Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stereo questions...Amp location and 6x9s

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 05:01 PM
indyryder3x
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stereo questions...Amp location and 6x9s

Where are you mounting your amps? I wanted to put it in wheel well behind the rear wheels but im concerned about heat with the carpet that covers it.

So how many of you guys opted to get busy with the cut off wheel and install 6x9s in the rear speaker locations? was it worth it?

Here is the system I'll be installing
Alpine CDA-9884 deck
Alpine MRP-f300 amp (75w x 4 in 2ohm)
Infinity Kappa 692.7i 6x9 rear speakers
Infinity Kappa 462.7cfp 4x6 front plate speakers

I know it will sound good, I'm just trying to figure out my install. Also, should i leave the rear panel intact or cut it and mount the grill?
Old 08-04-2008, 05:17 PM
alex
Almost Addicted
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by indyryder3x
Where are you mounting your amps? I wanted to put it in wheel well behind the rear wheels but im concerned about heat with the carpet that covers it.

So how many of you guys opted to get busy with the cut off wheel and install 6x9s in the rear speaker locations? was it worth it?

Here is the system I'll be installing
Alpine CDA-9884 deck
Alpine MRP-f300 amp (75w x 4 in 2ohm)
Infinity Kappa 692.7i 6x9 rear speakers
Infinity Kappa 462.7cfp 4x6 front plate speakers

I know it will sound good, I'm just trying to figure out my install. Also, should i leave the rear panel intact or cut it and mount the grill?
I've put 6x8s in the back, don't know if 6x9s will fit. I have also put 6.5 components back there. Without a sub, the 6x8s did not fill the bass void very well. The 6.5 components I have are better, they are more like mid range drivers. I haven't put my sub in yet.

You need to watch out for water in those spots you are talking about mounting the amp- make sure the drain tubes are connected. Also, with modern amps, the heat won't be a problem- they would get hotter sitting in the back w/ a non tinted hatch (ask me how I know). I have run an amp attached to the bottom of the glove compartment and that worked well.

I personally am going to do an amp rack across the back that can be removed easily. That way my x overs, amps, cap can all be taken out for track days or space.
Old 08-04-2008, 08:08 PM
CPR
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a pretty tight system in my '86, Infinity 6.5+1"domes in the rear panels (yes a little cutting) with Infinity component 4x6's in the front doors (4"mid+.75 silk dome), and a rear custom enclosure in the back w/ 2 rockford 10-p3's and another set of Infinity 6.5+1" domes. We made an amp rack on the front of the enclosure to utilize the "tilt" dead space when the seat is up. And still enough room for a set of golf clubs!
Old 08-04-2008, 08:12 PM
CPR
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry...I got so excited I did not answer your question...using that dead space has 3 negatives....the water potential(as mentioned above) but also no matter how much Dynamat we put in there we could never get rid of all the rattles and last even with a grill something always winded up going throught the woofer @#$%
Old 08-05-2008, 12:10 AM
chrly924s
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put my Alpine MRP-f300 amp behind the glove box. I took out the airbag module, cut the glove box down to regular size. I cut a piece of 1/2" plywood to fit the space I had created, mounted the amp to it and hinged it to the top of the floor board that covers the DME/KLR. It'd held up by a piece of metal that the center screw to the glove box door passes thru. It swings down very quickly if I need access to it and it is hidden from prying eyes from inside or outside the car. I let the glove box AC hose cool that area, the MRP300 didn't get very warm whlie it was in the floor for a few days. I put Kappa 6x9 three ways in the rear side panels. Kinda wish I had just gone w/2 ways. I had to cut a little, but could probably got by making a wooden mount to put them in with. I put kappa 6.5 components in the front w/the tweeter above the window switches. Works great!!!!
Attached Images     
Old 08-05-2008, 07:45 AM
rosco
Advanced

Sorry about stealing the thread,but i have a question. Can anybody post some pictures ,how are tweeters installed. Want to upgrade music,but dont want to cut porsche door panels and dash. Maybe some good idea?
Old 08-05-2008, 07:59 AM
alex
Almost Addicted
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by rosco
Sorry about stealing the thread,but i have a question. Can anybody post some pictures ,how are tweeters installed. Want to upgrade music,but dont want to cut porsche door panels and dash. Maybe some good idea?

You are going to have to... unless you use a trick my uncle did w/his 280z. He had the tweeters in the upper corners of the windshield, attached with some sort of adhesive, the wire running through the A pillars.
Old 08-05-2008, 09:31 PM
white924s
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by chrly924s
I put my Alpine MRP-f300 amp behind the glove box. I took out the airbag module, cut the glove box down to regular size. I cut a piece of 1/2" plywood to fit the space I had created, mounted the amp to it and hinged it to the top of the floor board that covers the DME/KLR. It'd held up by a piece of metal that the center screw to the glove box door passes thru. It swings down very quickly if I need access to it and it is hidden from prying eyes from inside or outside the car. I let the glove box AC hose cool that area, the MRP300 didn't get very warm whlie it was in the floor for a few days. I put Kappa 6x9 three ways in the rear side panels. Kinda wish I had just gone w/2 ways. I had to cut a little, but could probably got by making a wooden mount to put them in with. I put kappa 6.5 components in the front w/the tweeter above the window switches. Works great!!!!
Interesting idea for the amp...do you by any chance have the measurements for the Alpine/how much space there is under there? I have a JL 300/4 that I want to use for my car (I have it from a previous installation - if I'm going to put a 4ch. amp in the car, might as well be that right?) and I like the stealth nature of your install

Also, do you by any chance have pictures of your door panels? I assume that some cutting was required to get the 6.5" woofers in, right?
Old 08-05-2008, 11:40 PM
chrly924s
Three Wheelin'

Interesting idea for the amp...do you by any chance have the measurements for the Alpine/how much space there is under there? I have a JL 300/4 that I want to use for my car (I have it from a previous installation - if I'm going to put a 4ch. amp in the car, might as well be that right?) and I like the stealth nature of your install

Also, do you by any chance have pictures of your door panels? I assume that some cutting was required to get the 6.5" woofers in, right?
Old 08-06-2008, 12:53 AM
white924s
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

sweet...thanks!

