Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power steering problem - help!

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2002, 06:38 AM
drsimon
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Power steering problem - help!

I took my 1988 Turbo S to my mechanic to change a power steering hose which was leaking. He changed the hoses from the reservoir as well as the reservoir itself. Now there's no more leak but I've totally lost power steering which was working perfectly before. The mechanic re-did everything to no avail and is totally flummoxed as to the cause. He swears all the hoses and pipes flush through well and the pump is working. Any ideas out there?
Old 04-23-2002, 09:25 AM
Jonathan Martini
Instructor

If the hose he replaced goes to the power steering pump there is one possibility I can think of. The connection between the hoses and the power steering pump are bolts with hollowed out cylinders in the middle. The threading is designed such that when they are bolted all the way down they are aligned correctly with the hose and fluid can flow. From doing mine recently I think it is possible to have the hose moved from its intended position and after everything is torqued down even have it stay that way.

I will say that this is a long shot, but its something that might happen with hose replacement.

Could you maybe give us some more information. Specifically when you say you have no power steering, does it make a grinding sound when you turn at slow speeds, does it take huge amounts of effort to turn, or is it extremely loose in the steering wheel with no turn at all in the wheels?

I don't think that last one is possible in our cars without something major going wrong.

If nothing else you might try bleeding the power steering one more time, if its just making a grinding sound.

Sorry I couldn't be more help.

--Jonathan
Old 04-24-2002, 02:45 AM
Dax951
Advanced

I'm also having trouble with my power steering. It doesn't seem to work at all. Originally, before I bought the car I had a presales inspection done, and the mechanic said the power steering pump probably needed to be replaced. They later found that the belt was loose and rubbing against a hose. They replaced the belt, but the steering was still very stiff. The mechanic said "these cars just have stiff steering."

Now it seems even stiffer (backing into my parking space requires two hands and a good deal of effort.) I took it back to the same mechanic and he agrees that it seems like the power steering probably isn't working fully. Though he doesn't want to do anything without "looking at it more closely" (read: charge me some more cash.)

Shouldn't this be immediately obvious to a trained mechanic? All my friends who drove the car thought it didn't have power steering. Is it just really underpowered or what?

Power steering pumps cost ~$250, not including installation. I don't want to go that route unless that's the problem, but it seems like that's the only real variable.
Old 04-24-2002, 06:39 AM
drsimon
Intermediate

Jonathan

Thanks for your post. "No power steering" means it now takes a great deal of effort to turn whereas before, I could turn the steering wheel with one finger.

I'll be taking my car to another Porsche mechanic for a second opinion. I have refused to pay the first until I get to the bottom of this.
Old 04-24-2002, 09:28 AM
TomH
Pro

drsimon, just curious what you paid for the hoses and resevoir to be installed by a mechanic. I did mine and it was pretty easy. Paid about $300 for the two hoses and resevoir.

As for your problem, have you noticed any loss of fluid? What about when the car is running and you look in the resevoir. Is it bubbling? When the car is running can you visually see the belt turning the pump's pully wheel? Sounds like one of two things: 1) pump has failed; 2) rack has failed. If its the rack, I would think you would see fluid leaking around the boots. If it were the pump I would think you would here noticeable whine from the pump.
Old 04-24-2002, 09:39 AM
Jonathan Martini
Instructor

Dax951,

Check your power steering fluid resevoir. If you have a slow leak the fluid can get low causing the steering to become stiff without necassarily being low enough to get air in the system. Air would cause that tell-tale grinding sound. The resevoir should be a little over half full when cold, maybe even more full.

To check for a leak you could also try this: take a few long sections of paper towel and place them from front tire to tire and another section or two in front of that. Don't get right next to the front tires. Start up the car and try turn the wheel lock to lock, maybe 5 or 6 times. Don't do this for more than say 15 seconds. If you want you can 30 seconds to 1 minute and repeat, but I think any major leaks will be evident fairly quickly. You do this test because even if you're leaking it might not leak unless it's under pressure.

If you have no leaks it is most likely your pump. The only other possibility I can think of is a blockage. If it is the hoses, maybe they can be flushed. If it is the power steering cooling line I'm not so optimistic. Some of those hoses aren't cheap either.

Got to go.

--Jonathan
Old 04-24-2002, 11:52 PM
Dax951
Advanced

Thanks John... the level of the power steering fluid checks out okay (the mechanic checked this too.) I don't think its leaking, but I might give your test a try. Also its not making any noises.

Definitly can't turn it with one finger (at low speeds at least.)

Guess it must be the pump, I will let the mechanic figure out the rest I guess.
Old 04-25-2002, 01:59 AM
Water944t
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You got one finger turning from your PS?

I can tell when my PS is low, (had a leak, now banished) and even when optimal, I dont get that kind of assist. I would hate to drive with that much feedback out of the system, to be honest. I have been considering a switch to a manual rack, just to get a little more steering wheel/tire slip feedback.

Are you maybe over-estimating the capabilities of the PS? Maybe comparing it to something else, like a Caddy?

Old 04-25-2002, 02:13 AM
Dax951
Advanced

I don't have a point of reference (this is the first 944 I've driven.) I was referring to this quote when I was talking about 1 finger steering:

[quote]Originally posted by drsimon:
<strong>Jonathan

Thanks for your post. "No power steering" means it now takes a great deal of effort to turn whereas before, I could turn the steering wheel with one finger.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Just trying to get stuff back to stock... if that's one finger steering, then I need it. Either way, my power steering is pretty much non-existant right now (I can't even use just one hand.)

Quick Reply: Power steering problem - help!