Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT: networking question

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2003, 12:49 AM
Cass944
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post OT: networking question

im trying to hook two computers up to a router to share my cable connection. One has windows ME and works fine with the router. The other one has windows XP and does not work, I have an IP and subnet mask but i DO NOT have a default gateway. what is a reason why i just wouldnt not have one. If i directly connect the modem to the computer then i have a default gateway and i can get online. but if i go through the router it wont have one. Its a Netgear router, I went to theyre website and it says all theyre routers will work with XP.

thanks,
and sorry for the extreme off topicness of this. I just need help quick and i know this is a good place to get it.
Old 05-22-2003, 12:55 AM
IMB951
Drifting

It may be a conflict with the firewalls if your computer has one as well as the router. I have a netgear router with a built in firewall and it messed up when I ran another one from my computer. Although all of the computers in our home network all run 2000 pro... which is best for networking IMO...
Old 05-22-2003, 01:06 AM
tjbreen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dump the Netgear and buy a Linksys BEFSR41. It is plug and play and will work right out of the box for any OS. The Linksys is a DHCP server and client. Just make sure both computers are set to obtain IP adresses and DNS servers automatically and the Linksys will set them up on the next re-boot.

Tom Breen
Old 05-22-2003, 01:07 AM
DanD
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
If the router has DHCP, try setting the XP to DHCP instead of entering the IP address manually. It should grab one off the Netgear and take off.

It's the setting "Obtain an address automatically" under Internet Protocol properties.
Old 05-22-2003, 01:11 AM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

Netgear is DHCP I believe as well...

In XP network settings make everything auto under TCP/IP settings (IP/DNS, both auto obtain)

Try to access the internet for ****s and giggles...

Then go to start, run "cmd"

type in "ipconfig /release"
should show a bunch of 0.0.0.0
hit enter
then "ipconfig /renew"
Should see some numbers show up...may take a little while (15secs sometimes...sometimes more sometimes less)...

Then test the internet...see if it works.

Do the above only after the ME computer is working and online...this will confirm that the router itself is working fine.
Old 05-22-2003, 01:18 AM
Cass944
Drifting

yeah the computer with ME works fine. I have everything set to auto. I have not tried the comand promp release/renew though. Ill try that tomarrow.

When i open the adapter properties and click the "repair" button it just freezes up and i ahve to ctr alt del ro else after like 10 minutes it will finaly say it timed out.
Old 05-22-2003, 01:20 AM
Ag951
Three Wheelin'

You need the gateway setting.
The gateway is your router. The ip is usually defaulted to 192.168.1.1 (or the .1 for your private subnet).
Windows networking sucks. Don't use windows and the problems disappear.
Old 05-22-2003, 01:31 AM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by Ag951:
<strong>You need the gateway setting.
The gateway is your router. The ip is usually defaulted to 192.168.1.1 (or the .1 for your private subnet).
Windows networking sucks. Don't use windows and the problems disappear.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Funny, I configured my computer to work with my router at home in no more than 5-10 seconds...

I have linux installed too...Mandrake 9.1...I've yet to bother reconfiguring it for home (just came back from college a week ago)....you know why?

1) Windows works better...My computer is rock solid stable...I've had it on for weeks at a time with no problems..

2) Too much hassle to do it in Linux...The only easy way I know of doing it is to boot up off the mandrake CD and use their fancy configurator tool. Yes, there's is netconfig...but thats such a huge hassle...there's no reason to bother futzing with it.

There's no reason to use linux for the average home user...
Old 05-22-2003, 01:57 AM
ilikemy944
Going with the pack
is quite monotonous.
Rennlist Member

Does the modem support the router as a connection? When setting up dsl connections, I've run into the problem that some of the modems had a built in router, this will mean you can't use another router. If you change the router's settings to be just a hub, or disable its routing features, basically it will just be the computers plugged into the modem, which will probably work.
Old 05-22-2003, 02:13 AM
deni durrell
Three Wheelin'

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">
Dump the Netgear and buy a Linksys BEFSR41..
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">i've bought and configurd 10-15 BEFSR41 routers and they work ok, but I have had the unlucky chance to do RMAs (sent back to Linksys) on a few of them, which was not cool. However, I think the Netgear FVS318 and/or the WGR614 is by far a superior product and it's definitely more elegant in terms of interface and services. I've had to do some network troubleshooting with those boxes and they are easier to navigate and configure than the BEFSR41 or the BEFVP41 (they are more user friendly). I've intstalled maybe five or six of them so far.

