Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sneak pics from US Top Gear... 944 content

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2008 | 05:54 PM
jtsporsche
Three Wheelin'

quick question, how can yall tell that the 944 is an early model?
Old 07-30-2008 | 06:01 PM
MM951
Race Director

Antenna in the fender + cookie cutters + the trim piece that goes from the windshield over the roof
Old 07-30-2008 | 06:02 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by jtsporsche
quick question, how can yall tell that the 944 is an early model?
Wheels are cookie cutters indicating early offset and it has the antenna on the front left fender which says pre '85.
Old 07-30-2008 | 09:33 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Jon your car is looking a lot like another car I know.......................

Looks great!
Old 07-30-2008 | 09:58 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by tifosiman
Jon your car is looking a lot like another car I know.......................

Looks great!
Jeremy, your car has always been an inspiration of mine and stayed as my desktop background for a long time. It was very tastefully done. I swear it wasnt until after i painted my Cup II's did i realize yours were the same color also...
Old 07-31-2008 | 01:34 PM
StoogeMoe
Rennlist Member

Is that show still on? I used to catch every once in a while, but haven't seen it in over a year.
Old 07-31-2008 | 01:39 PM
ATL944
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by StoogeMoe
Is that show still on? I used to catch every once in a while, but haven't seen it in over a year.
The British version is still on, the USA version doesn't premiere until this fall I think.
Old 07-31-2008 | 03:43 PM
m73m95
Nordschleife Master

Is it still on?

ITS THE GREATEST SHOW ON TV!! (the UK version...the American one will blow)
Old 07-31-2008 | 06:37 PM
jtsporsche
Three Wheelin'

i never see the UK one any more. i know they use to show it on the discovery channel here in the U.S., but that was a while ago.
Old 07-31-2008 | 07:23 PM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

Season 11 has been great!

Our own brad copping from rennlist hosts the rips:

http://www.bcopping.com/tg
Old 08-01-2008 | 01:14 PM
SamGrant951
Race Director

Grabbed this from bimmerforums...from someone that was at the pilot taping:

Originally Posted by Final Gear
They did the Star in a Reasonably Priced Car first, to accommodate the guest. The celebrity guest was actually The Hoff! David Hasselhoff himself. Actually a funny segment and a great way to loosen the crowd up once we saw the track was a respectable copy of the original. The first turn is called Talledega and the last big left turn is called the Al Gore.

They then reset for the show open, the three guys introduced themselves and they showed the opening titles which got everyone excited. The shots from that 20-30 seconds looked amazing. After the titles they introduced the fourth team member, The Stig. This was another film with an Ariel Atom dropped from a cargo plane by parachute and The Stig with a parachute pack chasing it. The car lands but you don't see The Stig open his chute, it cuts right to Stiggy driving the Atom through the desert. The photography is exactly what you would expect from Top Gear. I assume that's because its the same people making the show and they know how its done.

Next was the cheap car challenge. Each guy was given $2500 in Las Vegas and told to buy a classic 80's sports car. Adam had to buy an American car and the other two had to buy a foreign. Eric bought a Porsche (not sure what model I'm not a car buff), Tanner bought a Japanese car I can't remember and Adam bought a Pontiac Firebird. The first challenge was to drive to a track, with penalties for breakdowns. Once they were at the track, Stig set lap times with the fastest time winning. They then set up a corridor of junk and the guys had to drive the car through the corridor at 30 MPH with no hands on the wheel. This had some great 80's TV crash references with boxes flying everywhere. They were then given $100 to prepare their car for a trip to the bottom of Death Valley. After the guys wandered around a junk yard looking for ideas there was a commercial break.

Next was a Adam reviewing the new Audi R8, which was then joined by Tanner in the new Aston Martin. Both cars were in the $120K range for comparison. They then argued about the cars in the studio before showing the Stig taking both out for a lap. These were the first two cars on the leaderboard. Adam made fun of the Aston Martin for being the "third best Aston Martin on the market" and Tanner called the Audi boring and German.

And now, the news. There were a few reshoots of this segment so the guys could adlib new takes and I'm sure only a few will make the cut. Adam Corolla is very, very funny. Clarkson is the best at the in car review obviously, but I really enjoyed watching Adam in the studio. There was a planted bit where a girl in the audience was asked a question and I'm pretty sure she was an actress I have seen before on television. She stayed for the whole shoot as an audience member though, so I'll give her props for sticking it out with the rest of us.

After the news they finished off the cheap car challenge. All three guys had made ridiculous "cooling" modifications to their cars in true Top Gear fashion. In fact, I could easily see the same gag being used for their UK counterparts. They then drove to the bottom of Death Valley where they were given one final challenge. This was the highlight of the night. Each car was dropped off a bridge, connected to a massive bungee cord. There would be points deducted for each bit that fell off of the car.

After the film the guys went over the points for each challenge. This was reshot several times. Mostly because none of the guys could do math or remember how many points each challenge was or why they were assigned. There was plenty of opportunity for Adam to adlib some funny lines with each retake so it wasn't too boring. Everyone was dead tired by this point but they had to bring up a shot from the opening of the show (which was like 6 hours ago) and rearrange everyone into the same positions they were in the audience to do a 10 second pickup. Mercifully that was the last shot.

The show looks great, everyone had fun watching the filmed segments, the audience was filled with fans of the original show and I think everyone was impressed with how much they were able to live up to it.
Old 08-01-2008 | 01:27 PM
jtsporsche
Three Wheelin'

this "Tanner" you speak of, is that Tanner Foust?
Old 08-01-2008 | 01:32 PM
ATL944
Nordschleife Master

Yeah, Tanner Foust is one of the hosts. BTW, I believe Top Gear only broadcasts on BBC now.

Quick Reply: Sneak pics from US Top Gear... 944 content