seperate myself from things like this.

IMO, there are a LOT of hacked up and thrown together 944's on this board. Whether it be a 83 N/A or a 89TS. I've been very saddened by how the 944 crowd cares for their cars and what they deem acceptable. It just seems a lot of people rather have function, then form. I like to have my cake and eat it too. I'll take both before I take either or, and I'll work my *** off until I get both.

Look at my S2 pictures. I could have easily used aluminum stock to fix the front end and would have saved $300 dollars on buying a front end from Ohio. However, I didn't want a half assed car that's all chopped up and fu*ked over.

I just don't want to see yet ANOTHER 944 go the chopped up route. Far too many are present as is.

Rant over.
Old 08-12-2008, 02:41 PM
CarbonRevo
Drifting

Originally Posted by Johnny Johnny
I see - what I change on my car is now supposed meet the needs and expectations of anyone else that might own the car in the future? Of course, they could just choose not to buy it....
Yea, good luck finding a single person that WILL want to buy it. That's the point. He'll completely diminish everyone from possible purchase of that car, except for some kid that's younger and far more stupid.

Quick Reply: How necessary are these unibody parts?