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Windows networking sucks. Don't use windows and the problems disappear.</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">by saying that, it sounds like you: a. are a neophyte; b. don't know how to network; and c. or don't know computers operating systems well enough. i used to say that about macintosh computers (os 8,9,10) until i familiarised myself with them, as time went by. now they are just as easy to network, even if it takes me a couple extra seconds to figure out where the networking options are located. other than that, they are better running linux...

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">
Too much hassle to do it in Linux...
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Just change the window environment (Gnome, KDE, etc.) to make it easier to navigate and then configure only what you need. Linux is by far the most elegant and rock solid OS - it's miles ahead of Mac and MS Windows. It's modular and can be completely disassembled and re-configured; it will run on an iMac (IBM PowerPC); a DEC (Compaq/HP) Alpha; an Intel/AMD x86 chip and zillions of other flavors, including 64-bit processors. Whenever I use the OS (Red Hat 8.1), I have a hard time going back to my familar Win 2000 desktop.. it seems klunky and inefficient. The base of Mac OS 10 is closer than Win XP, but it's not completely refined. Although I wouldn't recommend it for a new user, a person with 0.25% of a normal brain ("the average home user") could install the operating system without too much trouble.

Cass944:

like the guys before said, set your network card to DHCP or "automatic" and you can even just reboot the thing and it should grab an address from the Netgear (model?) and it should work, unless the settings on the router were modified. Good luck.
<a href="http://www.ddurrelltech.com/ddtech" target="_blank">www.ddurrelltech.com/ddtech</a>
Old 05-22-2003, 02:17 AM
deni durrell
Three Wheelin'

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Does the modem support the router as a connection? When setting up dsl connections, I've run into the problem that some of the modems had a built in router, this will mean you can't use another router. If you change the router's settings to be just a hub, or disable its routing features, basically it will just be the computers plugged into the modem, which will probably work.</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">true, and also don't forget to disable the DHCP service on one of them.
Old 05-22-2003, 02:24 AM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

Deni, I've been running KDE...

If you can tell me a simple, no fuss no hassle way to setup linux networking so that it uses DHCP to connect to my router...I'll start using it when I'm bored again. It seems you have a good handle on most OS's..
Old 05-22-2003, 02:30 AM
UDPride
Thinking outside da' bun...
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 470 Likes on 242 Posts
Ive had pretty good luck with the 8-port Linksys.

Just remember to static IP your printer with an address in the same subnet otherwise on a router reboot the IP may change in DHCP mode and youll be sending print jobs to an old IP. All my DHCP stuff begins with 192.168.1.100 and I give all my static stuff x.x.x.150 on up.
Old 05-22-2003, 11:46 AM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Win ME is abominable. WinXP works fine as a router itself- put in a second network card on the XP box and use the PC AS a router.. just assign different IP's to each NIC.. Automatic on primary internet nic, and assign a generic IP to the second. Go to <a href="http://www.microsoft.technet.com" target="_blank">www.microsoft.technet.com</a> and search for network setup..

Jeez. you guys make it so hard by adding external hardware on a simple peer to peer network. XP will support 10 clients out of the box..i.e. If you have enough slots you could reroute 10 IP's (with its own internal IP and subnet- identical gateway (The IP of the XP box) thru the XP box then load balance and firewall once at the termination point (the network connection to the internet).
with this scenario you could also virus scan once, packet sniff across the lan.. etc

Windows 2000 Pro is the best OS MS ever made for small LAN's. period. Adding a ME box to a network is begging for a migrain headache. It was never designed to be a client- let alone any sort of host. Win98 is perfect for peer to peer. MS Networking works just fine if you know how to administer it.
Oh. I run RedHat8 and I LOVE it. and it doesn't take a neophyte to install/config and run it. and its FREE!
Old 05-22-2003, 01:34 PM
jp944
Pro

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by adrial:
Deni, I've been running KDE...

If you can tell me a simple, no fuss no hassle way to setup linux networking so that it uses DHCP to connect to my router</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">The easiest configuration gui I've seen for Linux is YAST2 bundled with SuSE linux. Just as easy as MS Windows to setup / change. Linuxconf isn't bad if you have the GNOME libraries installed.

Quick Reply: OT: networking question