Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stereo questions...Amp location and 6x9s

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2008, 06:27 PM
Vjgtrybno1
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My amp cohabitates with the spare tire - I use it to rune the KLA subwoofer that is mounted in the passenger side reaer wheel well.
Old 08-06-2008, 07:25 PM
white924s
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by chrly924s
I checked my 87 924S and I don't think there is any room for this on that car.Not sure what's behind the glove box. I put this in my 951. The MRP-F300 amp(Foot Print (WxHxD) in: 10-15/16'' x 2-23/64'' x 9-27/32'' ) I put on an 11x11 piece of plywood. I cut 6 1/2" off the back of my glove box; stuff just got lost back in there and iI had to get in the pass. seat to find it. I sealed up the back of the box w/a piece of foam board from AC Moores.
I had to reset my gain last night and all I had to do was unscrew the center glove box hinge screw and swing the whole thing down to get to it.
I put Kappa 6.5 components in the front and Kappa 6X9 under the rear panels. I am not thru w/the front panels yet; still have to hide the old cut out and the crossovers.
Thanks for the info...I assumed from your handle that this was for a 924, but I see that's obviously a late interior car. I think my amp is a bit bigger too...oh well

Nice looking install though And I admire how you've set it up so that it can be tweaked so easily.

To the others, beautiful installs - especially the custom door panels! Keep the pictures coming...
Old 08-06-2008, 09:00 PM
DLarsen
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 11 Posts

I bought my 86 new without the stereo (it was a $400 option back then). However, the car did come with the door and backseat speakers with the fader control mounted on the center console forward of the shift lever. I opted not to get the factory stereo knowing I wanted to spend some dollars in an aftermarket, professionally installed system. In short, I had installed a Nakamichi system consisting of separate componets (speakers and amps). Two amps were installed (one for the 8" SP80 subs and one amp for the tweeters and mid-range SP10s and SP50s). Both amps were mounted on a piece of plywood and mounted in the left side (drivers side) compartment in the rear. I was initially concerned about overheating problems; but never experienced a problem. My stereo lasted 10 or so years and then the amps started having problems. I replaced them with other make amps that fit the dimensions of this space. Earlier this year, I had to replace one of the 2 again. So I'm averaging 8 - 10 yrs on my amps living in this enclosed compartment. The Nak subs reside in a custom-made enclosure wrapped in black carpet that sit on top of these compartments (both sides). The enclosures fit that cavity space well. Overall appearance is pleasing. I used a instructional guide by Nackamichi on designing an enclosure best suited for the SP80s 8" sub (ported enclosure). It talked about the proper interior air space needed for best sound. Overall, I would highly suggest you persue these compartments for your amps. They are hidden (theft deterant) and the left space is typically not used for anything else. Also, todays market for amps offers a wide variety of sizes with specifications to meet most needs.
Old 08-06-2008, 10:14 PM
mwc951
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

Here's my amp placement.
Just a generic amp rack cover makes it very inconspicuous...which is what I wanted.
Diamond Audio HEX S6.5s in the rear, Diamond Audio HEX 5.25s in the front underneath
factory 10-speaker panels. Fosgate 8"(or is it 6"??) in a KLA cubby box.
The only downside, I doubt the amp there...certainly NOT the amp rack cover, would
pass a tech inspection for a track event.
Attached Images   
Old 08-07-2008, 10:34 PM
544DRS
Instructor

I bought a pair of Infinity Kappa 693.7 6"x9" speakers for my rears, but decided against installing them because it'd take a lot of cutting (and I'd had enough cutting so the Kappa 63.7 pair would fit in the door).

Eventually I settled on using 5.5" "mid-bass" speakers for the rear, and have them crossed-over so they don't muck up the soundstage.

For low bass? I have a Sub-Zero enclosure that holds two 10" Kicker Solo-Barics. Since I can't convince one of my kids to help me install the top part of the rear seat, the sub enclosure aims right at my back!

I'm using two Alpine amps, each amp mounted behind the front seat, kind of where your calves would be if you sat in the rear seat. The smaller amp (F250) drives my front tweeters and the rear speakers. The larger amp (F450) drives my front woofers and the subwoofer. Not a lot of power for my subs, but my car doesn't need an enema, and everything balances pretty well.

My PXA-H701 processor and CD changer are in the left rear hole. They're mounted high enough to avoid water issues, I hope!

Nick
Old 08-12-2008, 09:50 PM
indyryder3x
Intermediate

544DRS- Thats the same conclusion i came to with the 6x9s. I called crutchfield and exchanged the 4x6 and 6x9 for 2 sets of 6.5 kappas for my jeep.

I have been trying to decide what im going to be doing with the car and concluded to keep this more simple. I ended up ordering the blaupunkt 4x6 speakers and i have a JBL amp and JVC deck from a previous vehicle that I will run in this.

Thanks for all the responses
Old 08-13-2008, 12:57 AM
544DRS
Instructor

Yeah, you're on the right track. The stereo gear I put in cost more than my car, and (unfortunately) I'm certain it'll all be stolen the first time I leave my car parked anywhere unsecure.

Nick

Quick Reply: Stereo questions...Amp location and 6x9s