I'll look forward to them (and I'm sure others will as well!)
Old 08-06-2008, 01:03 AM
Redbird
AutoX

Default Amp and Speaker Locations

indyryder3x,

I have a 1986 944. With my old stereo setup I had mounted 6x9's in the storage compartment lids in the rear corners of the hatch area. I added some thin wood with cutouts for the speakers to the underside of the carpet "flaps" that cover the storage compartments to help stiffen them. This setup worked fairly well and the sound was pretty good too.

I went a bit overboard on my new setup (pictures included) which allowed for a much better sound and greater options for speakers. I removed the rear seat as it was never used anyway and we built an amp rack and speaker enclosure in its place. The amps are recessed into the enclosure with all wires and crossovers concealed beneath the top cover and the amps were painted to match the car. We also mounted the 2 8" subwoofers in this ported enclosure with the port facing at an angle between the two front seats. The enclosure was covered in black vinyl to match the side panels and headliner. As in CPR's install, this still leaves room for golf clubs in the back behind the enclosure.

The 5.25" midrange and tweeter are mounted in the side panels where the stock rear speakers were located. We mounted the 6.5" midrange and tweeter in custom pods on the front doors that replaced the factory front speakers and map pockets. Finally, we replaced the center console ashtray with a built-in enclosure to hold an iPod using the Kenwood iPod adapter cable.

The system is made up of the following components: Kenwood Excelon DNX8120 DVD/Nav/Bluetooth Receiver with KCA-300V iPod interface, Precision Power Amps (Power Class 450 for subs, Power Class 275 for mids and tweeters), 2 MTX Thunder 5500 T5508-04 subwoofers, MB Quart QM 215.61 Q 5.25" separates in rear panels and MB Quart QM 218.61 Q 6.5" separates in the front doors. The sound is awesome and the install came out very clean.

Good luck with your install. Just use your imagination and you can make any install fit with your equipment and taste.

Last edited by Redbird; 11-12-2011 at 12:56 AM.
Old 08-06-2008, 01:23 AM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 183 Likes on 108 Posts

Redbird,
That's about the nicest installation I have seen. I wish you would share the make up of the door panel section. I ended up making sort of a stealth folding amp mount for mine so I could hide them and still have storage where the rear seats were. Here a pic before I finished the vented covers for the amps. Speakers were 6.5 components for the rear but I never got anything better than upgraded 4x6 plates for the fronts.

Old 08-06-2008, 09:16 AM
chrly924s
Three Wheelin'

I relly like both of those!
Old 08-06-2008, 01:24 PM
Redbird
AutoX

KuHL 951,

Thanks for the comments on the install. As for the speaker enclosures for the doors they are made out of fiberglass.

The first picture shows the original door panel with the 4x6" plate speaker and the carpeted door pocket below the arm rest. The carpet was removed from the door pocket and it was used along with a MDF skeleton and speaker ring over the factory speaker location to form the basic shape. Next cloth was stretched over this combination and covered with resin. Once hard, this was used to mold the fiberglass enclosure.

In the second photo you can see the finished enclosure (covered in black vinyl to match the rest of the door) along with some of the MDF support structure. The speaker rings were molded in for strength and the MDF in the door pocket openings is used to attach the lucite inserts (painted from behind to match the car, attached using velcro). The entire enclosure is mounted to the door panel from behind. You will also note that the finished enclosure leaves room behind the grab handle as in the original setup. Finally, the 4x6" plate is removed and the opening provides the added depth needed for the 6.5" speaker's magnet to clear and a cover for the speakers is made of black grill cloth stretched around a press fit frame.

The last photo is the finished door with enclosure, speakers, grill and lucite insert installed. It was pretty involved work and my thanks go out to Travis Lalani at Rogers Stereo in Greenville, SC for his custom install of this entire system.

I like the way you handled the amp mounting in your car as well. It gives you more storage room than my install and also gives you more upgrade potential in the future. It just goes to show there are many ways to address a good install. Let us know how you finally go about the front doors when you get them done and don't forget the pics. Good luck and have fun...

Last edited by Redbird; 11-12-2011 at 12:56 AM.
Old 08-06-2008, 02:52 PM
chrly924s
Three Wheelin'

I checked my 87 924S and I don't think there is any room for this on that car.Not sure what's behind the glove box. I put this in my 951. The MRP-F300 amp(Foot Print (WxHxD) in: 10-15/16'' x 2-23/64'' x 9-27/32'' ) I put on an 11x11 piece of plywood. I cut 6 1/2" off the back of my glove box; stuff just got lost back in there and iI had to get in the pass. seat to find it. I sealed up the back of the box w/a piece of foam board from AC Moores.
I had to reset my gain last night and all I had to do was unscrew the center glove box hinge screw and swing the whole thing down to get to it.
I put Kappa 6.5 components in the front and Kappa 6X9 under the rear panels. I am not thru w/the front panels yet; still have to hide the old cut out and the crossovers.
Attached Images     

Quick Reply: Stereo questions...Amp location and 6x9s