Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

944 runs very hot

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 10:15 PM
Leonel_944
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Base on what I have learn in the shop when the temperture reaches the 3rd mark one the temperture gauge both fans should activate at high speed and should bring the temp down back to the frist markand turn off all this while the car is parked (at least all the cars i have work on)..... and also chemical flushes are bad for your oil cooler seals.... If i where you i would clean the terminals on your temperture sensor cause it may have accumilated to much corrosion and have a faulty conection but still never run your engine to that extrem are you may be facing some costly repairs... and make sure you bleed it until all the air is remove from the system.... you could also have a faulty fan swicth,or fans, and the thermostat might also be the problem hard to tell if the car is not in front of me.....hope this helps...
Old 08-13-2008, 10:27 PM
toddbailey
Intermediate

both fans turn on so it's not relays or temp switches. And the high speed fan turns on just as the gauge reaches the solid yellow blockI've bleed the system several times so that is out. I used a mild chemical flush that's safe for aluminium so no worries. I don't think the 83 944 has an external oil cooler, it it does I don't see one. Unless you mean the oil cooler for a automatic transmission, which I don't have. I suspect the thermostat but I'm going to try out 1/2 a bottle of water wetter for the rest of the week, and after reading the label use less antifreeze in the mix.
Old 08-13-2008, 10:43 PM
McLovin69
Advanced

Default THERMOSTAT

It sound a lot like your thermostat failed closed and the coolant isnt going through the radiator. its happened to me before. the temp raises as the engine warms up and the temp just keeps going up until its pegged.

The Thermostat when it fails will fail open or closed.

Pull it out of the water pump. if its closed put in a pot of water on the stove. before it comes to boil the thermostat should open. if it doesn't there is your problem and all it cost you was some time

btw the thermostat is only 13$ from autoatlanta. I am sure you can find it cheaper elsewhere.

watch the driving with it pegged. i'd hate to see you warp the head or something.
Attached Images  
Old 08-14-2008, 03:22 AM
darren1031
Advanced

I'll throw this idea out there...

Perhaps your gauge is wrong.

I had high temp issues. Replaced radiator, thermostat,
temperature sensor (DME and gauge), hoses, fan switch,
water pump, radiator cap. You name it, I replaced it.
(not all at once of course). Engine still runs "hot".
Mechanic confirmed with an infrared thermometer, that
engine was not hot. My gauge reads high.....I think.

Darren
'87 944S
Old 08-14-2008, 08:57 AM
F18Rep
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Any conversation on the 944 engine temps should include the idea of swapping to the lower temp thermostat and lower temp fan switch. I know this sounds like snake oil and I know engines wear faster at lower temps but I have to say that this little trick may be the best mod I have made to my cars. I've been running one of my cars all through this summer, commuting every day 80 miles with AC on most of the time; and my 944 acts just like any other car - steady readings, never above the first mark. No more worry in stop and go traffic, no more creeping needle, no more endless bleedings. I got the parts from Zims. Try it, you'll like it. Bruce
Old 08-14-2008, 01:05 PM
toddbailey
Intermediate

Wow a lot of information here.

I put in 1/2 a bottle on water wetter, thinking I was just wasting time and money (5$), and that a a product like this was just snake oil. But sure enough, the temp gauge read a noticible lower temp this morning during my commute. But I did have the heater on. Tonight will be the real test. It's supposed to be 90 during the drive home. So if the problem remains, I'll try out the new thermostat (180 degree) and see what happens. Porsche make great cars, but the electrics are a bit shakey at least in my vehicle. Ex: the fuel gauge nevers reads full, turn signals also trigger the front wiper at times, switches and relays are unplated copper...

I suspect that the gauge is inaccurate, I've had this problem for years. But time will tell.

Thanks for all the response
Old 08-14-2008, 01:06 PM
toddbailey
Intermediate

BTW: I've gotten used to running the heater during the summer months to assist in temp issues
Old 08-14-2008, 04:05 PM
Ben951S
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Damn todd, just get a laser thermometer... =)

water wetter actually does work... why not a full bottle?

Electrics = see Clarks garage about pulling the cluster and cleaning your footballs.
Old 08-14-2008, 07:53 PM
kearnyme
Track Day

I had overheating problems for quite a while, turns out a new radiator solved all my problems.

Because of the radiator being somewhat plugged, my cooling fans ran all the time after parking the car, and eventually wore out so I had to replace those too.

-Marcus
Old 08-14-2008, 08:56 PM
klamer
Intermediate

So from what I've read, in later model 944's 1 fan will activate if the AC is on, and the other will activate if the engine temp is around the 3rd mark on the temp gauge, is that right? I'm a new 944 owner and still learning about the car itself. Mine may have been running a little warm a week or so ago, but then again, it was something like 105 degrees that day.
Old 08-19-2008, 03:39 PM
toddbailey
Intermediate

This is rapidily a becoming as pain. flush and refill: no change, water wetter: marginable improvement
new theromostat: no change.

Next part to replace: fan switch (I'm going for the colder model since while the existing one does work the fans don't come on until engine temp gauge reads far to hot.)

BTW there is only the one fan switch mounted on the radiator ? right? any other water temp electronics I want to look into replacing?

thanks all
Old 08-19-2008, 03:45 PM
toddbailey
Intermediate

I really need to proof read before posting...

This is rapidily a becoming as pain. ? I mean this is rapidly becoming a pain.

BTW: Does any one know what the bad boys in Germany were thinking putting a maintanance part in a location where no human hand can go? I'm talking about the water cooling thermostat. And using a snap ring with the force to hold a large load in place is overkill. All my ring pliers weren't up to the task, I finally had to use a hammer and long screwdriver to force the snap ring out of the housing.
Last time I had sooooo much fun fixing a car was having to remove engine mounts to get at spark plugs.

Sheesh, what were they thinking?

Quick Reply: 944 runs very hot