Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Evil Snap Ring Colouring Book

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 05:21 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by MyBlackCar
Snap ring pliers are worthless. Use needle nose pliers.
+1
Old 07-30-2008, 12:23 PM
MyBlackCar
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Whisper
Yeah, I considered pulling the waterpump, but I understand that involves doing the timing belt as well, and that would have turned what was supposed to be a small job into a big one.

It's pretty unusual to need to do just the thermostat, but mine was clearly letting the engine get too hot before it kicked on. I think it may have just been defective, because it was fairly new; the last owner did put in a new pump about 6000 miles ago, and it was quite clean and shiny when I got it out, but incredibly stiff.

Anyway, I replaced it with one rated at 160 F (instead of the stock 180), and everything runs much cooler now.
It can be done on the car. However, it requires some creativity. In addition to the needle nose pliers, I used a small flat screwdriver to unseat one edge of the snap ring and looped steel wire into the hole. Pull outward (with a towel around the wire) and use the screwdriver to slowly wedge the ring out. Getting that little incarnate of evil out was almost as good as an orgasm.
Old 07-30-2008, 02:28 PM
89magic98
In the Sink
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 75 Posts

The Lisle LIS72500 helped me get the snap ring out with the pump in the car. Much better than pliers.

The only downside is the the tool wasn't made to remove inside snap rings, so it's weaker in that direction. You may need to replace the crummy washer with a circlip to hold the tool together.
Old 07-30-2008, 02:56 PM
iloveporsches
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't get why everyone cries about that snap-ring. Mine went out and in very easily. Like 20 seconds each way.

The car was on a lift, though.
Old 07-30-2008, 03:24 PM
ArcticSteve
Instructor

In mechanics creativity and endurance is directly proportional to tools/equipment.

If I had the exact set of snap ring pliers for that app, pliers with prongs so far reaching as to not hit the end of the thermostat, I could extract that snap ring while the car straddled a culvert, at night, in a rain storm using a lighter, hahaha. The thermostat housing, the deep location of the ring (12mm in my pump) and the thermostat itself just make for a perfect storm for most common pliers. It's like most things the first time. I spent 2 hours looking for pliers and 2 minutes poking at the thing.
Old 07-30-2008, 07:08 PM
Whisper
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by iloveporsches
I don't get why everyone cries about that snap-ring. Mine went out and in very easily. Like 20 seconds each way.
You know, I've seen a few people saying that. I've come to the conclusion that not all of these rings and pumps are precisely the same in this detail.

It also helps to have the right tools (I probably didn't), and to be on a lift (I wasn't), but that ring was fierce was any standards.
Old 07-30-2008, 07:16 PM
iloveporsches
Race Director

Originally Posted by ArcticSteve
In mechanics creativity and endurance is directly proportional to tools/equipment.

If I had the exact set of snap ring pliers for that app, pliers with prongs so far reaching as to not hit the end of the thermostat, I could extract that snap ring while the car straddled a culvert, at night, in a rain storm using a lighter, hahaha. The thermostat housing, the deep location of the ring (12mm in my pump) and the thermostat itself just make for a perfect storm for most common pliers. It's like most things the first time. I spent 2 hours looking for pliers and 2 minutes poking at the thing.
Originally Posted by Whisper
You know, I've seen a few people saying that. I've come to the conclusion that not all of these rings and pumps are precisely the same in this detail.

It also helps to have the right tools (I probably didn't), and to be on a lift (I wasn't), but that ring was fierce was any standards.
Having the proper tools are the key to any job!
Old 07-30-2008, 10:11 PM
m73m95
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

It also depends on what direction the snap ring is turned.

Most people with common intelligence put the snap ring back in facing either straight up or straight down, so you can get at it.

My PO has sub-ape intelligence (based on several "fixes" he's made to my car...and I find more all the time). He installed the snap ring with the opening facing the front of the car. So, any snap ring pliers I used would hit the frame rail, or the radiator. It took me hours to find/make the "correct" tool....and then 20sec to get it out, and back in.
Old 07-31-2008, 01:59 AM
Calmchaos
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah mine was facing towards the front too, and I ended up cutting the end off my snap ring pliers just so I could fit them in there.
I made sure to face is straight down this time.

Quick Reply: The Evil Snap Ring Colouring Book