Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

944/51 Exhaust Heat Shield (for fuel lines)

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2002, 09:00 PM
951and944S
Race Car

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts
Lightbulb 944/51 Exhaust Heat Shield (for fuel lines)

Hey guys, I'm working on ideas for heat shields to protect the fuel lines from excessive heat.

I made a design that bolts to existing cambox allen bolts along the bottom row about 10 inches wide, and notched to fit the body at the shock tower, trouble is, it'll have to be made in two separate parts, cause it's too big to install as one part.

So I came up with the idea of four separate shields, one for each pipe, made of polished aluminium, and bolted on, inserting small brackets (welded) between the manifold and the exhaust manifold nut.

Here's a few pics, I don't currently have one of the first design (plate) for posting, but what's you guy's take on these..?

Thanks for the input..

From the front, one shield on cylinder #4 pipe..

From the top....

Terry
Old 05-25-2002, 09:10 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That looks great!

BTW, BP offered the job the other day but we have yet to decide on money. So once we agree, I'll be spending 3.5 to 4 days a week in N.O., off Thursday afternoon until Monday.

Have you thought about sending your exhaust manifolds to Jet-Hot in Pascagoula? They did mine for $118, inside and out. Before temps were 496° - 513°, right the exit point of the head, no heat shielding. After the exhaust were Jet-Hot coated, temps were 294° - 308°, after driving the car 30 minutes. I checked them the other day and they were pretty much the same and I have driven the car hard getting the Kokeln system tuned. The turbo down pipe went from 480°-490° to 268°-290°.

Old 05-25-2002, 09:14 PM
951and944S
Race Car

Oh yeah, one more thing (I'm the king of multi posting).........

The manifolds in the pics above are from a fire damaged car I purchased as a restore project, so they were normally dulled and also sooty (is that a word)....

Check out the same manifold for cylinder #1 & #4 after about two hours of polishing.....

Me holding in left hand, shirt reflecting..

Manifold standing on a chair arm rail...'79 Targa in background

Polished shields in above post with polished manifolds coming next.

I'm also going to document some pictures of a Raytech temparature reading instrument, displaying temps of the exhaust with and without the shields (both designs)

Take care
Terry
Old 05-25-2002, 09:23 PM
951and944S
Race Car

Wow Ski, that's an enormous difference in temparatures....

Hope I get near the same results...

You posted fast on that first post, so fast that I wasn't able to load the polished manifold pic yet.....

I like things shiny under the hood, I usually chrome the shield for the master cylinder, and some miscelaneous water pipes, the fuel rail, etc.. when restoring an engine.

I love reflections......

BTW, any idea when we could plan that run up the Hwy 7....?
Some listers from Houston, Austin area seemed interested.....!
Ahhhh those twisy's around Jasper/Ponca sure are nice.....!

Take care....
Old 05-26-2002, 01:14 AM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks great! Lots of work but will it keep that finish with the temps it will see?
Old 05-26-2002, 02:05 PM
951and944S
Race Car

Probably not Beab, but a guy, actually my landlord for my shop space, runs an exhaust biz next to me.

There are several different vendors he buys piping and mufflers from who deliver weekly.
I ask each of them for brochures showing their offerings hoping one of them was a "Bullet" brand distributor.
No Bullet yet, but Magnaflow, Ractive and other Stainless steel muffler makers are now offering, "pre-blued" pipes and mufflers...

Go figure..?

Buy a brand new muffler, and the "in" thing is to have it look previously used.....lol
I've also seen this effect offered on brand new motorcycle exhaust..
Next thing I guess is a new "previously rider" bike.....
Old 05-26-2002, 08:18 PM
keith
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
years ago on the email list (PorscheList days, perhaps?) someone (John Anderson, maybe?) was selling a sheet that mounted to the slots in the strut tower that acted as a heatsheild and spanned the gap between the sheetmetal and yhe base of the head. It looked good and appeared to be very practical, although I have no idea what it did for airflow in the engine compartment...

Was that you John? Are those heatsheets still available?
Old 05-26-2002, 11:36 PM
Loki
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

I made a heat shield similar to the one Keith mentioned. It seems to help quite a bit with under hood temps. I just cut it out of a 1/8in piece of aluminum and had my roomate take it to work to get a perfect bend. I have pics, but keep forgetting to bring them to work. Also, I'm so computer illiterate, I don't know how to post them on this board. One of these days I'll email the pics to a couple of people that expressed interest and they could probably post them easier than myself(limited online access). If I do make them they will be inexpensive and simple.

Chris

Quick Reply: 944/51 Exhaust Heat Shield (for fuel lines)