Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche 951 Turbo RS Project

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2008, 08:52 PM
Mac 86 951
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Porsche 951 Turbo RS Project

Ok, it has been a LONG time since I've posted here. College has come and gone, several jobs have too. Now a family is about, and the time for the quiet brakes in the garage full of $#!*'s and %^#@!s is about the only way I can really relax.

Idea:
Thanks to June 2008s Panorama, I've decided that my 951 track/street car is getting slowly converted to a 951 RS. I know you all will have differing opinions as to who/what/where/when on this project, but I figure I'll start off a thread of my project, and plans.

Start: 1986 951, Guards Red, Interior 1/2 stripped (back end and no rear seats)
Corbeau LG1 seats (WIDE cause I'm 6'5 and they fit my shoulders) FYI, These seats don't really fit in the porsche with carpet... If you like them, get the standard size.

Weltmeister Harness bar and 6-point harness, cause the seats are too wide to keep the standard seatbelt

I've just installed the Momo Mod D7 steering wheel. I love it! I had to see it in the car before I was hooked.

Mechanicals:
Stock Engine, with standard Oh-Sh!% maint. performed. College funds forced cheap fixes with slightly upgraded parts, so instead of replacing my CV valve, I've replaced it with a manual boost controller (Norgren has one for $10) and a rebuilt dual-port waste gate.

Lindsey Racing 3" Exhaust, nothing special.

Rolling on 17x7.5/9 Turbo twist replicas. Again, I would recommend the look, don't get the replicas. they are more than double the weight of my stock Fuchs.

Next Future Upgrade:
Engine Management System. I want a stand-alone system that can handle what ever sensor I need for either my crappy built stocker, or a new solid built engine on the way.
Ideas: Motec, or Electromotive. I like the idea of ignition control, no distributor, and one coil per cylinder. Any thoughts on this?

PS If someone could aid me in uploading pics, I'll post some of the car as is, as well as how it goes.

Let me know what you think, as well as ideas etc...
-Mac
Old 08-01-2008, 09:00 PM
Darwantae951

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

I think you should throw up some pictures.

As far as engine management, look to SFR or Chris White. I think the Use the Tec3 or Tec GT or something like that. I'm not very well versed in the realm of stand alone.
Old 08-01-2008, 09:17 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

I've been doing the same thing over the past few years, except making a 944CS/RS verses the 951 version. My mantra has been to stick with "what would have the factory done" and I've tried to stick to Porsche (or replica) parts that would have been available.

My only suggested change to your project would to be use Fuchs instead since you have an early 951. 8's in the front, 9's from a 930 in the back. That's what I'm running and it is a very light set up that still puts a decent contact patch down on the pavement.
Old 08-01-2008, 10:31 PM
Mac 86 951
Advanced

Electromotive makes the TEC3R, which I have heard lots of good things about. Downside: GM Engine sensors... While Motec uses whatever sensors you may have, but doesn't seem to have near the support ot the Electromotive system.

Either one seems a bit more attractive when building and installing a new engine, which I am considering as my current car is/was a bit of a Mechanic's Special.

As for going with Factory: I really like that idea, as the factory developed parts in the same fashion as true racers. If it works, try it. I love the idea of having the intercooler in a heat-insulated box that vents out of the hood. As well as the Carbon fiber dash, etc... What made me most interested is that even though they had a 3.0L engine, they used the 2.5L 8V head. They also were restricted to ~330HP which is not out of range of a well built 2.5L turbo. Torque curves being a bit different however.

I've also had the suspension upgraded to Autocross standards, with koni adjustables, good sway bars, and 250lbs springs in front. Fuchs are wonderful, however, they are quite a bit expensive for a good set. I think I'll try CCW or other custom wheel source for the race tires. I don't mind the heavy wheels for the street (I try to drive within reason, more so when traffic is around).

-Mac
Old 08-02-2008, 12:10 AM
rad_951
Rennlist Member

The TECR3 should be able to use the Porsche TPS.
Old 08-02-2008, 04:29 AM
pkt1213
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Someone correct me if I am wrong but I thought those 3L engines used the 2.7L 8V head. Close but it's matched to the larger bore from what I remember when reseaching a 3.0L turbo project a couple of years ago.
Old 08-02-2008, 02:08 PM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice project... my 86 is essentially going down the same route right now.

Lots of work left to do... but gotta have something to keep me occupied.
Old 08-02-2008, 02:37 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 642 Likes on 497 Posts

definitely go look for oem twists if you like that style wheel, if you want to make this a serious car you need to take alot of unsprung weight off the suspension
Old 08-05-2008, 12:15 AM
Mac 86 951
Advanced

I would agree about unsprung weight. Porsche has been the forerunner for wheel design (Fuchs), and it is pathetic to have a replica wheel that weighs 25lbs each on my Porsche. These will stay my "street" tires, while a new set of CCWs, can be ordered for not much more than a set of 16x8/9 Fuchs. Sized so that racing tires are relatively affordable...

The other dilemmas that present themselves:

Interior needs help. I LOVE the GT racing Carbon Fiber Dash. I'll hate every minute working with it, but once installed, it looks hot. I was thinking for a while that I'd like to keep this car border-line street legal, which in the south west means lights, signals, Flames from the exhaust, only 3 bullets per minute, and only 5 empty beer cans in the car...

Exterior is getting reworked. Not much I can say about this, I love the lines, but who doesn't need +2" on each fender? Or a nose that isn't broken (oil cooler hanging by plumbers tape), and that rear bumper can be axed...

Current stock motor was rebuilt once, but they must have been the one customer of JB Weld that actually used it to hold the block together... Not really that bad, I'm using it as a place-holder for a real rebuild.

So, for the moment I am breaking down the projects one at a time. As budget allows, such and such gets done, but in the mean time I can work on blah type stuff.

So far the entire rear end interior has been stripped up to and including the back seats. Anyone interested in how much the car weighs with easy weight savings?
2860lbs ->65% of the weight will be in the front if all you do is remove the power steering, (replace with manual steering) and remove all of the interior and spare tire up to and including the back seat.
Old 08-05-2008, 12:38 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 642 Likes on 497 Posts

if thats really how much weight is up front now youll want a big front swaybar to make the rear wheels grip better in turns...

where in the SW are you? i might be interested in some of your old parts...
Old 09-06-2008, 11:59 PM
Mac 86 951
Advanced

Default Sorry for the long delay

Im in Albuquerque.

Most of the suspension parts are long gone, however, I may have a few other parts.

-Mac

Quick Reply: Porsche 951 Turbo RS Project