Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coolant Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2002, 02:47 AM
DustinWayman
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Coolant Question

Hey everyone, a few months ago I just put about 3 or 4 cups of pre mixed prestone anti-freeze into my coolant resovior. Now I read all of these horror stories about prestone coolant, do you think I am okay? or could this have caused damage to my engine already? Should I flush my system ASAP? Thanks so much, I really really appreciate the help.

Thanks,
~Dust
Old 11-24-2002, 03:01 AM
Perry 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 53 Posts
Depends on the type of anti-freeze it was. If it was green, it most likely was not Phosphate free. If it was orange or pink, it should be fine.

The reason you want to avoid Phosphate containing anti-freeze is because it can react with the aluminum in the cooling system. It then attracts more and more phosphates and corrosion, and ends up killing the efficiency of the cooling system. Passages in the radiator get clogged, passages in the head and block get a filth all over them, and the heat transfer is reduced from it.

Long explination for a quick solution. If you put the green stuff it in, flush out the system with clean water and refill with 1/2 distilled water and 1/2 Phosphate free anti-freeze.
Old 11-24-2002, 08:57 AM
Pilot Dave
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Radiators do get clogged and you can't clean them because they are aluminum. Ya gotta replace em.

I use Prestone Extended Life which is Phosphate and Silicate free.
Old 11-24-2002, 10:41 AM
993Maineiac
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 169 Likes on 113 Posts
Pilot Dave wrote[QUOTE] ]Radiators do get clogged and you can't clean them because they are aluminum. Ya gotta replace em. [/QUOTE

Not to panic with your newer cabriolet. The radiator is probably fine. I'm going to replace mine in the spring, but it is a much older car and this is preventative. To be conservative I would agree with Perry and flush and fill the coolant. Easy job but make sure to bleed the system well after the job. Most of us use Autobaun (Porsche antifreeze) or the VW blue-not the extended life VW. There are a lot of posts on antifreeze and some do use regular Prestone with apparently no ill effects. Good Luck.

Dave-Are you flying those four fan clear air converters that do that long XC to do the bounce drill at Bangor all the time???

Al
Old 11-24-2002, 10:41 AM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It is a fairly confusing subject. I believe the major points with DexCool (orange, extended life) is to not mix it with other coolants or let the system run low on coolant and introduce too much air.

So, if you poured some premixed DexCool into a system filled with who knows what, I would flush things out and start over fresh. The GM enthusiasts had some pretty frightening pictures of DexCool run amuck corrosion. But all the horror stories seemed to have the aforementioned two items involved.

It takes awhile for the chemical reactions to occur. I wouldn't go out and shoot myself over what you did, nut I would pull the plug on the coolant ASAP.

Quick Reply: Coolant Question